Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Who's Your Favorite?

Who's your favorite character so far? (Could be a minor character too, don't forget.)

I think I like Fermina the best, for the obvious reasons. She's gutsy, we get to watch her grow up and make difficult decisions.

But one of my favorite minor characters is her Aunt Ecolastica who, despite what her gut told her to do, risked everything for the sake of Fermina and Florentino's budding romance.

I also love Florentino's mama! Especially when she says thinks like, "Take advantage of it now, while you are young, and suffer all you can ... because these things don't last your whole life." (When he was confined to bed with love sickness. A topic we should talk about shortly.)

Who's capturing your imagination the most?
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Re: Who's Your Favorite?

Florentino was probably my favorite in the novel because I related to him a lot; he's probably just a more exaggerated version of myself. Reading about him forced me to delve deeper into my mind and soul, and though it was almost painful at times, it was fulfilling and beautiful. (Don't know if that makes sense, so I apologize. ) I like his mother, too; I smiled to myself when I read the quote you posted from her, because I had actually written that down as I was reading. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Re: Who's Your Favorite?

APenForYourThoughts wrote: Florentino was probably my favorite in the novel because I related to him a lot; he's probably just a more exaggerated version of myself. Reading about him forced me to delve deeper into my mind and soul, and though it was almost painful at times, it was fulfilling and beautiful. (Don't know if that makes sense, so I apologize. ) I like his mother, too; I smiled to myself when I read the quote you posted from her, because I had actually written that down as I was reading. :smileyhappy:

Hi Pen,

Florentino's lovestruck ways are definitely one of the highlights of the entire book, from the first chapter on, without fail. I see what you're saying about the exaggeratedness (how's that for a word?) of his behavior and emotions. On one level, it seems entirely adorable. What right-minded gal could refuse such love?

On another level, I wonder if his intensity is what ultimately turned Fermina off at the end of Chapter 2.

That scene of her big realization:
"...but now, instead of the commotion of love, she felt the abyss of disenchantment. In an instant the magnitude of her own mistake was revealed to her, and she asked herself, appalled, how she could have nurtured such a chimera in her heart for so long and with so much ferocity."

My margin notes read simply, "Why?!?!"

I mean, was it really that simple for her to dismiss him in that moment? Was she momentarily creeped out, or was there something more? GGM doesn't fully explain, does he? The language here is pretty harsh -- abyss of disenchantment! appalled! a chimera! Was this just a rash, youthful decision that stained the rest of her life with regret?

And if this is the case, it makes Florentino and his persistence that much more loveable. (I think of his actions at Dr. Urbino's funeral in Ch. 1 and how GGM described him as "a useful and serious old man.")

Emotions run deep and wide in this one!
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 989 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: