Author
Maeve_Binchy
0 Kudos

Welcome from Maeve Binchy

Hello everyone,

It's very exciting for me to meet a group of readers who are about to read Whitethorn Woods.

I did enjoy writing this and trying to get into the minds of a great many different people.

Ireland has changed a great deal during my lifetime. When I was young, marriages lasted forever, the Catholic Church was very powerful, the Irish were very poor and couldn't earn a living at home.

We were not at all confident about ourselves and we did not have great expectations about life ahead. But it's so different now and for a writer it's fascinating to notice all the changes.

People don't really change all that much, they are the same as ever -- full of hopes and dreams and uncertainties. But their circumstances do change, and that's important to remember.

Its very pleasing to know that you readers who live thousands of miles away from me like my stories. This is what keeps me going, and makes me go up my spiral staircase and open up my laptop computer. Just the thought that there are readers out there willing to share my stories with me!

Lets hope you enjoy them!

All the very best,

Maeve Binchy

New User
Jerri
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from Maeve Binchy

Maeve_Binchy wrote:
Hello everyone,

It's very exciting for me to meet a group of readers who are about to read Whitethorn Woods.

I did enjoy writing this and trying to get into the minds of a great many different people.

Ireland has changed a great deal during my lifetime. When I was young, marriages lasted forever, the Catholic Church was very powerful, the Irish were very poor and couldn't earn a living at home.

We were not at all confident about ourselves and we did not have great expectations about life ahead. But it's so different now and for a writer it's fascinating to notice all the changes.

People don't really change all that much, they are the same as ever -- full of hopes and dreams and uncertainties. But their circumstances do change, and that's important to remember.

Its very pleasing to know that you readers who live thousands of miles away from me like my stories. This is what keeps me going, and makes me go up my spiral staircase and open up my laptop computer. Just the thought that there are readers out there willing to share my stories with me!

Lets hope you enjoy them!

All the very best,

Maeve Binchy

Maeve-

I have been an avid reader of your books for many years. It makes me feel I am back in Ireland each time. We have been to Ireland twice in 10 years, and between those two visits Ireland changed considerably. We are planning our third trip next year.

I have already enjoyed reading Whitethorn Woods, loved the characters and how they entered acted with each other. So as not give anything away to those who haven't read or finish I will leave it there and await for the next adventure.

Jerri
New User
Linds1105
0 Kudos

This is just a quick post to let you know that although I may not have time to read your latest book this month, I am so happy that you have written another. I will definitely read it over the summer, if not before.

In 1996, I took my first trip to Ireland as a single woman traveling alone. YOU were my constant companion. I read "Circle of Friends" on the plane trip from NY to Ireland. When I got to Dublin, I went to a book store and bought another. I spent two weeks in Ireland, staying in B & B's, traveling by bus and train.

Every time I finished one of your books, I would leave it in a B & B night stand for the next guest, then quickly buy another for the next train/bus trip and/or night time reading after my daily Irish adventures. It was so much fun to be reading about the places I had just seen for the first time.

At the time I was living in NYC. Now, I am married and living in Bellingham, WA, north of Seattle. The weather her is a wee bit of Ireland! I love it.

So, I thought you might like to know the companionship and fun your novels gave "An American in Ireland."
New User
atm53
0 Kudos

Hi, Maeve,

Thank you so much for your new book, Whitethorn Woods. I loved your earlier novels, set in the Ireland of the 1950s and 60s, but I equally love reading about the Ireland of today. It sounds as if a lot of the changes in Ireland are the same as the changes here in the US... reinforcing my belief that people are more alike than they are different, the world over.

At any rate, this reader thousands of miles away (Northeastern Pennsylvania, USA) definitely hopes you will continue to climb your spiral staircase and share your stories with us! Thank you again!

Annie
Contributor
ColleensMother
0 Kudos

What a thrill it is for me to be communicating with my favorite author! I truly love every book you have written and am very excited about reading Whitethorn Woods. Like the previous poster, I,too, live in northeasten Pennsylvania in the US --( small world isn't it?)-- and it really is a far cry from your beautful country. Ironically, my youngest son embarked on a plane to Shannon tonite --- he is going to Ireland for his work. I just love it when coincidences like that happen. Truth really is stranger than fiction --- except when we are talking about YOUR fiction. YOURS is completely believable and I always feel myself jumping right into your novels as though I were walking right along with the characters.
Thank you so much for sharing your incredible talent with the rest of us --- we are very grateful.
Maryellen
New User
writergran
0 Kudos

How exciting to have this opportunity! Your stories give me an opportunity to explore my Irish heritage - my mother was a Flanigan - as well as a better understanding of humanity and how we are all connected. Thanks for all the work you do using your wonderful writing talent.
Frequent Contributor
zandyr83
0 Kudos

Ms. Binchy,
Unlike some of the other readers, I am not Irish, (yes, there are a few of us out there who are not Irish). However, after reading all of your books, I long to go to a place has felt like another home to me for about seven years. I am so captivated by your characters and your settings. I did not want the hotel build in FIREFLY SUMMER. Nor did I want Castlebay to become too commercial in ECHOES. It is such an honor to be able to ask the questions I have had for years, and finally get an answer. thank you.
Zandyr
New User
Booklvr
0 Kudos

Hello Maeve,

Whitethorn Woods is the first book of yours that I have read. I belong to a book club and this was the book chosen for our next discussion night. I'm about half way through the book and I am hooked! I love the characters! They are so real and interesting. I can't seem to read fast enough to find out what is going to happen next. I have a feeling that I will be reading more of your books very soon. Thanks for a great read!

Jennifer
New User
CathyK
0 Kudos

Hello Maeve and everyone,

This is such a thrill! Last week I bought Whitethorn Woods in paperback and began reading it this morning. I just took a break to check my emails and found this B&N posting, which led me to this group. Ms. Binchy, I have read every one of your books and own most of them. I started reading your stories more than a dozen years ago, and have kept up every time a new one is published. My favorite is always the last one I read :-), although Tara Road usually bumps back up there! Oh, about me.... I'm currently an unemployed (between jobs) credit manager in Salt Lake City, UT. We're enjoying a beautiful spring here, and I'm glad to enhance it with a great read! Thanks for your lovely characters and stories. My husband and I intend to visit Ireland within the next five years. Cyber hugs... Cathy
New User
CathyK
0 Kudos

... oops, I meant HARDBACK in my last post...

ditzy Cathy in Utah
New User
val_nichols
0 Kudos

How wonderful to see that you have a new novel out! I have absolutely devoured every one of your books and with the close of each one, have hated to have it end. I'm new to this book club and was going through previous discussions when I came across this one. I am sorry I missed out on the real discussion.

My husband actually turned me on to you after listening to one of your books on tape. That was a few years ago and I quickly ran out and bought as many as I could find. Your name is always one of the first I check when at Barnes and Noble, just to see if there is a book I've missed.

Thank you for the fantastic characters and stories!

Val
Val