Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Early Book Discussion: Alex and Luke

Alex and Luke are both married men in love with Iris. Do you think Iris really loves either one of them? Why or why not?

This section is suitable for those who have just begun the book. Please be mindful of spoilers for later sections in the book.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Cahill42
0 Kudos

Re: Early Book Discussion: Alex and Luke

Stephanie wrote:
Alex and Luke are both married men in love with Iris. Do you think Iris really loves either one of them? Why or why not?

This section is suitable for those who have just begun the book. Please be mindful of spoilers for later sections in the book.

I don't think that Iris truly loves Luke. I think that she's just using Luke as a substitute for Alex, whom she has deeper feelings for than she wants to admit. Although they're both married men, Luke is definitly a foil for Alex. Even before it was revealed that Luke was married, there was just something that I didn't like about him. Maybe the fact that he's a lawyer. Or that he was trolling a wedding for dates.

Alex, on the other hand, I felt comfortable with from the get-go. He was just more likeable, and I want to say that's because he wasn't having an extra-marital affair, but I will admit the possibility that is coloring my opinion a bit.

I do think that Iris does love Alex, whether on simply a brother-sister level or something more is a little bit more difficult to discern. I can't give my reasons for this belife on this thread without giving spoilers to the end, but I've posted them elsewhere on the board.

--Andrea
Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences.---J.K. Rowling

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch me soar.---Wash
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Andrea,

At first glance, I thought that Iris loved Luke and Alex both- and in loving two married men, was ensuring that she wasn't going to have to make any commitments.

Later, my views changed, but as you said, this is not the section for those comments.
Stephanie
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Both Alex and Luke are men who set the tone for Iris' emotional life.

She is a contemporary, independent woman who owns her own business, and lives by herself. She chooses lovers who are married to other women. She is a commitment-phobe. Her right to choose is to choose to remain uncommitted.

It occurred to me that she, chose to go away to graduate school, away from Alex, to put distance (both emotional and geographic distance) between them. She seemed to struggle with herself about the "moral correctness" of loving her step-brother. The sense of shame is obvious when her grandmother, Kitty, catches them in the hallway.

As the novel progresses, we'll see that Luke is a cad, and therefore unworthy of Iris' affections. The question is: Can Iris allow herself to admit to herself what her true feelings are for Alex?
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 594 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: