Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and share your first impressions of The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox.
New User
nextpagenow
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and share your first impressions of The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox.

After reading the author's introduction, I plan to purchase this book over the weekend. I am anxious to join the ranks of fellow readers as we critique this novel via the B & N book club. Here's to a good read!
New User
DiGear
0 Kudos

this book was mentioned to me in a B&N email just this week. I printed out the coupon and plan to purchase book tommorow. It sounds interesting.
Contributor
Mizzyb
0 Kudos

Now, I'm ready for the fall weather, with a good book in tow! I found the author's intro very enligtening. Looking forward to starting this book this weekend!
Frequent Contributor
Cahill42
0 Kudos

I picked up "The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox" the other day and am about halfway through it. I won't give anything away, but B&N has hit the mark this time on their recommends program. I'm trying to carve out time between work and other stuff to finish it. The book thus far is simply amazing and definitely appeals to those of us who have always felt that "otherness" or feeling like an outsider in their own family, but I also think that it can, and will, appeal to everyone simply because it is a great story.
Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences.---J.K. Rowling

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch me soar.---Wash
Contributor
Debrachris
0 Kudos

I read "Vanishing Act" in 24 hours and enjoyed it. However I felt the last 45 pages or so were the best part of the book. I definitely disagree with B&N about it being "un-put-downable" though as I mentioned, I did read it quickly. There are other books that fall into that category ("Water for Elephants", "A Thousand Splendid Suns", "A Prayer for Owen Meany" and others) but this one was not, I believe, in that category. I was most interested in Esme and less so in Iris and wish that the book were exclusively about Esme and her family.

Having said that, I am eager to discuss the ambiguous (and somewhat frustrating) ending. Will wait until next week when the discussion officially begins to get into it.
Regards, Debbie
Reader 2
susandale
0 Kudos

Good morning. I have just found the time to catch up with this month's reading lists. After reading the summary of Maggie O'Farrell's book I can't wait to get to the book shop and buy my copy so that I can start reading it. The subject matter is very close to my heart. One of my aunts (mother's sister) spent large periods of her life in mental institutions back in the 'unenlightened' years of the 1940s and 1950s.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Great to see you all here and ready to read and discuss. I'm very interested to hear all your thoughts- I found this to be an amazing book- like Maggie, I'm perfectly stunned at the spurious reasons that women were institutionalized in the past.
Stephanie
Reader 2
obrian
0 Kudos

nextpagenow wrote:

Jessica wrote:

After reading the author's introduction, I plan to purchase this book over the weekend. I am anxious to join the ranks of fellow readers as we critique this novel via the B & N book club. Here's to a good read!

Hello Everyone.
I am new to the club...I picked up this book over the weekend. I was very intrigued by the B&N Recommendation. I made it to pg 67 before I ran out of time. Today I brought it to work with me hoping to get some reading in over lunch...looking forward to it!
Frequent Contributor
Pat_T
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Hi, My name is Pat and I'm from Arizona. Like others here, I chose this book because of reviews I've read and what the author wrote about the book in her introduction. I just started the book, but after 50 pages I can tell I'm going to like it. I'm looking forward to the discussion.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello, I go by IBIS, and I live in the Boston area. (YEAH SOX!!!!!) I'm obviously a Red Sox fan.

I've just started reading VANISHING ACT, and am about halfway through it. I love the time loops, and the shifting points of view.

The writing in past tense for Esme's memories in India gave me the sense of distance... the distance in time and geography, but also emotional distance. I felt a separation of the writing in the present tense of Iris's story with the writing in the distant past tense of Esme's memories.

The writing's got me hooked already.

Message Edited by IBIS on 11-02-2007 04:17 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine.

I was intrigued by the premise of the book and that is what drew me to it.

I am just starting the book now, so I'll be back in a few days with some thoughts. Better late than never!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
0 Kudos

Hello I'm Nancy. I recieved the book in the mail yesterday and I love it already. Its going to be fun untangling the relationships.
New User
agent_lemonade
0 Kudos

My name is Yvette and I just finished the book. Quite haunting.. cannot wait to discuss and share!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Yvette,

Great to have you join the group! We're having a marvelous time. Jump into the discussion anywhere you'd like.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 723 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: