New User
Maureen52
0 Kudos

interesting book

I am thinking about buying this book for myself in the next two weeks. I took a quick glance of it in the bookstore and i like what I saw.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: interesting book

Maureen,

Oh do buy it. It is the sort of book that will linger in your mind after you finish reading it, and you'll resolve to pick it back up and reread it, for the bits you might have missed on the first run-through. I probably won't let much time pass before I reread this one - and I haven't had much time for rereads at all lately.
Stephanie
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Book Review

There is a book review of THE VANISHING ACT in today Sunday New York Times Book Review. The reviewer gives a very positive review of the book.

What is interesting is that she ends the review by writing that revenge is much more therapeutic than forgiveness.

I guess the reviewer meant that Esme's smothering Kitty as payback must have felt so much better.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Ibis,

That strikes me as very odd- first that the reviewer would allude to the ending that way, and secondly, that revenge as therapy was a message to be taken away here, by anyone.

Group, Your thougths?
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Ibis,

That strikes me as very odd- first that the reviewer would allude to the ending that way, and secondly, that revenge as therapy was a message to be taken away here, by anyone.

Group, Your thougths?

I do think that review contains a spoiler!

The word revenge did cross my mind when I deduced what had happened to Kitty. However, revenge was not the message that I took away from the book. Consequences of actions was the "big idea" I thought about during the book.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Laura,

Yes, I agree, what Esme did was for "payback" in a sense - but it was fair, wasn't it, a life for a life? Only Esme suffered much, much longer.

As to a message of "revenge as therapy" - I find, even after turning it over as objectively as possible, I don't think Esme was looking for any restoration of her mental health, nor do I think she would have found any. I imagine her fury couldn't have let her walk away.

Do I think she needed therapy of some kind? Certainly. I think she would probably get off on an insanity charge very easily. Considering the very many people in her life who did all they could to see that she went insane. Kitty especially.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Yes, I agree, what Esme did was for "payback" in a sense - but it was fair, wasn't it, a life for a life?

I have to say, I don't think killing someone is fair. Two wrongs don't make a right. However, I do understand what you are saying.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 771 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: