Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Austen and Her Readers in Film & Other Media

It seems that lately not only has Jane Austen's life been continued to be portrayed in film (e.g. Becoming Jane, 2007; The Real Jane Austen, 2002; Miss Austen Regrets, 2008) but also fans of Jane Austen are now being portrayed more frequently in film (e.g. Lost in Austen, 2008; The Jane Austen Book Club, 2007).  What do you think of this phenomenon?  Do these films make you cringe?  Think twice?  Appreciate Austen more, or less?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Austen and Her Readers in Film & Other Media

I just ordered Becoming Jane from Netflix to watch sometime.  Has anyone seen it?

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

No, I haven't seen that one.  I think the only one I've seen was Miss Austen Regrets, which was part of the recent PBS Austen marathon.  It was interesting.  I always have thought of Jane Austen as being rather sedate and serious in life, although she has such a wicked sense of humor in her writing, but in that presentation, she was fun-loving and almost giddy at times.  I wonder what was the truth.

I also read the first few novels in Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen mystery series, with Austen as the amateur sleuth.  I quite enjoyed them.  I think that Barron researched Jane's life and times well, and the character was in line with how I would expect Austen to be.  Some of those series are not good; I tried one with Louisa May Alcott as the sleuth and didn't much care for it, and a series with Elizabeth Tudor just didn't seem at all realistic to me, but this one I really enjoyed.  I thought the series had ended, but I guess my book club just stopped offering them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
HeatherMH
0 Kudos

I actually really enjoyed The Jane Austen Book Club. I thought that the movie was fabulous and well made. I loved the fact that each month they focused on one Jane novel and you saw how the characters related to the characters in the novel. And, Mansfield Park, the British movie with Johnny Lee Miller is fabulous. Then again, the Brits ALWAYS get the Jane novels into well made movies. But especially this one.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommened it. Fabulous movie.
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 699 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: