Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. Let us know which of Jane Austen's other novels you have read, and what draws you to Mansfield Park.

And if you've read Mansfield Park, be careful not to post any plot spoilers! :smileywink:

Contributor
nvoggesser
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi...I'm Nancy from a small town in western Iowa.  I've read everything Jane Austen at least once, including Mansfield Park once.  I'm a big fan of the 19th century British novels...along with Jane, I thoroughly enjoy Wilkie Collins and Elizabeth Gaskell.  There's nothing like being invited into a world so real, filled with intrigue and true human emotion to feel right about the world. 

It's been quite a while since I've taken part in BN book clubs and am excited to be back.  11 1/2 days of teaching high school left for this school year....time for me!!!

Have a good one!
Contributor
ARMYRANGER
0 Kudos

Hello,

Bob from New Hampshire here.  I am just finishing up Mansfield Park as well as reading Nabokov's lectures on this wonderful book.  I look forward to discussing it with the group, and hope we have a great discussion.  My personal info is on my profile.  After reading Pride and Prejudice last year I almost gave up on  Ms. Austen, but then reading Nabokov I found he had similar feelings about Pride and Prejudice.  Yet, when he read Mansfield Park at the recommendation of a friend, he appreciated it so much that he always included it on his syllabus of Literature 311-312, Masters of European Fiction at Cornell University.  Like Nabokov, I enjoyed Mansfield Park much more than Pride and Prejudice and am eager to discuss this great work of Jane Austen.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, nvoggesser!  It's good to have you back with the bn.com book clubs.  I hope you enjoy your return. 

~ConnieK

nvoggesser wrote:
Hi...I'm Nancy from a small town in western Iowa.  I've read everything Jane Austen at least once, including Mansfield Park once.  I'm a big fan of the 19th century British novels...along with Jane, I thoroughly enjoy Wilkie Collins and Elizabeth Gaskell.  There's nothing like being invited into a world so real, filled with intrigue and true human emotion to feel right about the world. 

It's been quite a while since I've taken part in BN book clubs and am excited to be back.  11 1/2 days of teaching high school left for this school year....time for me!!!

Have a good one!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Bob!  I'm eager to hear more about your impressions of Mansfield Park, especially your preference for it over Pride and Prejudice.  I hope you'll feel free to post early and often!  Please remember, too, that members can start their own thread topics at any time on subjects of interest to them.

~ConnieK

ARMYRANGER wrote:
Hello,

Bob from New Hampshire here.  I am just finishing up Mansfield Park as well as reading Nabokov's lectures on this wonderful book.  I look forward to discussing it with the group, and hope we have a great discussion.  My personal info is on my profile.  After reading Pride and Prejudice last year I almost gave up on  Ms. Austen, but then reading Nabokov I found he had similar feelings about Pride and Prejudice.  Yet, when he read Mansfield Park at the recommendation of a friend, he appreciated it so much that he always included it on his syllabus of Literature 311-312, Masters of European Fiction at Cornell University.  Like Nabokov, I enjoyed Mansfield Park much more than Pride and Prejudice and am eager to discuss this great work of Jane Austen.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Denise from Massachusetts.  I love Jane Austen and have read all of her novels.  I like participating in discussion groups about them, so have started rereading Mansfield Park for this one.  To be honest, this would be my least favorite of her novels, but that doesn't mean I don't like it, just not as much as the others (my favorite is Persuasion).  I'm looking forward to a great discussion!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Everyman here. A long-time active member of BN book clubs (and BN University before that), avid reader, and finally almost retired so I have more time to read (though now new grandparent with two grandsons living right next door to us so there goes much of my reading time, but well worth it!)

I have read all of Austen multiple times and always find something new each time I read them. MP isn't my favorite of her novels, but even a not-favorite Austen is better than 99% of the books out there.

For those who have the BN Classics edition, how useful are you finding the supplemental material? I have copies of all Austen, of course, but is it worth buying another copy to get the additional material included in the BN edition?
0 Kudos

Welcome, Denise!  From what I hear in looking around for reactions to this novel, you are not alone in your opinion that it is your least favorite of Austen's.  Others feel the same.  Let's see what our discussions kick up about why this might be so for other members as well.

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

dulcinea3 wrote:
Hi, I'm Denise from Massachusetts.  I love Jane Austen and have read all of her novels.  I like participating in discussion groups about them, so have started rereading Mansfield Park for this one.  To be honest, this would be my least favorite of her novels, but that doesn't mean I don't like it, just not as much as the others (my favorite is Persuasion).  I'm looking forward to a great discussion!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Everyman!  I recognize your screen name from around the boards.  I'm glad bn.com book clubs give you a nice place to spend some time between romps with those grandkids!  How nice that they need only cross the lawn next door to see their grandpa!

~ConnieK

Everyman wrote:
Everyman here. A long-time active member of BN book clubs (and BN University before that), avid reader, and finally almost retired so I have more time to read (though now new grandparent with two grandsons living right next door to us so there goes much of my reading time, but well worth it!)

I have read all of Austen multiple times and always find something new each time I read them. MP isn't my favorite of her novels, but even a not-favorite Austen is better than 99% of the books out there.

For those who have the BN Classics edition, how useful are you finding the supplemental material? I have copies of all Austen, of course, but is it worth buying another copy to get the additional material included in the BN edition?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
awashburn
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I'm Ashley, a high school English teacher in Pennsylvania, and I have also read most of Austen (what does it say about Jane that so many of us are coming back for our second and third helping of her books?!).  I've really fallen out of the habit of reading for pleasure, so I'm hoping this little discussion board keeps me motivated.

I'm also a first time user...so I may have lots of questions.

Contributor
awashburn
0 Kudos

I'm so jealous!!!  I've got 22 days till summer...sigh.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Ashley!  You can always private message me, too, about any questions you may have in using the boards.  One thing you'll want to do to help keep the flow of conversation is to quote any messages you're replying to.  You do that by clicking on the little white box in the tool bar.  (It's actually a "balloon," like you see in comic strips).  The message will copy into your text box.  Then, you can type your reply to that message above it.

Hope you enjoy the club!

~ConnieK

awashburn wrote:
Hi all!

I'm Ashley, a high school English teacher in Pennsylvania, and I have also read most of Austen (what does it say about Jane that so many of us are coming back for our second and third helping of her books?!).  I've really fallen out of the habit of reading for pleasure, so I'm hoping this little discussion board keeps me motivated.

I'm also a first time user...so I may have lots of questions.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
ukduchess
0 Kudos

I guess I am your average Jane Austen fan. I read Pride and Prejudice when I was in high school. I pretty much walked into a bookstore and it was on one of the endcaps. I loved it and have read it over and over at least once or twice a year. I have read all of her other novels as well. . For some reason, I continue to buy various editions of them even though I already have them! The movies, while not as good at the books, are also so of my favorites. It seems I am not alone in that this is probably my least favorite of Austen's novels. I am not sure why that is. I am looking forward to experiencing Austen through the eyes of other readers.
"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."

— Jorge Luis Borges
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, ukduchess!  We hope you enjoy the discussion!

~ConnieK

ukduchess wrote:
I guess I am your average Jane Austen fan. I read Pride and Prejudice when I was in high school. I pretty much walked into a bookstore and it was on one of the endcaps. I loved it and have read it over and over at least once or twice a year. I have read all of her other novels as well. . For some reason, I continue to buy various editions of them even though I already have them! The movies, while not as good at the books, are also so of my favorites. It seems I am not alone in that this is probably my least favorite of Austen's novels. I am not sure why that is. I am looking forward to experiencing Austen through the eyes of other readers.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

I guess if I am going to pop in here from time-to-time, I should introduce myself. I don't plan to be a full participant -- there are too many other things on my reading pile right now, but do enjoy the comments here and may continue to add a comment now and again. I am an avid reader from NJ who most often visits the Epics, Women's Lit and First Look boards here.

Enjoy Mansfield Park! Pepper
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
uacatz
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is William Key and I live in Lawrenceville, GA. I am currently working on a Master of English Literature degree. I love all of the Jane Austen novels and look forward to the discussions in this book club.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

As you know, you're more than welcome to pop in and read or make a comment any time, Peppermill!  I'm glad to hear you continue to enjoy the book clubs!

~ConnieK

Peppermill wrote:
I guess if I am going to pop in here from time-to-time, I should introduce myself. I don't plan to be a full participant -- there are too many other things on my reading pile right now, but do enjoy the comments here and may continue to add a comment now and again. I am an avid reader from NJ who most often visits the Epics, Women's Lit and First Look boards here.

Enjoy Mansfield Park! Pepper

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, William!  I remember those masters days.  Feel free to jump in at any time in the discussion!

~ConnieK

uacatz wrote:
Hi, my name is William Key and I live in Lawrenceville, GA. I am currently working on a Master of English Literature degree. I love all of the Jane Austen novels and look forward to the discussions in this book club.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
ROSIE
0 Kudos

Hi I'm rosie from Baltimore, returning to the book clubs after a hiatus.

I just returned to grad school and completed my first course so I need some pleasure reading.

I read P&P when younger and Emma for one of the earlier B&N book clubs and would like to sample more of Austen by reading MP.

Happy reading everyone!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome back to the book clubs, Rosie!  Feel free to jump right in!

~ConnieK

ROSIE wrote:
Hi I'm rosie from Baltimore, returning to the book clubs after a hiatus.

I just returned to grad school and completed my first course so I need some pleasure reading.

I read P&P when younger and Emma for one of the earlier B&N book clubs and would like to sample more of Austen by reading MP.

Happy reading everyone!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 265 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: