Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

MANSFIELD PARK in Other Media

Have you seen any film or stage adaptations of Mansfield Park?  If so, would you recommend them?  Are there any other media forms that you have enjoyed, such as an audio book edition?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
ukduchess
0 Kudos

Re: MANSFIELD PARK in Other Media

I actually watched the 1999 adaptation of Mansfield Park last night and I enjoyed it very much. It has been quite some time since I first read Mansfield Park so I can not attest to how well it follows the book. I  am rereading MP for the book club and I have had some trouble getting into it but after seeing this movie, it has renewed my interest.
"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."

— Jorge Luis Borges
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It's been a while since I saw that adaptation, but I recall that I was rather put off by the big deal they made about slavery in it.  Austen was very seldom political, and although she makes one indirect mention of the slave trade in this novel, indicating that it figures in Sir Thomas' Antigua business affairs, she gives no opinion about it one way or the other.  I felt that the screenwriters seized upon it to try to make a political statement.

The only production I have is the old BBC version, from 1986.  I'll have to rewatch it soon.  I know it had the best portrayal of Lady Bertram I've seen, as I think of her from the novel.  Very vague and indolent.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 05-07-2008 02:41 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I watched the 1986 adaptation over the weekend.  That was a long night - I didn't bother looking at the time on the case, and thought it would be about four hours, but it was more like six!

I thought that they were very faithful to the novel.  I recognized many faces, from having seen them in something or other, but the only name I recognized was Gordon Kaye as Dr. Grant (Kaye starred as Rene in the Britcom "Allo Allo" and also did a number of cameos on "Are You Being Served?", most memorably as the Greek friend of the Greek who jilted Mrs. Slocum at the altar).  Oh, and a very young Jonny Lee Miller did play one of Fanny's younger brothers, who probably had a second or two on-screen, but I didn't notice him.  I'm not at all familiar with Sylvestra Le Touzel, who played Fanny, and she gave a very eccentric, strange, performance, which didn't make me end up liking the character of Fanny any more.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Users Online
Currently online:59 members 470 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: