Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Off-Topic Chat: "The Tea Room"

Use this thread to post conversations about topics other than Mansfield Park.  Since our club is about a Jane Austen book, I've renamed the chatroom "The Tea Room."  :smileywink:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Off-Topic Chat: "The Tea Room"

What are your favorite teas to enjoy here in the tea room? For myself, I like to start the day with one or two cups of a hearty Assam with milk and sugar to get the juices moving. Then later in the morning I turn to Keemun, Congou, or Yunnan. In the afternoon I usually prefer a Ceylon-Darjeeling mix which my vendor describes as an Iced Tea mixture but I enjoy hot, and toward dinner I enjoy a cup of Baker Street blend which has a touch of Lapsang in it -- I don't enjoy straight Lapsang, but this late afternoon tea is perfect for a pick-me-up. Then before bedtime I'll have a cup of exquisite Jasmine tea, calming and soothing.

All, of course, made with loose leaves -- my Irish grandmother insisted, rightly, that "you canna' make a good cup of tea by dipping a mouse up and down by its tail in a cup of hot water."

I will slip in other teas occasionally -- an Oolong, a Nilgiri, or even occasionally a straight green or white -- but the above is my usual daily routine.

Are there other tea lovers here? What are your favorites?
0 Kudos

I like tea, but am no real connoisseur.  I actually rarely drink hot beverages, but once in a while I will have a cup of tea (I don't like coffee), and I enjoy iced tea, which I make in my Mr. Coffee iced tea pot.  I prefer flavored teas, and my favorite teas are by Bigelow, especially Lemon Lift.  I also like Constant Comment (orange spice) and Plantation Mint.  Constant Comment now comes in a green tea variety, and they have green teas with mint and with lemon; the mint one is a decent substitute for Plantation Mint, but the lemon one doesn't have the spices of Lemon Lift.  For a soothing hot cup, I also like their vanilla varieties, like Vanilla Caramel.  When in college, I sampled many of the Twinings varieties, and remember especially liking Lapsang Souchong, but when I bought it more recently, I guess I don't care for as much any more.  I do NOT like herbal teas, except chamomile.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
awashburn
0 Kudos

Wow...and here I was impressed with old Earl Grey.

In all honesty...my current tea fix is the sweet tea at McDonalds.  Now, I know it doesn't sound very sophisticated, but that stuff must be laced with something...because it only took one sip to get me hooked!!
Contributor
awashburn
0 Kudos

Considering this is an open forum...I thought it might be nice to discuss some Austen films.  I've seen just about everything I can get my hands on, but I was sorely dissappointed that I missed both Sense and Sensibility as well as Persuasion on PBS.  If anyone has seen them, I'd love to know if it's worth buying the DVDs.

Contributor
nvoggesser
0 Kudos

I'm an Earl Grey girl myself....maybe it's an English teacher thing!  I hate to say that I use the "mouse technique"... especially when I'm in the mood for a hot beverage at school.

I have tried the loose tea thing, but haven't got the hang of it yet.  Maybe I'm just strange, but there's got to be a technique to it.  Got any suggestions?

Movies...have you tried Netflix?  They have most movies, including PBS and other varieties.  That way you could rent before investing.

Nancy
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

nvoggesser wrote:
>I have tried the loose tea thing, but haven't got the hang of it yet. Maybe I'm just strange, but there's got to be a technique to it. Got any suggestions?>

After trying almost every device on the market for making loose tea by the mug -- mesh balls, strainers, tea socks, you name it -- I have found that work works for me are the replacement baskets for the Chatsford teapots. They are nice mesh baskets, plenty roomy enough to let the leaves open freely, which they can't do in most infusion aids. I make my tea one mug at a time, rather than making a pot of tea, partly because I don't drink fast enough that pot tea is still hot with I'm ready for a second cup, and mostly because I like to switch from one tea to another during the day.

I get them from my primary tea supplier, Upton Tea. I use the two cup strainer basket for my smaller mugs, and the four cup strainer basket for my larger mugs. I just put the basket in the mug, put in the tea leaves, pour in the boiling water, and after the proper amount of steeping time just lift out the basket and toss the leaves in the garbage. Quick, easy, effective, and makes a great cup of tea.
0 Kudos

By the way, have you tried Earl Grey with sugar? I never much liked Earl Grey, but a friend gave me a small packet of special EG once, thinking she was doing me a great favor. The packet suggeted addign sugar, so I tried putting i a small sugar cube, and sure enough, I really do like it that way on occasion.

nvoggesser wrote:
I'm an Earl Grey girl myself....maybe it's an English teacher thing! I hate to say that I use the "mouse technique"... especially when I'm in the mood for a hot beverage at school.
I have tried the loose tea thing, but haven't got the hang of it yet. Maybe I'm just strange, but there's got to be a technique to it. Got any suggestions?
Movies...have you tried Netflix? They have most movies, including PBS and other varieties. That way you could rent before investing.
Nancy

0 Kudos

I drink my tea "straight up!"  I've never tried it with sugar.

Nancy
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Austen Films

[ Edited ]

awashburn wrote:
Considering this is an open forum...I thought it might be nice to discuss some Austen films.  I've seen just about everything I can get my hands on, but I was sorely dissappointed that I missed both Sense and Sensibility as well as Persuasion on PBS.  If anyone has seen them, I'd love to know if it's worth buying the DVDs.

I quite liked Sense and Sensibility.  That was a two-parter, so they were able to do a better job of it.  As for Persuasion, that is my favorite Austen story, and I liked it, but I thought it was inferior to the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds version.

I imagine I will eventually buy them, regardless!

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 05-06-2008 11:22 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I like my tea with sweetener, but without milk.  A slice of lemon can be nice, too.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
We actually have a thread on the board, Ashley, that's called "Austen in Other Media," or something like that.  Many members will discuss the various film adaptations there.

Let me know if you have any questions!

EDIT:  I see that the thread I mention above is about Mansfield Park, in particular, Ashley & all, so I've added a new thread for other novel adaptations.  Thanks!

~ConnieK

awashburn wrote:

Message Edited by ConnieK on 05-06-2008 02:12 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
ROSIE
0 Kudos

Has anyone tried Barry's teas imported from Ireland.

I am a devoted coffee drinker but the Barry's teas are a wonderful change

Everyman wrote:
What are your favorite teas to enjoy here in the tea room? For myself, I like to start the day with one or two cups of a hearty Assam with milk and sugar to get the juices moving. Then later in the morning I turn to Keemun, Congou, or Yunnan. In the afternoon I usually prefer a Ceylon-Darjeeling mix which my vendor describes as an Iced Tea mixture but I enjoy hot, and toward dinner I enjoy a cup of Baker Street blend which has a touch of Lapsang in it -- I don't enjoy straight Lapsang, but this late afternoon tea is perfect for a pick-me-up. Then before bedtime I'll have a cup of exquisite Jasmine tea, calming and soothing.

All, of course, made with loose leaves -- my Irish grandmother insisted, rightly, that "you canna' make a good cup of tea by dipping a mouse up and down by its tail in a cup of hot water."

I will slip in other teas occasionally -- an Oolong, a Nilgiri, or even occasionally a straight green or white -- but the above is my usual daily routine.

Are there other tea lovers here? What are your favorites?

Contributor
awashburn
0 Kudos

Irish anything is GREAT! as far as I'm concerned.

ROSIE wrote:
Has anyone tried Barry's teas imported from Ireland.

I am a devoted coffee drinker but the Barry's teas are a wonderful change

Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 1,045 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: