Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: "Janeites," Unite!

Since marriage was just about the only career open to women of Austen's day, I would say that she is writing about career girls in training for their life's work.

ConnieK wrote:
APen and others--How would you defend Austen against critics who say her novels do a disservice to women by focusing so much on the courtship rituals of her day?

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

That's a very nice perspective!

Laurel wrote:
Since marriage was just about the only career open to women of Austen's day, I would say that she is writing about career girls in training for their life's work.

ConnieK wrote:
APen and others--How would you defend Austen against critics who say her novels do a disservice to women by focusing so much on the courtship rituals of her day?

0 Kudos

I agree.  I think she also shows the intricacies of that "work" and how it is not, and was not, as simple as one might expect.  Like other "occupations" today, it has its politics, networking, strategies for getting ahead, etc.  Interesting.

Everyman wrote:
That's a very nice perspective!

Laurel wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I also think that Austen focuses on the reasons for getting married, and shows differences between the right and the wrong reasons.  "The courtship rituals of her day" are pretty much skewered, as we see silly men and women flirting with each other, going after wealthy partners, etc.  Austen's heroines marry for love, and they marry worthwhile men who appreciate them for their qualities rather than just seeing them as "the little woman".  Of course, in three of the novels (Mansfield Park, Emma, and Northanger Abbey), the men are in part responsible for having guided the women to develop the qualities that they value.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 05-24-2008 05:25 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
Audrey555
0 Kudos

I am a huge Jane Austen fan.  I love her wit and ironic style.  I enjoy reading her books because even though her heroes/heroines have high moral standards, they do make mistakes (except Fanny).  They all go on a voyage of self-discovery, and through these journeys, they become better persons.

I love reading her novels because she completely understands her characters, and she beautifully illustrates them.  Finally, it is very gratifying to see that at the end everyone gets what he/she deserves!

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

How beautifully you express it, Audrey!

Audrey555 wrote:
I am a huge Jane Austen fan. I love her wit and ironic style. I enjoy reading her books because even though her heroes/heroines have high moral standards, they do make mistakes (except Fanny). They all go on a voyage of self-discovery, and through these journeys, they become better persons.
I love reading her novels because she completely understands her characters, and she beautifully illustrates them. Finally, it is very gratifying to see that at the end everyone gets what he/she deserves!

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 529 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: