Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: A Message from Your Moderator

Welcome, Willowy,
Glad you could join us. Looks like we have some experienced BN book club people here. I'm actually a first-time moderator, and excited to hear what you have to say
lana

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Hi everyone:

This book club got a late start? When are you planning to finish?

Chad
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from Over The Pond!

[ Edited ]
Hello Everyone from Over the Pond! It is a long, long time since I read Frankenstein but I am looking forward to being scared all over again! (The new format is strange and signing in each time is a bind but I suppose we will all get used to it. I wonder why B&N changed the old format?)

Message Edited by Choisya on 11-02-200601:29 PM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Welcome Choisya, from Ilana, the moderator. So glad you'll be reading the book with us. I know everyone's working to get used to the new system. Try playing with the "thread" and "linear" formats in your Board Options. I'm excited to hear what you have to offer....
Ilana

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

How do you alter the 'linear' and threaded' views - I don't seem to see the drop-down prompt for this?
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Hi Chad. We are just starting now. The club is officially up today, really. I'd love you to join us--start reading any time. Check out the "early chapters" thread.
Ilana

Ilana

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Go back to the screen (outside of individual threads) where you have "Board Options." You can alter your views with that tab, and can re-change them any time.
Ilana

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

Hi Choisya, I took few classes with you over the sommer. Now I know I will definately learn something new.
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Ilana,
I just hope the Denise you knew in Colorado wasn't an unpleasant person! I think it's funny how I expect other women named Denise to have certain standards of behavior. I once worked with a Denise who took too much sick time (conveniently a lot of Mondays and Fridays and just enought too still qualify for full-time benefits) and another Denise who was robbing her employer's petty cash box and I was horrified because they were named Denise and should not behave like that! I know that's illogical but it is amusing.

I'll try the suggestions in the message you posted. New software is like anything. As the comfort zone expands, I keep stepping out of it.

Denise
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Ah no--my brother almost married this Denise. I liked her a lot. Alas, a lost sister.

What you said, by the way, feels pertinent to the plot. Frankenstein sends out this monster who's almost his double, and he can't stand what this alter-ego does "in his name," in a way. Frankenstein's monster (who goes by Frankenstein's name in popular culture) is like that other self that haunts the self, doing everything you wish it wouldn't do.

Luckily, I don't meet many other Ilana's, so I can keep my illusion of being original and all-me!

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Oh, good. I wouldn't want to be bringing up an image of one of those "bad Denises"!

I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and there is a similarity here (in addition to the one about how pop culture has remade the book into so many variations) because Dr. Jekyll eventually becomes horrified with Mr. Hyde who really is also his own creation.

Denise
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Hurrah! :smileyhappy: It's Choisya!
Hope everything is going swimmingly over in Britain.
Melissa W.

Choisya wrote:
Hello Everyone from Over the Pond! It is a long, long time since I read Frankenstein but I am looking forward to being scared all over again! (The new format is strange and signing in each time is a bind but I suppose we will all get used to it. I wonder why B&N changed the old format?)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Yes. I'll be interested to see what people have to say about Frankenstein's monster being his own double, and your Jekyll and Hyde connection, as we go.

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks Ilana!
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

I'm trying to reply to our "Over the Pond" poster but I'm not certain how this works. I'm looking forward to all our discussions.

KathyH
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm KathyH from Orange, California and I'm VERY ready to start discussing, if I can figure out the new format. Hope we get many postings.

KathyH
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for joining. If you have questions about the system, feel free to ask. You might want to jump into the "early chapters" thread and try a post.
Looking forward to your input,
Ilana

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Hello Choisya!
How are you? The change is a bit of a challenge, isn't it? Greetings to everyone posting...I have participated in many of the groups in the "old system" at B&N. I am looking forward to discussing Frankenstein (if I can ever figure out how to navigate!!) My last group was "The Country of the Pointed Firs" by Sarah Orne Jewett, which led me to all sorts of tangents. While waiting for the new format, I read "The Pearl of Orr Island" by Harriet Beecher Stowe (which was a favorite of Jewett's - If you haven't read it, I would definitely recommend it). And then I had to reread "Uncle Tom's Cabin", which led me to "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" by Harriet Jacobs...anyway, back to Frankenstein! I hope to "see" lots of old friends!
Frequent Contributor
flowergardener
0 Kudos

yes plus i forgot to mention that i am going to a halloween party as frankenstein! my husband thinks i'm wacko lol
Frequent Contributor
flowergardener
0 Kudos

hi choisa, im excited too. i've been reading frankenstein since i was a little girl. of course back then i was scared for a month lol. it gets better every time you read it. when did you read it first? do u think it gets better with time too?

i know what u mean about the new format, im still confused by it but what can u do? i'm just hoping for some classes to come cuz i'd like to finish the ones i started.

~sally~
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 405 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: