Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Community Room

Hi. Welcome to the Community Room. This is a place for you to discuss related interests, like books, movies, or genres. You can also just get to know each other here.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
zebulak
0 Kudos

British Classics and more?

Illana,
You've said in the Guideline for Discussion above, that a British Classics group is forming up. But how about ancient classics? Homer, Ovid, Virgil, et al? Any chance for such a board?

Robin in VA
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so I may wet my mind and say something clever. --Aristophanes
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

European and Ancient classics

That sounds like a nice idea. (I just emailed ARMYRANGER on the welcome board, who's favorites are largely Greek and Roman classics.) I can bat the idea around with people here, and will keep you updated.
Ilana

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
zebulak
0 Kudos

Re: European and Ancient classics

Thanks so much!

Robin in VA

IlanaSimons wrote:
That sounds like a nice idea. (I just emailed ARMYRANGER on the welcome board, who's favorites are largely Greek and Roman classics.) I can bat the idea around with people here, and will keep you updated.
Ilana

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine so I may wet my mind and say something clever. --Aristophanes
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: European and Ancient classics

I m ade the same suggestion (for ancient classics) in another area. Some great new translations have come out in the past thirty years or so which make many of these works much more accessible. (Compare the Golding and Mandelbaum translations of Ovid's Metamorphoses and the benefit of modern translations will become immediately clear!)
0 Kudos

Choiysa

What the heck do you do for a living?

for one- you are always so well researched

2, you post like crazy :smileyhappy: and there are always good. I envy you:smileyhappy:

just letting you know that your swell :smileywink:
Owy

*Taking everyday, one book at a time*
Contributor
BookWorming
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hello. I am new here and have never been in abook club before so if I am a little out of it, forgive me, as there are books that I have read a long time ago, and some I have yet to touch.
I have not "read" the book in question here, but I have seen the movies. Boris Karloff and the new one about Merry Shelly(spelling of her name, forgive if I butchered it. It is late here and I should really be sleeping)
Anyway, I will pick up said book tomorrow if I can find it at the libarry, and if not, I plan a trip to the mall and will get it there and when I do, I will, promise, begin reading it so I will have something intresting to say here....(fingers crossed) Night all.
If I have to take the time to find myself, then am I really here?
Contributor
BookWorming
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I have a PS here.....

I know that I am open to all books, but of late I am finding that I like ancient history, back to the Greeks, Romans and so fourth. I can never really find any good books on subject like, Alexander the Great, Cezar and book of/and about Egypt. If anyone can help....let me know the titles. Thanks. Night again.
If I have to take the time to find myself, then am I really here?
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

welcome

Hi--
Thanks for joining us. I look forward to your input
Ilana

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Choiysa

Sensorymoments wrote:

2, you post like crazy :smileyhappy: and there are always good. I envy you:smileyhappy:

Oh My! Thanks a lot - I am retired now so have lots of time for posting. I used to be a political researcher at the House of Commons and had to research all manner of things. Politics, history and a touch of comparative religion were my original areas of study but long long ago:smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room more British classics

I'm hoping that there will be more British classics coming up. I've gotten hooked on the BN classics due to the BN Un iversity classes in the past and I sure hope they are going to continue here. Yvonne
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room more British classics

Hi Yvonne--
Good timing with your question. The Brit Classics section will be live online within 3 weeks.
Please stay tuned!
Ilana

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
Sensorymoments
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Sensorymoments wrote:

Oh My! Thanks a lot - I am retired now so have lots of time for posting. I used to be a political researcher at the House of Commons and had to research all manner of things. Politics, history and a touch of comparative religion were my original areas of study but long long ago:smileyhappy:

Oh that's so interesting!
I guess I picked up on your research ability well :smileyhappy:
Owy

*Taking everyday, one book at a time*
Frequent Contributor
mildone
0 Kudos

I had never read, "Frankenstein", being influenced by Hollywood and its version of the Mary Shelly's story. This prejudice of Frankenstein is and was my own failing in not reading the book. After seeing the notables taking the course I did the right thing and read the book. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and was further enlightened by the many intelligent comments made by the participants in the course. Thank you for enlightening me and giving me the push to read the excellent book.
mildone
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

I'm glad you liked the book. Stay tuned for more reading groups starting up next month.
Ilana

Ilana

Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 238 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: