Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

the geophysical then

Whew! Not Again!

I've used geophysical several times to delineate or more accurately describe the physical forces and processes that Shelley describes in Frankenstein- the forces that create mountains, erode shores, etc. So, "geophysical" then, apart from it's dictionary definition, is that which can be sensed, or seen and heard, possibly forming words themselves. The distinction is important to understand Shelley's theme: words are not only created by my own mind, but created externally, by Nature herself. In other words, some words imitate the sounds of Nature.

I started Moby, it's good. I had read a little of this in fifth grade, let's see if my original impression was accurate, if I can only remember what that was.....

Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: mathematics

And finally...

... all languages might be converging to mathematics, but also remember that our lingual evolution might not stop there. The languages would possibly merge to become the actual physical and geophysical forces themselves, through economics, which uses mathematics.

Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Ben Franklinstein? maybe....I say

Ben Franklinstein or Einstein? Adam Smith, Colombus or Amerigo? Which one was responsible for the world's ills? One or all? Possibly one or all were Jewish...we don't know. I don't believe that all America's founding fathers were part Jewish, but I do believe that Shelley wrote about Jewish/German conflicts/issues- The monster's yellow skin contrasts the child that Victor might have created with Elizabeth, a child with golden hair.

Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

re:just to add

[ Edited ]
I think Jesuit schools also existed at the time as well- anyway, religious influence is what she also writes about, I think.

chad

Message Edited by chad on 12-18-200612:04 PM

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Or you can ignore everything I just said and go back to my intro....

The characters in the story could not see Frankenstein as a friend, or in other words, he could not be a friend. Why?- this question will lead to trouble, but you'll have a better understanding of the book and the world, I think.

Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

hyperbolas, parabolas, ellipses, circles, etc. etc.

Yea, all of these things, but fit into a 3-D world. The graph would be lattitude(x-axis) and longitude(y-axis) and a mountain might fit the shape of a parabola, etc. So fit your own graph, created in mathematics, into a 3-D world, but a world where we see physical manifestations of our equations, I think.

Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

On degrees

I'm not sure whether first, second or third degree murder existed in Shelley's world. But remember that the difference between the degrees is a set of facts as explained in words.....

Chad
New User
topnotchgirlie88
0 Kudos

Re: Ilana: Will I get to the later Chapters?

I feel like the remoteness of the polar location in which the final chapters take place is symbolic for the way that Victor feels after he has lost all his friends and family. He feels alone, there is no one in this final place and he is cold to all society, the landscape is covered in snow meaning that it is cold there.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

topnotchgirlie88 wrote:
I feel like the remoteness of the polar location in which the final chapters take place is symbolic for the way that Victor feels after he has lost all his friends and family. He feels alone, there is no one in this final place and he is cold to all society, the landscape is covered in snow meaning that it is cold there.

Hi topnotchgilie,
Thanks for coming into this conversation. Just to let you know, the Frankenstein conversation was a November conversation and has now just about wound down. The two book clubs that are getting underway for January are Kafka and The Jungle. I hope you can jump into either of those.
Ilana

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

He also cries there, I think.

Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

philosophy evolving into science

At one point Victor coins natural philosophy as science, but Victor's father is skeptical and wishes him to study the modern scientists-- what he feels to be science. So, for the purposes of this story and perhaps history, natural philosphy or philosphy has evolved or become more modernized-- science has replaced it. Victor in a sense, retroevolves the world by creating a human being from early philosophies, which he considers to be sciences, I think.

good luck!
Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

friendship theme

So... Let's think about the types of friendships that we have and make. Friends tend to be like ourselves but not too much like ourselves. It is these two qualities that are in conflict within us- we need some stability, but we also need our freedom. I think these qualities have to be present in our friendships or relationships, but they are qualities which are obviously in tension. They are states that are also found in nature: for example, water is more fluid or dynamic, but it turns into ice, more solid and stable. So you see free states versus stable states in nature, but they are also embodied in the last name Franken(free)stein(stone), for german fans, and also in friendship. And remember, Frankenstein begins with Walton's search for a friend....

Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Two states of Nature

..and these two states(stable and free) clash with great force- like a bolt of lightning, creating a moment of singularity- life and death, beginning and end, and so on- you got it!

Chad
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Friend

[ Edited ]
I didn't want wreck your concept of friendship, but perhaps the Shelleys simplify things into stable and free states so that we can focus on our reasons for friendships and improve them. The need for something steady but the need to be free are in constant tension- they are seen in Nature and so they would be inside of each of us. Is marraige a friendship, for example? Well, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. People can have alterior motives or perhaps you might know of a friendship that was supposed to be a friendship and then you turned into a love slave...

Chad

Message Edited by chad on 10-02-2007 08:40 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 1,061 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: