New User
RobertGustavo
0 Kudos

What movie is closest to the book?

I know there have been about 80 different Frankenstein movies, and I often find that reading is easier once I have the general gist of the plot down.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: What movie is closest to the book?

Hi Robert.
I've heard the 1994 version (Directed by Branagh) and the 1993 version (Directed by David Wickesis) are good and close to the book, but I actually haven't seen them.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The Branaugh is not very faithful to the book in some places at all. However, the movie is very visually provocative.

IlanaSimons wrote:
Hi Robert.
I've heard the 1994 version (Directed by Branagh) and the 1993 version (Directed by David Wickesis) are good and close to the book, but I actually haven't seen them.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
cosmotrotter
0 Kudos

While you're right, that the Branagh went away from the novel, it was perhaps 'closer' than other film treatments because of its sympathetic treatment of the Dr.'s creation?

My favorite, unfortunately, despite enjoying the novel, will always be the Mel Brooks movie...
New User
bussa1
0 Kudos

I thought Young Frankenstein was great. When movies try to copy books, they always fall short. This spoof was refreshing and fun.
Contributor
BookWorming
0 Kudos

Hello.
Have you ever seen the mobie Merry Shelly, Merry Shelly? (Um, I think that is the title anyway) Its is about the author of the Frankenstine writings.
I myself liked the Boris Karloff versons of the Frankenstine movies. I have not seen the newer ones. But might look them up.

Good luck finding what you are seeking Robert. TTFN.
If I have to take the time to find myself, then am I really here?
Contributor
bogeycadet
0 Kudos

I think that Hollywood helps create ignorance sometimes. Frankenstein versus Dracula or whatever movies should be called Frankenstein's monster versus whatever. One must take hollywood with a grain of sand. Hollywood is a spoof. There is no Igor in the novel. "Coming Maaasterrrrr" is a diversion. Instead of Igor being limp, Hollywood is limp.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

bussa1 wrote:I thought Young Frankenstein was great. When movies try to copy books, they always fall short. This spoof was refreshing and fun.

I couldn't agree with you more! I loved Young Frankenstein! Even though it wasn't close to the book it was really good. It is one of my all time favorite movies!
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Users Online
Currently online:5 members 251 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: