Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
StacyeJaye
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: The Lawyer's Tale

michaelgruber wrote:
Well, I meant the reader to see the relationship of the three main male characters as significant. Jake is a 'successful' modern figure, but wracked by discontent arising from his own dishonesty. He's a cheater and he knows it, but feels helpless to change. He's also an unreliable narrator. Crosetti is 'unsuccessful' in terms of the world, but he's essentially happy although as an artist, he tells lies for a living, and sometimes has difficulty distinguishing life from a movie. Bracegirdle is essentially honest--he's writing his deathbed confession--and he's a pre-modern man. His main concern is his immortal soul and, unlike the other two, he's not neurotic. I thought the contrast would be interesting and say something about our modern predicament, which is what I think novels are for.

I have not yet finished the book, but my first impressions about the characters were as you had intended. However, to respond to the main discussion, I had a dislike for Jake at first. His cander about his "relationships" made me think him conceded. I also feel when he talks of his family he sees himself as above them, except his wife. He talks about her with regret in is voice, but then does the stupidest things! Talk about frustrating :smileyhappy:
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

StacyeJaye,

I can see how you might have felt that way about Jake- the thing about being candid is it opens you up to honest judgments, doesn't it?

Albert ... when he saved the books in the fire, I was thinking, Yay! Here's a guy who would go into a burning building for a book. You just have to love that, right? :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Contributor
GypsyWriter
0 Kudos

At first, Al reminded me too much of a guy I know...the epitome of the saying, "Nice guys finish last." I'm about half-way through the book now, and he's become more substantial in my eyes; not just a nice guy trying to impress this mysterious girl, but a SMART guy as well. Not just a romantic day-dreamer...he seems a proficient researcher/detective/code breaker--and not as naive as I first thought, either. Now I'm rooting for him, and hoping he doesn't "finish last."
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I'm with you - I agree that Al is smart and a nice guy- my favorite kind. I'm wary of that phrase about nice guys, because there's another one- the meek shall inherit the earth.
Stephanie
New User
StacyeJaye
0 Kudos

Al seems very young to me, maybe not physically but definately mentally. One of the moments that stands out was his reaction to his mother's "help" with the code breaking. He seemed irritated with her inviting another person in on "his secret" without his permission. It was almost as if he cared more about being the one to crack it rather than just knowing what the message said. I guess this is another difference between Al's character and Jake's, Jake is more "experienced" in life...or at least he has family that is :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

StacyeJaye wrote:
Al seems very young to me, maybe not physically but definately mentally. One of the moments that stands out was his reaction to his mother's "help" with the code breaking. He seemed irritated with her inviting another person in on "his secret" without his permission. It was almost as if he cared more about being the one to crack it rather than just knowing what the message said. I guess this is another difference between Al's character and Jake's, Jake is more "experienced" in life...or at least he has family that is :smileyhappy:

I see what you mean, but I think his annoyance was very shortlived and he was more than happy to have someone else do the hard parts for him. That seems to be common among grown men who live with parents!
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 620 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: