Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Favorite Quotes

Quote your favorite lines/passages from the book here.

Please be aware, this section is appropriate for those who have finished the book.
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes

The repartee between Albert Crosetti and Carolyn Rolly as they start to become acquainted is fun.From page 27-28-----"He sat on a stool and studied her profile. 'So ...this is kind of interesting,' he said. 'Watching books dry. I don't think I ever did it before. Maybe you could point out the highlights, so I don't miss anything.' "
Librarian
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

I have a few:

“...whatsoever thy hande findeth to do, do it with thy might: for there is no worke nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdome in the grave whither thou goest.”

"I have actually a great deal of sympathy for the increasingly common sort of person, often one with a high position, who is caught fabricating...It’s not the collapse of morality (for I think there has never been truth based on memory) but rather the triumph of intellectual property, that blizzard of invented realities - artificial lives, Photoshopped photos, ghosted novels, lip-synced rock bands...Everyone, from the President on down is a novelist now.”

“He said there are three kinds of history. The first is what really happened, and that is forever lost. The second is what most people thought happened, and we can recover that with assiduous effort. The third is what the people in power wanted the future to think happened, and that is 90 percent of the history in books.”

"No one will ever build a house like this again, ever, even though we have people in this country who could buy any of the Lords Dunbarton with the change in their pockets, and that means that something wonderful has gone out of this world, and I’d love to know why.”
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

These are excellent quotes. I find it hard to pull a quote from this book though- I want to quote too much!
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Bastet
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:
The repartee between Albert Crosetti and Carolyn Rolly as they start to become acquainted is fun.From page 27-28-----"He sat on a stool and studied her profile. 'So ...this is kind of interesting,' he said. 'Watching books dry. I don't think I ever did it before. Maybe you could point out the highlights, so I don't miss anything.' "
Librarian

Hi Librarian~

I agree! I found the interactions between Crosetti and Rolly to be the most entertaining and some of the comments made me laugh out loud. I loved the scene towards the end of the book when Rolly tells Crosetti that all she wants to do is (SPOILER ALERT!!) get her two children and go to the bookbinding course in Germany, to which Crosetti replies, "what am I going to do? Come visit in the summer?" I just loved his one-liners with her. They added so much character to the novel.

Thanks!
Rachel
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Wildflower wrote:
"He said there are three kinds of history. The first is what really happened, and that is forever lost. The second is what most people thought happened, and we can recover that with assiduous effort. The third is what the people in power wanted the future to think happened, and that is 90 percent of the history in books.”

This is one of my favorites too. I have heard something similar once before too, but I can't remember where. This quote reminds me of the idea that Al kept putting forth, that life is like a movie because people copy what they see in movies. Both of these ideas cause us to question what is really real and original in history and life.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Chapter 11- another great one.

Someone once said, Paul Goodman, I think, that stupidity was a character defense and had little to do with intelligence, on reason the so-called best and brightest got us into Vietnam and why people who are smart enough to accumulate huge piles of wealth persist in doing things that get them major jail time. p. 221
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Stephanie wrote:
Chapter 11- another great one.

Someone once said, Paul Goodman, I think, that stupidity was a character defense and had little to do with intelligence, on reason the so-called best and brightest got us into Vietnam and why people who are smart enough to accumulate huge piles of wealth persist in doing things that get them major jail time. p. 221

Hi Stephanie,

That's a great one. Thanks for sharing it.

Sue

Message Edited by Wildflower on 05-21-200708:09 PM

"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes - Hotels

One of my favorites is on page 365:

"He was up, in the unfamiliar room of the Linton Lodge Hotel..."

An odd quote to notice, I know. When I live in Oxford during 1999-2001, I lived within walking distance of the Linton Lodge. If my husband had people in on business, he had them stay there so he could easily pick them up in the morning to go to the office. My husband's uncle also stayed there when I was too close to my due date with my second child to have him stay with us. I vividly recall walking that street on the way to attend a playgroup with my son. The street was very picturesque.

After reminiscing about the Linton Lodge, I then laughed when I read this quote on page 388:

"We met in Pascoe's room, a comfortable nest that could have been in one of those cozy-shabby hotels the English seem to like."

If you have ever spent any length of time in England, you will know how true this statement is, not only about hotels, but other places as well.
Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes-Book Title

This quote of page 385 refers directly to the title of the book:

"Tis a penny-tuppence business withal, emplaced curiouslie betwixt the bawds and the bears, of no consequence a thynge of ayre and shadowes."
Laura

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Laura,

Perfect! I loved this title, didn't you?
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Laura,

Perfect! I loved this title, didn't you?

Yes, it was a very cool title. That's not a way in which I would usually describe a book title either.
Laura

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Laura,

So often I have to recheck the title of whatever I'm reading- for some reason, titles don't usually stay in my head, unless they make me think a bit.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 199 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: