Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Later Chapters Discussion: Religion in the Novel

How do religious affiliations play an important part in both the past and the modern-day storylines?

Note: This discussion topic is particularly suitable for readers who have finished or nearly finished reading The Book of Air and Shadows. If you have not finished reading the book, this thread may contain plot spoilers.

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Religion in the Novel - Question

On page 349, Paul tells Jake about his notion that their mother married their father in order to "advance the racial theories of the Third Reich," as Jake put it. Paul says, "Not in so many words, but we were often told that the Nazis lost because they were too pure and noble and so she was sacrificing herself to inject some sneaky-smart Jew genes into the mix."

This is an example of a religious stereotype of Jews in the book. I feel like I have heard of Nazis trying to get the right look for their people and being willing to intermarry with others. I am not sure that this is true though. I also couldn't help but wonder if the idea of marrying a Jew in order to introduce some of their characteristics into the race is based in some sort of fact. Does anyone know? Michael?
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: Religion in the Novel - Question

Laura,

What an incredibly interesting question! I've never heard of it, or thought about it. But, you know me, I'm going to have to try to find out about that one.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 302 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: