Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Later Chapters Discussion: The World in the Letters

The Bracegirdle letters create an incredible sense of time and place, employing both the texture of a different era of English, as well as the physical details of Bracegirdle's world. What are the deepest contrasts you found between the world Bracegirdle inhabited and the one we do? Were they the differences you expected to find? What surprised you?

Note: This discussion topic is particularly suitable for readers who have finished or nearly finished reading The Book of Air and Shadows. If you have not finished reading the book, this thread may contain plot spoilers.

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.
Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters Discussion: The World in the Letters

Stephanie wrote:
The Bracegirdle letters create an incredible sense of time and place, employing both the texture of a different era of English, as well as the physical details of Bracegirdle's world. What are the deepest contrasts you found between the world Bracegirdle inhabited and the one we do? Were they the differences you expected to find? What surprised you?

What strikes me is the unpredictability of life and its vagaries. Richard starts his story being buffeted about by chance, and most of the decisions that he has had to make have been forced by circumstance. Even when he feels in charge, he truly is not. It reminds me a bit of the plight of many of the homeless today. It appears that it's mainly the wealthy and powerful (one can't really be one without the other) who have the luxury of acting upon their own beliefs and impulses.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kat,

Good point- although I'm not even certain the wealthy could act upon their whims then. In order to keep their social standing (or their head), there would always be someone above them, dictating their actions. A king or queen to tell them how to pray, for instance (Henry VIII, his daughters, Mary and Elizabeth... etc.)
Stephanie
Author
michaelgruber
0 Kudos

The vagaries of fate are a constant trope in Shakespeare. The difference is that in the Elizabethan age, every person was supposed to be embedded in some social structure. Their structure was far more stable and complex than ours. It was hard to get knocked out of the structure, but once out, there was nothing to keep you from falling to the bottom and becoming an outlaw, as Richard B. did. But Richard was fortunate in having a skill that he could trade, an in fact shooting cannons was one of the few skills open to a free-lance individual. The art was so new, relatively, that it was not constrained by the guild and household structure that most of the people in Richard's time had to set themselves within. In this, he's more modern than his contemporaries.

One opf the things I tried to show is that after his experience as a free-lance and a pirate, he's desperate to be accepted into some structure, which is why he falls in so readily with the plotters.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Michael,

I have learned so much from this novel, and from you. I am truly enthralled by the time period, and I really appreciate your sharing with us here.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 233 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: