Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Historical Information: Civil War Casualties

Vivan, these letters are absolutely amazing. What are her final plans for them? Is she planning to publish them?

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
Vivan, these letters are absolutely amazing. What are her final plans for them? Is she planning to publish them?

IBIS

Some of them that she did years ago, some were slave records too, she has given to the two states historical societies where they took place, mainly Mississippi and Louisiana. She has also given copies of them to genealogical societies of those two states, and Civil War museums. Getting to do this has been one of those once in a life time, being in the right place at the right time, things for me. I keep telling her these would make a magnificent southern epic and she just smiles. She is happy we are doing this together too, she says I am really helping her get something done that she never thought would get finished, no one in her family is interested, and a lot of times she tells me, I have NO idea how you can make out those words at all, but I have looked at this kind of writing like I said for over 10 years. I don't think it was a coincidence we were hooked up together :smileywink:. I had a couple of other letters I wanted to share with you guys that just were great, but thought I was probably overdoing it, so I didn't lol.

I think it is great that she is getting these out there for the public to read and she puts notes on what I transcribe about any names I find, saying who they are and giving any information on them she has. She doesnt know how much she is going to be helping someone out there do their geneology. Especially with those slave records, its much harder to do your geneology in America if you came from slave ancestors,you have to have an idea where they were and then start checking "property records" of all kinds and then often, you only have one name, no last name or they had the last name of their owners. So I love helping her do this but I really do think there is a book in these letters over the decades, even if you are only hearing the one side. I feel for Julia, the woman all these are written to, so much but have very seldom heard her voice as her responses to all these lay mainly with someone else. But even so, its like unraveling a great story.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
I don't know if you've seen the movie GLORY about the first black Massachusetts Union regiment sent to fight in the South. Apparently, some of the soldiers suffered from heat exhaustion and sun stroke. Its not shown in the film, but in the article, the Union military leadership didn't figure in the debilitating effects of humidity and rising temperatures on men who are used to the cooler Northern climates.

I haven't seen that movie. This book has taken me on so many interesting tangents.

That reminds me, the book Vivian mentioned, The Plantation Mistress, was full of interesting tidbits. I did not read it word for word, but did spend about two hours with it. It clarified some things about plantation life for me. I lived in Baton Rouge, LA for five years and loved touring the old plantations. It is hard not to romanticize the period when, for instance, a majestic plantation home is beautifully decorated for Christmas and men and women in period dress tell stories.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Historical Information: the letters

Ok, i wasn't going to post another letter here, BUT... lol, I just did one, from the brother of the young man I mentioned earlier who didn't die in the Spanish_American war but just after he got home. This brother's name is Devereux and this is one year later. He is in the navy and headed for the Philippines. This letter to his mother got a bit eerie and had my heart racing. Also like Michael said, oh man how they did know how to write and show their feelings. A son these days would not write such a incredibly loving letter to his mother or if he did and used such words, people would wonder about him or tease him. But to me, two things hit me, I cried at how he loved his mother and spoke to her and also I thought, oh how I would love to have one of his letters to his wife, if he speaks so of his mother, those must be incredible. These are such an amazing collection to me, I am so glad someone kept this near century of letters.

My darling precious Mother,

When this reaches you I will be far out upon the ocean, so far from all I love, from you and my wife, my little boy, my brothers & sisters. Oh how I hate the parting, not the trip, nor distance, but some how I fear I may not see you soon again. Take care of my beloved wife, she is so noble & true, and loves me, oh so faithfully, she and my boy, you must guard well, and should I die, and his mother also, He is yours - and should we all three go then Agnes must take him. I had so strange a dream last night, you and I were with my Father upon some vessel far at sea. It was as though he had been alive again, and was dying once more and I can never forget the smile he gave us ere he closed his eyes. Strange dream was it not. I have felt it all day. We received orders today to leave on the 5th. I will write you tomorrow on business & send you money for Flanigan. My life insurance is so important, it will be all Jule and the boy will have. I will keep up the Family record on the field and may God will me safely through all. Oh my darling you must not worry about me. All will be well, keep your health my darling, take care of yourself for my

sake I pray you. Oh mother, my darling you must know how intensely I love you, guard thyself for my sake. Mother, mother, oh my mother, my darling, my heart yearns for you, my prayers to God are for you. You have been mine for life my beloved noble beautiful guide. God bless you my darling. Keep cheerful and in health. This also oh God is the bitter time of our lives, in the autumn and winter all our miseries have come. Be brave this month, and when you go where he is sleeping place for me some flowers. Oh I can never recover from the bitterness of his loss. I loved him so well and I was always tender to him from his babyhood to his __ manhood. Good night my letter has been short & sad & will make you unhappy. I cannot write anything now but sorrow for my heart is heavy. The full reality of the coming absence is upon me. Good night my darling, God bless you. Oh may God forever bless you my beloved mother.
Your devoted son
Devereux

I also put on the papers I do, if there was an envelope with the letter and anything written on it, address, sender, notes etc. Guys, on the back of this one was a note Devereux was captured in Manila and wounded. It says nothing more. I guess I will find out in letters to come. MY GOSH!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online:112 members 734 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: