Author
MichaelCWhite
0 Kudos

Re: True Love? ***SPOILER ALERT****

Stephanie wrote:

MichaelCWhite wrote:
At this point, I just enjoy sitting back and hearing what you folks think about Cain and Rosetta, and their relationship. I would love for each of you to come to my lit class in the spring, where I'll be teaching Soul Catcher, so that I could listen in as you talked about Cain and Rosetta. But I did want to touch on the comparsion that was made about how they make love to each other differently those two times--the first a release of tremendous sexual tension, the second more tender and slow and intimate. That was a great point. And I hope this doesn't spoil the latter part of the book for anyone.

Michael

Michael,

I would love to attend that class- I have a feeling you're going to enjoy yourself a great deal.

Stephanie,

I hope that teaching my own book doesn't seem as egotistical as it might. Many years ago, some of my students started to ask me why I didn't teach my own books. I did, with more than a little trepidation, fearing that it might seem very self-serving. And perhaps it is, a bit. But I found that I could share with them how I wrote, how I came up with ideas, how I revised, and how difficult writing is. I thought I could help them as writers. But it is enlightening, as is this book club, to have others discuss things I only sensed on an intuitive level and sometimes not even then.

So, yes, I hope that I enjoy hearing about the book.

Michael

Learn more about
Soul Catcher
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

It's no more egotistical than it would be for a builder to teach/discuss the structure and form of his creation, I think. I view writing as a craft and a talent- you need both, don't you, to be successful? And I'm sure there's a lot of raw talent out there that could use a little honing of the craft. I just know that I would love to teach a book I would know as intimately as the one I wrote myself. You alone know what was in your mind while you were writing, what your plans were, where the characters led you... it would be very interesting, I think, in a classroom setting, to hear the thought processes that went on from the other side of the page. The reader's perspective, as they read. It would be fascinating.
Stephanie
Author
MichaelCWhite
0 Kudos

Stephanie,

Thanks. The builder comparison is a good one and one I sometimes use myself. My father was a farmer and a carpenter, and he often took me as a boy to help him at the jobsite. I know that he would enter someone's house and look at the walls and floors to see if everything was aligned and plumb. That was his craft, as fiction is mine.

Michael

Learn more about
Soul Catcher
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

MichaelCWhite wrote:
Stephanie,

I hope that teaching my own book doesn't seem as egotistical as it might. Many years ago, some of my students started to ask me why I didn't teach my own books. I did, with more than a little trepidation, fearing that it might seem very self-serving. And perhaps it is, a bit. But I found that I could share with them how I wrote, how I came up with ideas, how I revised, and how difficult writing is. I thought I could help them as writers. But it is enlightening, as is this book club, to have others discuss things I only sensed on an intuitive level and sometimes not even then.

So, yes, I hope that I enjoy hearing about the book.

Michael

Michael,
The book clubs that the authors participate in are absolutely my favorite clubs. Who knows the book better? It is so fascinating to be able to ask the authors questions. There are so many things I would like to learn about each book and I take away so much more from those clubs. I have to say that you have been wonderful about contributing this month. You have answered all of our questions and given us such an education besides. I haven't read a lot of historical fiction in the past but I will be in the future. I'll be reading the rest of your books first!
Author
MichaelCWhite
0 Kudos

Thanks. I appreciate your kind words.

Michael

Learn more about
Soul Catcher
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Michael,

I suppose I thought of a builder because my father was also a carpenter. He did some incredible magic with our little house when I was growing up. It had started out as one room and a small cellar... unbelievable to think of it now. Even though no one wanted to work with him, everyone wanted his work. He was a perfectionist, and that made him a difficult partner, but a sought-after craftsman. I followed in his footsteps for a while, and even got to work with him in NYC for a time. I guess either I was used to his standards, or he wasn't so tough on me. :smileyhappy: Great memories- thanks for stirring them up!

MichaelCWhite wrote:
Stephanie,

Thanks. The builder comparison is a good one and one I sometimes use myself. My father was a farmer and a carpenter, and he often took me as a boy to help him at the jobsite. I know that he would enter someone's house and look at the walls and floors to see if everything was aligned and plumb. That was his craft, as fiction is mine.

Michael

Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 600 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: