Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Violence

[ Edited ]
Violence plays a large role in the novel. For instance, John Brown says that America is in need of “a lot of killing.” Can violence ever be justified? Can it ever be redemptive?

Message Edited by Stephanie on 10-28-2007 08:20 PM
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Violence

Stephanie wrote:
Violence plays a large role in the novel. For instance, John Brown says that America is in need of “a lot of killing.” Can violence ever be justified? Can it ever be redemptive?

Message Edited by Stephanie on 10-28-2007 08:20 PM

I know this is not a black and white issue. So let me put it this way, aside from actual self defense, aside from self defense in a War where we are attacked (I do not believe in first strike weapons, only defensive) and given that many could say, well the violence that for example, John Brown did, in trying to end slavery, was in defense of the killing of the Negroes, in general I do believe that violence accomplishes nothing but creating the dead. I am highly concerned with what is happening in Darfur for example and believe we should be there with other free nations of the world, but to protect while diplomacy goes to work. Some would say we have never accomplished anything with diplomacy but we have and do if you think of what we are really doing with diplomacy when just trying to convince a person or a nation that the violence they do is evil, is we find where we can hit them without a shot being fired and lets face it, its usually in the pocketbook. Its why we do all these sanctions, stop this from going to them, or take that from them WHILE protecting the innocent and they will back down. If anyone ever does it to us, we will to as a nation or we will become what they are and use weapons to take what we want and put some nice little title to it that sounds very moral and altruistic. OK, this could get hairy to talk about huh lol. :smileywink: So let me just give you a few quotes about violence that I think are very true:

One who uses coercion is guilty of deliberate violence. Coercion is inhuman.
Gandhi (by the way, if this is true, then was John Brown's tactics as inhuman as those he was fighting against?)

It is indeed probable that more harm and misery have been caused by men determined to use coercion to stamp out a moral evil than by men intent on doing evil.
F.A. Hayek

Violence is a choice masquerading as a necessity.

And this by Martin Luther King Jr.
Through violence you may murder a murderer, but you can't murder murder.
Through violence you may murder a liar, but you can't establish truth.
Through violence you may murder a hater, but you can't murder hate.
Darkness cannot put out darkness. Only light can do that.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
MichaelCWhite
0 Kudos

Vivian,

Loved your quotes about violence. The differing moral codes of, say, a Ghandi on the one hand, and a John Brown on the other. One willing to die for his beliefs, the other willing to kill and to die for his. There were many non-violent abolitionists--Quakers, for example--who would help runaway slaves and even endanger their own lives.

Michael

Learn more about
Soul Catcher
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

The amount of violence in the book was disturbing, especially all the killing at the cabin at the end of the book. Whew! And what came out of that particular scene? Rosetta was free, as was Cain. But look at all the people who died trying to enslave one person...
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online:38 members 394 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: