Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Some Videos

[ Edited ]
There are some videos on this site of Eugenides (not very long and not very good) but still video. Some are missing. But the links to the interviews are good.

This was a special mini site set up by Picador for Middlesex:

http://www.picadorusa.com/static/middlesex/links.html

Message Edited by bentley on 06-18-2007 09:27 PM
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Interesting little Prague interview

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: Additional Discussion Questions

bentley wrote:
The publisher of Middlesex (Picador) has a pdf file: Reading guide for Middlesex which had some great discussion questions in it. Some seem to be similar to what we have been discussing. Are you planning to break out some additional threads for discussion of the last third of the novel and possibly could we discuss some of the other questions in the guide? Posting the guide here for your perusal. This is a pretty complex read and I am not sure where folks are in the reading process; but thought I would post the file anyways.

http://www.picadorusa.com/rgg/files/0312422156.pdf

Great questions to reflect on, Bentley. Let's start by taking a stab at # 9. I'll start a new thread.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Wikipedia on Eugenides

PaulH wrote:

bentley wrote:

PaulH wrote:
"He is very reluctant to appear in public"

Sounds like the last Oprah pick.

They are all recluses. Yes, I agree.

I'd like to see her go for the recluse of recluses before it's too late -- J.D. Salinger.

The problem with Salinger is not so much that he is a recluse but many have felt that he had a breakdown of some sort and had turned rather strange. Reclusive is one thing; strange is another.

He keeps saying that he is writing; but nothing really has been published. I am not sure that Oprah could work her magic there.

But who can deny the greatness of The Catcher in the Rye.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

I wonder, when he does pass, what his years of suppossed writing will yield. It could be amazing.

bentley wrote:

PaulH wrote:

bentley wrote:

PaulH wrote:

I'd like to see her go for the recluse of recluses before it's too late -- J.D. Salinger.

The problem with Salinger is not so much that he is a recluse but many have felt that he had a breakdown of some sort and had turned rather strange. Reclusive is one thing; strange is another.

He keeps saying that he is writing; but nothing really has been published. I am not sure that Oprah could work her magic there.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
I wonder, when he does pass, what his years of suppossed writing will yield. It could be amazing.

bentley wrote:

PaulH wrote:

bentley wrote:

PaulH wrote:

That is true...it could be a treasure chest of unpublished work...or an empty one.
Users Online
Currently online: 68 members 646 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: