Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Family Tree (SPOILER)

[ Edited ]
This is what I have been able to come up with so far (I will add more). The majority of this is in the first three books of the novel. But please do not read further if you would like to figure this out yourself. This is just a guide and the idea of a family tree was posed in one of the discussions by the moderator.

SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER

In 1750, the single mutated gene on the fifth chromosome, first appeared in the bloodline in the body of one Penelope Evangelatos (great grandmother of Cal/Calliope and Chapter Eleven to the ninth power).

Penelope Evangelatos (great grandmother to the ninth power) had a son named Petras who passed the gene onto his two daughters. These two daughters between them of Petras (who was their father) had five children between them and three of these children had the genes passed down to them and they were carriers and they continued to pass the recessive genes down through generations.

I guess this gene got passed down to Euphrosyne Stepanides who passed the genes to her daughter Desdemona (the new matriarch to the family) and to her son Eleutherios (Lefty). I do not have any mention of Desdemona's and Lefty's father's name but we know that their parents were killed in the Greek and Turkish war.

We are also told that Desdemona and Eleutherios (Lefty) both inherited the recessive genes and were also not only brother and sister but third cousins and then became husband and wife. Lefty stated on page 39: "You're not only my sister. You're my third cousing - third cousins can marry."

They marry and come to America where their first cousin Sourmelina is living in Detroit.

Sourmelina, their first cousin, is married to Jimmy Zizmo (Zisimopoulos)

Desdemona and Lefty (brother and sister, third cousins, and now husband and wife) have two healthy children named Miltiades (Milton) and Zoe Helen Stephanides (Zoe).

We know that Milton (Desdemona's son and Lefty's son inherits the gene). So Milton is their son, but also a second cousin to Sourmelina.

We know that Zoe (Desdemona's and Lefty's daughter) is married to Uncle Mike Antoniou.
(Father Mike).

Milton and Zoe are brother and sister and fourth cousins to each other and second cousins to Sourmelina.

Sourmelina Pappasdiamondoupoulis and Jimmy Zizmo (Zisimoupoulos) are married. This was arranged by Mr. Pappasdiamondoupoulis to get Sourmelina out of town. Sourmelina is first cousin to Desdemona and Lefty. She and Jimmy have a daughter named Theodora who is nicknamed Tessie. Tessie and Milton grow up in the same household as babies. They are second cousins. Milton was not only Desdemona's and Lefty's son but Milton was also his own mother's (Desdemona) and father's (Lefty) nephew!

So now Milton and Tessie get married (second cousins and husband and wife). They have Chapter Eleven (a boy - normal I guess) and Calliope Helen Stephanides.

Chapter Eleven and Calliope/Cal are brother and sister (if you are talking about Calliope) and brother and brother (if you are talking about Cal) but they are also third cousins. Their grandmother and grandfather (Desdemona and Lefty) are also their great aunt and uncle.

Their grandmother Sourmelina is also their first cousin twice removed. And they are fifth cousins to their grandmother and grandfather Desdemona and Lefty.

Anyways that is what I have gotten out of it so far. I will correct any of the above if things change and/or anybody notices anything else. (lol)

Message Edited by bentley on 06-14-2007 11:42 PM

Message Edited by bentley on 06-15-2007 12:15 AM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: Family Tree (SPOILER)

Great work, Bentley. Just the sort of "twisted" tree we needed!

bentley wrote:
This is what I have been able to come up with so far (I will add more). The majority of this is in the first three books of the novel. But please do not read further if you would like to figure this out yourself. This is just a guide and the idea of a family tree was posed in one of the discussions by the moderator.

SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER

In 1750, the single mutated gene on the fifth chromosome, first appeared in the bloodline in the body of one Penelope Evangelatos (great grandmother of Cal/Calliope and Chapter Eleven to the ninth power).

Penelope Evangelatos (great grandmother to the ninth power) had a son named Petras who passed the gene onto his two daughters. These two daughters between them of Petras (who was their father) had five children between them and three of these children had the genes passed down to them and they were carriers and they continued to pass the recessive genes down through generations.

I guess this gene got passed down to Euphrosyne Stepanides who passed the genes to her daughter Desdemona (the new matriarch to the family) and to her son Eleutherios (Lefty). I do not have any mention of Desdemona's and Lefty's father's name but we know that their parents were killed in the Greek and Turkish war.

We are also told that Desdemona and Eleutherios (Lefty) both inherited the recessive genes and were also not only brother and sister but third cousins and then became husband and wife. Lefty stated on page 39: "You're not only my sister. You're my third cousing - third cousins can marry."

They marry and come to America where their first cousin Sourmelina is living in Detroit.

Sourmelina, their first cousin, is married to Jimmy Zizmo (Zisimopoulos)

Desdemona and Lefty (brother and sister, third cousins, and now husband and wife) have two healthy children named Miltiades (Milton) and Zoe Helen Stephanides (Zoe).

We know that Milton (Desdemona's son and Lefty's son inherits the gene). So Milton is their son, but also a second cousin to Sourmelina.

We know that Zoe (Desdemona's and Lefty's daughter) is married to Uncle Mike Antoniou.
(Father Mike).

Milton and Zoe are brother and sister and fourth cousins to each other and second cousins to Sourmelina.

Sourmelina Pappasdiamondoupoulis and Jimmy Zizmo (Zisimoupoulos) are married. This was arranged by Mr. Pappasdiamondoupoulis to get Sourmelina out of town. Sourmelina is first cousin to Desdemona and Lefty. She and Jimmy have a daughter named Theodora who is nicknamed Tessie. Tessie and Milton grow up in the same household as babies. They are second cousins. Milton was not only Desdemona's and Lefty's son but Milton was also his own mother's (Desdemona) and father's (Lefty) nephew!

So now Milton and Tessie get married (second cousins and husband and wife). They have Chapter Eleven (a boy - normal I guess) and Calliope Helen Stephanides.

Chapter Eleven and Calliope/Cal are brother and sister (if you are talking about Calliope) and brother and brother (if you are talking about Cal) but they are also third cousins. Their grandmother and grandfather (Desdemona and Lefty) are also their great aunt and uncle.

Their grandmother Sourmelina is also their first cousin twice removed. And they are fifth cousins to their grandmother and grandfather Desdemona and Lefty.

Anyways that is what I have gotten out of it so far. I will correct any of the above if things change and/or anybody notices anything else. (lol)

Message Edited by bentley on 06-14-2007 11:42 PM

Message Edited by bentley on 06-15-2007 12:15 AM

Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
0 Kudos

This is great work, bentley, thanks. It's a complicated family tree but you managed to explain in clearly.:smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

CallMeLeo wrote:
This is great work, bentley, thanks. It's a complicated family tree but you managed to explain in clearly.:smileyhappy:

No problem..now I just have to get through the book and all of its legends, Greek mythology references, etc. There are so many connections; a real undercurrent in the book.

Glad you liked it. It is probably the most convoluted family tree I have ever seen...(lol).
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 269 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: