Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Jro7701
0 Kudos

I really wanted to like Middlesex but after the first 2 c...

I really wanted to like Middlesex but after the first 2 chapters I had to put it down. It was like torture reading it! I am so sorry to say I do not like this book at all.....
Jenni
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: I really wanted to like Middlesex but after the first 2 c...

first of all, I haven't read this book yet, but i know enough about ANY book to know one must read more than two chapters to really 'get into it.' If you have not already left this discussion for good, i beg you to preserver! You mmay continue to hate it, but there is always the chance...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Jro7701 wrote:
I really wanted to like Middlesex but after the first 2 chapters I had to put it down. It was like torture reading it! I am so sorry to say I do not like this book at all.....

Hang in there. This book truly deserves the honors it has received. It might be the subject matter that you are encountering problems with..I know it bothered me at first..but it really is a terrific read once you get through it. At first, it can be confusing and uncomfortable..but it is worthwhile.

Take care.
Contributor
VibRata60
0 Kudos

Oh I so agree with you. I wish I had had the courage to put it down, but I kept hoping it would get better, unfortunately it did NOT. It took me all summer to read a book I would normally have finished in a day or two. I was very disappointed in Oprah's choice this time.
Vibby
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I have no where else to put this, so, here's my true and final response to this book: amazing. stunning. great.

don't understand why you think the first chapters dull.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 700 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: