Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
BN Editor
Bill_T
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎03-20-2007
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself!

Welcome to the conversation. Take a moment here to introduce yourself. Are you reading Middlesex for the first time? Have you participated in any of our other book clubs? Take a moment and let us know a little something about you.
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

I finished Middlesex about 1 month before Eugenides won the Pulitzer and then got lucky enough to hear him giving a reading at the University of Iowa right after he got the Pulitzer. Eugenides is not only a good writer but a good reader, too. I actually prefer The Virgin Suicides, but I think that's because I sympathize so much with the five girls and with their neighbor trying to break into their world. Cal's story in Middlesex is amazing, though, and should be read by everyone.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi Melissa,

Drop in when you can. We'd love to hear your insight!

Best,

Paul
New User
ayla4569
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-05-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

I read Middlesex awhile back. Throughly detailed and a great read. I love how he takes you back into all their lives and keeps you interested the whole way through. I loved every minute of reading it.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!



ayla4569 wrote:
I read Middlesex awhile back. Throughly detailed and a great read. I love how he takes you back into all their lives and keeps you interested the whole way through. I loved every minute of reading it.




Thanks for joining the conversation. Have you read the Virgin Suicides? Melissa's got me sold on reading that next.
Frequent Contributor
LaurenKondrat
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎06-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!



Bill_T wrote:
Welcome to the conversation. Take a moment here to introduce yourself. Are you reading Middlesex for the first time? Have you participated in any of our other book clubs? Take a moment and let us know a little something about you.


My name is Lauren and this is my first time participating in an online book discussion. I am 24 years old and a high school English teacher. I picked up the book because I had quite enjoyed The Virgin Suicides.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!



LaurenKondrat wrote:


Bill_T wrote:
Welcome to the conversation. Take a moment here to introduce yourself. Are you reading Middlesex for the first time? Have you participated in any of our other book clubs? Take a moment and let us know a little something about you.


My name is Lauren and this is my first time participating in an online book discussion. I am 24 years old and a high school English teacher. I picked up the book because I had quite enjoyed The Virgin Suicides.




Welcome, Lauren!
Frequent Contributor
CallMeLeo
Posts: 513
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi, I'm Leonora. I just finished Byatt's POSSESSION and now picked up Middlesex with no idea what to expect only that the critics loved it, it won the Pulitzer, and the main character, Cal is unique. Without having gotten further than the first two pages, it already feels I'm in for a great ride.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hello Leonora,

For some reason Possession to Middlesex seems like a natural progression. You're in the company of two great writers!

Paul
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!


Bill_T wrote:
Welcome to the conversation. Take a moment here to introduce yourself. Are you reading Middlesex for the first time? Have you participated in any of our other book clubs? Take a moment and let us know a little something about you.




Hello Paul,

Just picked up the book tonight. Did not know what to expect; because at first I wasn't sure that this book interested me. The reviews changed my mind and I am looking forward to discovering this book with the group.

Bentley
New User
Carolyn66
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

I am Carolyn! I just picked up my copy of Middlesex today at our local B&N in Victorville this morning. I did not know that Oprah had announced a new book! When I got to the book store they did not even have them out on the shelves yet. Another gentle man was picking up a copy and when they brought his out I asked if I could have one too -- there were a lot of people waiting for it!

I have not fully participated in any other book clubs, but now that I am a stay at home parent I should be able to fully participate! I really love to read, I am raising 3 children (13, 9, 13). I have 3 dogs and 2 cats, and I really feel isolated since I am no longer working. I knit, quilt, scrapbook, and love to be outside in the mists of nature.

I am looking forward to reading this book --- Carolyn
Carolyn
"I think the worst thing I ever lost was my mind"
New User
Carolyn66
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Melissa --
I have a enjoy Knitting too -- infact I spend a good deal of time at our local yarn shop just feeling yarns, many of which find there way into my ever growing stash! Knitting, Coffee and Book --- is there more to Life!!!! Carolyn
Carolyn
"I think the worst thing I ever lost was my mind"
Contributor
belimiami
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

It's my first time in a book club and I want to see how it goes. After reading a comments on Middlesex I got myself a copy. I'm through with the first chapters. I love the story and style.

Hoping for a wonderful experience!

Beli
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Then you should drop by the knitting group :smileyhappy:



Carolyn66 wrote:
Melissa --
I have a enjoy Knitting too -- infact I spend a good deal of time at our local yarn shop just feeling yarns, many of which find there way into my ever growing stash! Knitting, Coffee and Book --- is there more to Life!!!! Carolyn


Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Good to see you here, Bentley, and a big welcoming hello to Carolyn and Beli. I can't wait to hear all your reactions to the novel.
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
Posts: 152
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

I am an elementary school librarian living and working in New Jersey. I have just
purchased Middlesex and will be starting the book soon. I have joined and been a part of many discussions everything from My Antonia to Back to Blosson Street. I also have
posted on the new Kid Lit site. I am looking forward to reading Middlesex.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!



johanna49 wrote:
I am an elementary school librarian living and working in New Jersey. I have just
purchased Middlesex and will be starting the book soon. I have joined and been a part of many discussions everything from My Antonia to Back to Blosson Street. I also have
posted on the new Kid Lit site. I am looking forward to reading Middlesex.




Hi there, johanna49. We're looking forward to your thoughts and questions!
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
Posts: 166
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi,

I'm Marcia. I read Middlesex a few years ago and will now have to take it out of the library again to participate fully. I loved the book, but oddly, more for it's comment on the immigrant experience and 20th century American history than gender identity. The description of the Detroit race riot was my absolute favorite. If the last third of the book had been as good as the first two thirds I think it would be a candidate for "the great American novel". I liked the ending, though.

Don't get me wrong - I found the gender identity issues interesting, but the other aspects of the book blew me away.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!



marcialou wrote:
Hi,

I'm Marcia. I read Middlesex a few years ago and will now have to take it out of the library again to participate fully. I loved the book, but oddly, more for it's comment on the immigrant experience and 20th century American history than gender identity. The description of the Detroit race riot was my absolute favorite. If the last third of the book had been as good as the first two thirds I think it would be a candidate for "the great American novel". I liked the ending, though.

Don't get me wrong - I found the gender identity issues interesting, but the other aspects of the book blew me away.




You are right..it was a great book first..and then you forgot about the gender identity issue. I also thought that it dealt very much with greek heritage (ancient and modern) and there was a strong connection to Greek mythological gods, goddesses which I thoroughly enjoyed (an American epic).

Regards,

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
Chaser
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Melissa,

When I read this, I couldn't help but remember the part in the book where loved ones sailing away on a ship held the ball of yarn, and the people on shore held the other end. I thought it was a great description of colors and textures.

What a wonderful idea for those leaving someone behind. Another great use for yarn, I guess.






Carolyn66 wrote:
Melissa --
I have a enjoy Knitting too -- infact I spend a good deal of time at our local yarn shop just feeling yarns, many of which find there way into my ever growing stash! Knitting, Coffee and Book --- is there more to Life!!!! Carolyn


Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 658 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: