Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Chaser
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

I know I am quite late coming on board, but I thought I would introduce myself anyway.

I am Abbie, currently living in Chattanooga, TN. I actually heard the title of this book mentioned back when I participated in Barnes and Noble University, but didn't know anything about it. When Oprah featured it, I figured it was my chance to find out.

I was hesitant to start the book at first, to be honest, simply because I learned that the narrator was a hermaphrodite. Narrow-minded, I know. Even though I was not sure what to expect, I am so glad I proceeded and am about midway through the book at this time.

The more books I read, the more I realize the best books introduce something new for the first time - a new culture, a new idea, or a type of person we may know nothing about.

I am really sympathizing with Calliope during her journey through adolescence - it's hard enough to begin with, and I know she is in for some heartbreaking times ahead. I am rooting for her and will hang with her/him as she makes her transformation. I'm thankful that Eugenides had the heart to take on this subject. I know it has increased my sensitivity!

Also, as another poster mentioned, I feel like, historically-speaking, I have been bombarded by new information and have really enjoyed the historical journey I have been on so far. It has impressed me as such a fresh approach to a people group I know very little about.

I am really enjoying myself with the book and look forward to reading your posts as soon as I feel confident they won't spoil anything for me!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome, Chaser. There's a ton of helpful and interesting threads here. Read on!

Chaser wrote:
I know I am quite late coming on board, but I thought I would introduce myself anyway.

I am Abbie, currently living in Chattanooga, TN. I actually heard the title of this book mentioned back when I participated in Barnes and Noble University, but didn't know anything about it. When Oprah featured it, I figured it was my chance to find out.

I was hesitant to start the book at first, to be honest, simply because I learned that the narrator was a hermaphrodite. Narrow-minded, I know. Even though I was not sure what to expect, I am so glad I proceeded and am about midway through the book at this time.

The more books I read, the more I realize the best books introduce something new for the first time - a new culture, a new idea, or a type of person we may know nothing about.

I am really sympathizing with Calliope during her journey through adolescence - it's hard enough to begin with, and I know she is in for some heartbreaking times ahead. I am rooting for her and will hang with her/him as she makes her transformation. I'm thankful that Eugenides had the heart to take on this subject. I know it has increased my sensitivity!

Also, as another poster mentioned, I feel like, historically-speaking, I have been bombarded by new information and have really enjoyed the historical journey I have been on so far. It has impressed me as such a fresh approach to a people group I know very little about.

I am really enjoying myself with the book and look forward to reading your posts as soon as I feel confident they won't spoil anything for me!

New User
leelee_22
0 Kudos

LeeLee here, I have MiddleSex. Have had it on my shelf for months. Need to finish it. A lot of detail so not a quick read but great!! Also a knitter, sewer and basically cannot sit still.

Good to meet all of you, have wanted to join some type of book club but no time in the real hours of the day.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hi there LeeLee. Be sure to stop back and peruse these threads while you read the novel, as there's a wealth of information here!
New User
alexcross4me
0 Kudos

Sorry, I'm late getting in here. I just joined today. I'm actually writing because I'm curious if Middlesex is really that good. I don't usually like the books Oprah picks, except for Night, but I keep hearing about it. So honestly, is it worth it? It seems like a lenghty read.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

alexcross4me wrote:
Sorry, I'm late getting in here. I just joined today. I'm actually writing because I'm curious if Middlesex is really that good. I don't usually like the books Oprah picks, except for Night, but I keep hearing about it. So honestly, is it worth it? It seems like a lenghty read.

Middlesex, in my humble opinion, is well worth the read. Not only is the main character, Cal, a fascinating study, the scope of history and culture covered by Eugenides is especially engaging.
New User
Jro7701
0 Kudos

Hi! Just joined the bookclub today. I have Middlesex and plan on starting it today. Heard about it on Oprah. Cannot wait to start it and discuss it with all my new online book buddies. Never been in a bookclub before so I am very much looking forward to the new experience.
Jenni
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hi There, Jenni! Peruse these threads as you read the book. I think you'll find them to be a great help and interesting to boot!

Jro7701 wrote:
Hi! Just joined the bookclub today. I have Middlesex and plan on starting it today. Heard about it on Oprah. Cannot wait to start it and discuss it with all my new online book buddies. Never been in a bookclub before so I am very much looking forward to the new experience.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I have only heard mad ravings (and literally) about this book. I LOVED The Virgin Suicides, now one of my favorite books of all time. so i get that it's about a hermaphrodite who travels (?) to greece? And that there is much history involved... and what else?
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

oh yeah, and i'm abi! Haven't visited this discussion before...have mostly been in hp bookclub. but feel i should perhaps branch out a bit now that **sob** it's er (stifles a moan) over...
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hi there, Abi. As you get into "middlesex", stop back here and browse these threads. They should be of a great help as you navigate the novel.

ABI wrote:
oh yeah, and i'm abi! Haven't visited this discussion before...have mostly been in hp bookclub. but feel i should perhaps branch out a bit now that **sob** it's er (stifles a moan) over...

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Oh, I will, certainly.
New User
Cajolly
0 Kudos

Bill_T wrote:
Welcome to the conversation. Take a moment here to introduce yourself. Are you reading Middlesex for the first time? Have you participated in any of our other book clubs? Take a moment and let us know a little something about you.

Hi, I'm a middle aged Gramma who also happens to be a Rural mail carrier. I love to read and this book was captivating. My background is child of the 50's, early 60's. teenager during the moon walk and Vietnam. Became a Mom at 17! 17? what was I thinking? Hippie with my baby in a backpack at the first Earth Day on the FSU campus. Divorced , Disco Diva, married again (for 30 years) 3 more kids and a conventional lifestyle! Now I'm the proud parent of 3outstanding college grad adults and one college student. Life is good
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Sounds like quite a life, Cajolly. You should write it down!

Cajolly wrote:

Bill_T wrote:
Welcome to the conversation. Take a moment here to introduce yourself. Are you reading Middlesex for the first time? Have you participated in any of our other book clubs? Take a moment and let us know a little something about you.

Hi, I'm a middle aged Gramma who also happens to be a Rural mail carrier. I love to read and this book was captivating. My background is child of the 50's, early 60's. teenager during the moon walk and Vietnam. Became a Mom at 17! 17? what was I thinking? Hippie with my baby in a backpack at the first Earth Day on the FSU campus. Divorced , Disco Diva, married again (for 30 years) 3 more kids and a conventional lifestyle! Now I'm the proud parent of 3outstanding college grad adults and one college student. Life is good

New User
JenH422
0 Kudos

Hi, this is the first time I have ever participated in an on-line book discussion, but I just finished reading Middlesex a few days ago and it still has such a grip on me that I feel like I will only be able to move forward after I have a chance to dwell on this excellent story a while longer. I am practically in mourning because I miss Callie/Cal so much. I am finding it a little hard to keep a line drawn between fact and fiction here -- Jeffrey E. has done such an amazing job bringing this character to life -- I feel like my best friend has just gone away and taken part of me with her.

I realize this sounds a little childish, which is way not me. (I'm old enough to have a son who allowed me to borrow his copy of this book.) But WOW, I wish I could keep reading this story forever.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 670 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: