Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: The Obscure Object

Not only dating myself but also once a patient of Dr. Raskind.

bentley wrote:

marcialou wrote:
I think it's my mistake for confusing an outcast with an outsider. The original word we used was outsider, which does not imply being shunned like an outcast. So I agree with both of you. Truman Capote certainly must have been an outsider, if not to some degree an outcast, in Monroeville Alabama.

Lots of us are outsiders in one way or another. Members of racial, religious, and sexual minorities, even when they are 99% integrated into the larger society, are outsiders on some occasions. This doesn't make us outcasts. Cal was an outsider not an outcast.

Furthermore, it's not surprising that outsiders should often be innovators and artists. It takes an outsider to see things differently from more conventional insiders.

Sorry. I thought I was being clever, but I wasn't. I hope the conversation was at least a little interesting.

Marcia

Message Edited by marcialou on 07-17-2007 05:23 PM

Very interesting Marcia and definitely no need for any apologies..but I think Paul has dated himself because I did not have a clue who Renee Richards was? (lol)

And that was interesting in of itself!

And mediocrity is always more of the same..so innovators and artists always stand out and may be standing on the fringes or ahead of the pack. I guess being different is not bad depending upon what being the same as everyone else connotes?

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

bentley wrote:

marcialou wrote:
I think it's my mistake for confusing an outcast with an outsider. The original word we used was outsider, which does not imply being shunned like an outcast. So I agree with both of you. Truman Capote certainly must have been an outsider, if not to some degree an outcast, in Monroeville Alabama.

Lots of us are outsiders in one way or another. Members of racial, religious, and sexual minorities, even when they are 99% integrated into the larger society, are outsiders on some occasions. This doesn't make us outcasts. Cal was an outsider not an outcast.

Furthermore, it's not surprising that outsiders should often be innovators and artists. It takes an outsider to see things differently from more conventional insiders.

Sorry. I thought I was being clever, but I wasn't. I hope the conversation was at least a little interesting.

Marcia

Very interesting Marcia and definitely no need for any apologies..but I think Paul has dated himself because I did not have a clue who Renee Richards was? (lol)

And mediocrity is always more of the same..so innovators and artists always stand out and may be standing on the fringes or ahead of the pack. I guess being different is not bad depending upon what being the same as everyone else connotes?

Very interesting Paul.

A write-up on a surgery she did:

http://www.putnamhospital.org/press/press_release.cfm?PressID=338
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

She actually just came out with another memoir (see below):

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=0743290135&pdf=y&z=y

bentley wrote:

PaulH wrote:

bentley wrote:

marcialou wrote:

Marcia

Very interesting Paul.

A write-up on a surgery she did:

http://www.putnamhospital.org/press/press_release.cfm?PressID=338

New User
Nightheart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi guys,

I am just about to write a paper on Cal´s and T.O.O´s relation in the novel itself and in the short story "The Obscure Object". Did any of you read the SS ? It was published in the New Yorker in 2002.
I read the SS first and I was wondering if anyone shared my impression that in this version it doesn´t become clear that Cal really is a hermaphrodite. When I read the novel I was surprised that the whole book is about Cal being/becoming a hermaphrodite.
The whole relation with T.O.O. suddenly becomes so much more important.
Or did I overlook things in the SS? What do you think?

Message Edited by Nightheart on 08-13-2007 07:49 AM
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Nightheart wrote:
Hi guys,

I am just about to write a paper on Cal´s and T.O.O´s relation in the novel itself and in the short story "The Obscure Object". Did any of you read the SS ? It was published in the New Yorker in 2002.
I read the SS first and I was wondering if anyone shared my impression that in this version it doesn´t become clear that Cal really is a hermaphrodite. When I read the novel I was surprised that the whole book is about Cal being/becoming a hermaphrodite.
The whole relation with T.O.O. suddenly becomes so much more important.
Or did I overlook things in the SS? What do you think?

Message Edited by Nightheart on 08-13-2007 07:49 AM

Elsewhere, it was posted (interviews with Eugenides) that the book went through changes in direction etc. and development over a number of years culminating in the Pulitzer prize novel Middlesex. I have never read the SS only the novel. Not sure what the reason for the change in focus but obviously it was an author related decision. What is clear within the novel is that Calliope was an hemaprodite at birth although not a known one even to herself until much later. The Obscure Object plays an important role in the puzzle. Good luck with your paper.
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 825 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: