Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome From Your Moderator

Hello and welcome to our discussion of Oprah’s recent book club pick; Jeffrey Eugenides’s Middlesex. My name's Paul and I'll be here to guide us through the work.

As one of my fellow editors astutely warned, “…don't approach this book with any preconceptions -- just have an open heart and mind plus a willingness to let a novelist who knows what he's doing break a few storytelling rules.”
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome From Your Moderator

[ Edited ]

PaulH wrote:
Hello and welcome to our discussion of Oprah’s recent book club pick; Jeffrey Eugenides’s Middlesex. My name's Paul and I'll be here to guide us through the work.

As one of my fellow editors astutely warned, “…don't approach this book with any preconceptions -- just have an open heart and mind plus a willingness to let a novelist who knows what he's doing break a few storytelling rules.”

Paul, just wondering...since the Eugenides book has also now been chosen by Oprah..is it possible for someone within Barnes and Noble to ask him if he might pop into the discussion here at Barnes and Noble. I am not sure; but I am wondering if someone contacted his agent or publisher Picador (which is right in New York); whether he might just not do that via email. The Meet the Writers section seems to show that he has been featured before so he certainly has had relationships with Barnes and Noble in the past. I bet he would be delighted to know that B&N was featuring his book again and that we are so interested in the book and the historical references which he so aptly showcased.

Would be great to ask him some of the questions that we have......wouldn't it? If he said no, well then, we are still having a great time discussing a heck of a good book.

Just a thought, Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 06-14-2007 08:24 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hi Bentley,

I notice Oprah has set up a link where she invites readers to email Eugenides (see below).

http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/obc_main.jhtml

Also, just a head's up that another segment of the Cormac McCarthy interview has been added, in which he touches on the number 1:17.

http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/featbook/road/interview/road_interview_main.jhtml

Paul, just wondering...since the Eugenides book has also now been chosen by Oprah..is it possible for someone within Barnes and Noble to ask him if he might pop into the discussion here at Barnes and Noble. I am not sure; but I am wondering if someone contacted his agent or publisher Picador (which is right in New York); whether he might just not do that via email. The Meet the Writers section seems to show that he has been featured before so he certainly has had relationships with Barnes and Noble in the past. I bet he would be delighted to know that B&N was featuring his book again and that we are so interested in the book and the historical references which he so aptly showcased.

Would be great to ask him some of the questions that we have......wouldn't it? If he said no, well then, we are still having a great time discussing a heck of a good book.

Just a thought, Bentley

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
Hi Bentley,

I notice Oprah has set up a link where she invites readers to email Eugenides (see below).

Also, just a head's up that another segment of the Cormac McCarthy interview has been added, in which he touches on the number 1:17.

http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/featbook/road/interview/road_interview_main.jhtml

Just a thought, Bentley

Paul, I saw that..but it is like sending mail to a black hole. There was no mention how Eugenides responds. But it is so odd that they are still adding segments after she has selected another book. Folks might not even know that these segments are out there after the fact. I will take a look. Thanks for letting me know.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
Hi Bentley,

Just a thought, Bentley

Watched both segments and there wasn't much there. Really no explanation for the number at all and I think he wasn't being quite forthright on that point. You do not keep choosing a number unless you pretty much know the reason for doing it. I think the explanation might have sounded silly so he avoided acknowledging whatever the genesis was. As far as the Nash story..that was downright spooky.

It seems like they added these two segments and dropped a couple of the others. But thank you for letting me know. It is interesting hearing him talk about some of his scientific and/or philosophical views.
Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 476 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: