Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Mohsin_Hamid
0 Kudos

A Welcome from the Author

Welcome to this conversation.

A novelist is a little bit like a mole: a creature that lives in a dark hole most of the time, and every so often climbs out to blink awkwardly in the sunlight. I have been writing The Reluctant Fundamentalist for seven years, mostly sitting by myself in a room without much of a view. Now it has just been published, and I will be encountering hundreds of new people across Europe, North America, Asia, and Australia. It is quite overwhelming. And this forum, an ongoing conversation lasting a month, is in some ways the most prolonged and intimate exposure that I will have to my readers. Thank you for being part of it.

I will not say much about the novel just yet: it is meant to be encountered without guidance. In fact, your individual reactions will shape much of the tale. A novel is a joint project between writer and reader. My work ended with a series of black squiggles on pulped sheets of wood. Your work was to make of those squiggles people, sights, sounds, and emotions. I look forward to hearing what the novel was for you, and to sharing with you what it has been for me.

I will say something about myself, though. I have lived much of my life in Pakistan and America. I have enormous love for both countries. So I approach this conversation with respect and affection, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Mohsin Hamid

Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from the Author

Thank you so much for venturing out with us. I look forward to your book and our discussions.

KathyH
New User
Laurajeanz
0 Kudos

I was browsing the books at BN, in my small town, NJ. I was really getting desperate, so afraid to buy just any book and end up disappointed, with the read. Of course I went to the store looking for something to read and hours went by. I almost gave up. I almost settled for a magazine. Then I noticed this small table set up with this book, The Reluctant Fundamentalist, all over it stacked in neat little piles.

I do love a great read and this is one of them. It was so candid, drops the veil and gives humanity to a character of whom faith I share by conversion. This is the first read of that nature that gets to the humanity of us all regardless of faith or nation of origin. Also worthy of mention is that this novel broaches a subject with artistic merit, without the political depression, or moral high ground taking, of facts and arguments.

My only disappointment is that I am now searching for something to read again.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Laurajeanz wrote:
I was browsing the books at BN, in my small town, NJ. I was really getting desperate, so afraid to buy just any book and end up disappointed, with the read. Of course I went to the store looking for something to read and hours went by. I almost gave up. I almost settled for a magazine. Then I noticed this small table set up with this book, The Reluctant Fundamentalist, all over it stacked in neat little piles.

I do love a great read and this is one of them. It was so candid, drops the veil and gives humanity to a character of whom faith I share by conversion. This is the first read of that nature that gets to the humanity of us all regardless of faith or nation of origin. Also worthy of mention is that this novel broaches a subject with artistic merit, without the political depression, or moral high ground taking, of facts and arguments.

My only disappointment is that I am now searching for something to read again.

Thanks for posting, Laurajeanz. We would love to hear some of your thoughts to the question posed on the other threads here if you get a chance.
Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

Hi Laura Jean,

Have you read The Plot Against America by Philip Roth? Or Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Laurajeanz wrote:My only disappointment is that I am now searching for something to read again.

Keep searching.....it pays off.....you are a living proof :smileyvery-happy:

ziki
Author
Mohsin_Hamid
0 Kudos

Thank you and farewell!

Hello Everyone,

It seems incredible to me that this book club should be coming to an end. Over the past month, from my home in London and (sometimes barely functioning) internet connections in New Delhi, Mumbai, Amsterdam, and Paris, I have been able to participate in this conversation. It is now time for me to say thank you.

As a writer, I have never had a chance to interact with readers in this way. It is not just that I have been able to respond to questions about my book, but that the questions have been part of an ongoing conversation stretching across weeks and ranging across everything from books I love to my political views to the names of characters I have created.

The questions have at times been challenging and at other times very kind -- and I have appreciated both varieties. Actually, I think appreciated is too weak a word: I have learned from this experience, about readers as well as about writing and about my own novel. So I am grateful to you.

I have always believed that novels are a joint creative project between a writer and a reader. This book club has been the same. So thank you, once again, for being part of it.

And for now, farewell.

Mohsin
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 498 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: