Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Off Topic Completely

bentley wrote:

bentley wrote:

dianearbus wrote:
Bentley:

Do you remember Erato from The Road?

She invited you to join the Cafe. Yes?

Why have you never posted? I am there too.

We just finished Finn by Jon Clinch and Jon participated. It was wonderful. We chat about books and poetry and I rant on about museums...

Lizabeth

I did sign up as she suggested..but then I lost the link..I have to figure out what my id and stuff was. Maybe somebody can send it to me. I don't have my messaging turned on here ..I will open it up tomorrow if somebody wants to send me the info again. I seem to remember you had to wait for a confirmation or something and then I forgot about it. Once I get it again..I will try once more. Too late tonight to fool around with the profile.

Thanks for reminding me..Museums are good so that is ok..I love the Met. There are so many great museums in the Northeast and NYC. And you are going to find some great ones in Italy...you should be leaving soon right..I am sure your trip will be fabulous.

I definately will post once I get the confirmation and remember where everything is.

Both you and Erato should here from me today (reached out again) Sorry, never followed through after I did initially.

Bentley

Successful..talk to all of you soon.

Take care,

Bentley
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: Off Topic

Glad you enjoyed The Road, Bentley, and it's been a treat to be involved in the different kind of exchange that happens when the author is here to take part -- naturally, that allows the moderator to hang back a bit and enjoy the discussion.

Not yet sure what books I'll be returning for, but I hope to be back soon.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Off Topic

PaulH wrote:
Glad you enjoyed The Road, Bentley, and it's been a treat to be involved in the different kind of exchange that happens when the author is here to take part -- naturally, that allows the moderator to hang back a bit and enjoy the discussion.

Not yet sure what books I'll be returning for, but I hope to be back soon.

My answer to the above Paul is sure! Not to let you off the hook so easily, I have now noticed that Ziki's question was now also answered. Thank you for both.

I think you should be more involved as the moderator like you were on The Road. You said yourself that the author was busy. (smile)
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: The best and most complete interview - Tuesday, May 08, 2007

[ Edited ]
For of those of you who have lingering questions, the following article is superb. It is the best and most complete interview that I have seen. Many of the questions that we discussed and had...have been finally answered in this interview.

If you read no other interviews, I would suggest reading this one. The interviewer was detailed beyond belief; and there were no diminishing abbreviations. It doesn't change my view of Changez (the protagonist), but it does give me some solid answers to some of the questions that were posed. Hope it helps.

http://jaiarjun.blogspot.com/2007/05/conversation-with-mohsin-hamid.html

Regards,

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 05-14-200711:05 PM

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:
For of those of you who have lingering questions, the following article is superb. It is the best and most complete interview that I have seen. Many of the questions that we discussed and had...have been finally answered in this interview.

If you read no other interviews, I would suggest reading this one. The interviewer was detailed beyond belief; and there were no diminishing abbreviations. It doesn't change my view of Changez (the protagonist), but it does give me some solid answers to some of the questions that were posed. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Bentley

Thanks for posting this, Bentley.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

bentley wrote:

Regards,

Bentley

Thanks for posting this, Bentley.

PaulH,

Your welcome. I thought it was very complete.

Regards,

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Jhumpa Lahiri

I picked up today a copy of Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. When it was published in 1999 it won the Pulitzer Prize and was the young writer's debut novel.

There are so many wonderful reviews of this book:

The Wall Street Journal stated "that the book captures the out of context lives of immigrants, expatriates and first-generation Americans."

The New York Times says, "Lahiri speaks with eloquence to everyone who has ever felt like a foreigner."

The Village Voice says, "Subtle, scenic tales about people trying to reconcile the traditions they have inherited with baffling new cultures."

Thought this might be another interesting read. She seems to see the experience differently and with zeal:

"While the astronauts, heroes forever, spent mere hours on the moon, I have remained in this new world for nearly thirty years. I know that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination."

Quite stunning actually.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

For all "The Road" fans here, Oprah's interview with Cormac McCarthy will air June 5th.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
For all "The Road" fans here, Oprah's interview with Cormac McCarthy will air June 5th.

It is about time; great. But I am now wondering if it will be more about The Santa Fe Institute. Let us hope not.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

bentley,
I like both books she wrote. There is some discussion about it on the general fiction forum; you might like to check it out. i didn't read the posts but I remember a discussion with her that was very good.

happy reading
ziki
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:
bentley,
I like both books she wrote. There is some discussion about it on the general fiction forum; you might like to check it out. i didn't read the posts but I remember a discussion with her that was very good.

happy reading
ziki

Ziki,

I will check it out when I get a chance. I have read the first two stories: "A Temporary Matter" and "When Mr. Pirzada came to Dine" and thought both were excellent. Decided to sample her writings because of the subject matter, etc.

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

hi bentley; I might have mixed it up, it was rather in new releases forum (due to a paperback coming out).
ziki
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:
hi bentley; I might have mixed it up, it was rather in new releases forum (due to a paperback coming out).
ziki

Thanks for the update

Bentley
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 1,094 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: