Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
Posts: 968
Registered: ‎09-24-2006
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. And let us know what drew you to this book!

New User
mearm18
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi. My name is Mary Anne Dempsey. I am actually a former employee of Mohsin's and was very excited to learn that he has written another book. Moth Smoke is one of my favorites. I have yet to read, The Reluctant Fundamentalist, but have already purchased it and plan to delve into it tonight. Congratulations, Mohsin, on yet another great achievement!!
Frequent Contributor
mildone
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
I had major surgery and was hospitalized for two weeks and the first book I picked up was by Moshin Hamid. I could not put the book down. I read the book in one setting and this told me that I am healing very well and in good health. I shared the book with my grandson, who is presently attending college, and he stayed the whole day just reading the book. He also found the book the book,"The Reluctant Fundamentalist," gripping.
mildone

Message Edited by mildone on 04-27-200711:53 AM

Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
Hi,

Just purchased the book and looking forward to reading it this weekend. I was intrigued by Mohsin's background since I also attended Harvard, with similar legal background "and" was a management consultant. Also spend a lot of time in London with family and friends. I watched the video and that has spurred me on to discovering The Reluctant Fundamentalist.

Not sure how much time I will have to devote to the discussion, but I certainly will be dropping in to look at how other folks interpreted the events, characters and themes of the novel.

Coming from working non stop for a few years on this book and then being propelled into book tours and promotional activities must be a remarkable transition for an author. It must be a real change of pace.

Also a special hello to PaulH.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 04-27-200709:48 PM

New User
Cash296
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi,

THE RELUCTANT FUNDAMENTALIST, one of the best reads I have had in quite a while. I read at least 3 books a week.

When I read the comments from Mr.Hamid I wondered if my book was complete. There were no squiggle marks anywhere in my copy to be filled in. So my imagination had to take over.(Did the American have a silver card holder or a gun? Was the waiter planning something terrible?)

I closed the book and thought to myself, that is definitely a Re-read down the road. I am a senior citizen with poor eyesight and struggled to read this particular book in regular print not Large Print.
Frequent Contributor
x-tempo
Posts: 102
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello! I thoroughly enjoyed the novel so congratulations on the excellent writing. What drew me to it? Well, I think Hanif Kureishi is the only Pakistani author I've read, although he's probably a Londoner by birth. Having just read Kiran Desai's novel, I was intrigued by her back cover blurb which states that this novel explores the distrust between East and West. I also enjoyed Hisham Matar's novel, which, like The Reluctant Fundamentalist, weaves The Thousand and One Nights into the story. The "smile" reminds me of an Orhan Pamuk essay written shortly after Sept. 11 as he was finishing Snow. I wish I could find it on the Internet. I also like to read books from this hemisphere, like the new biography of Ralph Ellison which I picked up this afternoon. Anyway, I look forward to reading all of the author's comments. Thanks.

steve
Frequent Contributor
x-tempo
Posts: 102
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Oh, and the title The Reluctant Fundamentalist piqued my interest. It's kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?

steve
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



bentley wrote:
Hi,

Just purchased the book and looking forward to reading it this weekend. I was intrigued by Mohsin's background since I also attended Harvard, with similar legal background "and" was a management consultant. Also spend a lot of time in London with family and friends. I watched the video and that has spurred me on to discovering The Reluctant Fundamentalist.

Not sure how much time I will have to devote to the discussion, but I certainly will be dropping in to look at how other folks interpreted the events, characters and themes of the novel.

Coming from working non stop for a few years on this book and then being propelled into book tours and promotional activities must be a remarkable transition for an author. It must be a real change of pace.

Also a special hello to PaulH.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 04-27-200709:48 PM






Hello Bentley and everyone else here. This is going to be a thought provoking discussion that I'm really looking forward to.
Reader
melissa52677
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi my name is Melissa. This is my first time joining an online book club, but I'm quite interested to read everybody's thoughts. I'm almost done with the book - a few more chapters this evening, then I can read the messages with spoilers. :smileyhappy:

I majored in Religion at the University of Iowa with an emphasis on Judaism, Christianity & Islam. I have been very interested in religion as culture, and fascinated with the relationship between the Middle East & the West. So as soon as I heard this was the Barnes & Noble Recommends selection, I was intrigued by this book. I look forward to joining the discussion.

Now I'm off to work my shift at my local Barnes & Noble Cafe.
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello!

My name is Kathy and I live in Orange, California. I work at a large church in the Worship and Music Department.

I LOVE to read and I particularly am drawn to books, fact and fiction, that deal with topics with which I'm unfamiliar. We had a wonderful discussion about The Kite Runner and I learned so much. So I'm excited to keep reading, discussing, and learning.

KathyH
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi! My name is Lizabeth and I was drawn to the book by the title and the promise of some very interesting conversations. I just purchased it today and hope to begin reading it tomorrow. I just finished Finn by Jon Clinch and I have to let that settle a bit first. It was very powerful. I also am attracted to forums where the author is present. Hello to Bentley and Paul, both of whom I remember from The Road. Imagine the author being present for that one!!!!

Lizabeth
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Oh and I live in New York City...


Lizabeth
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

dianearbus wrote:
Hi! My name is Lizabeth and I was drawn to the book by the title and the promise of some very interesting conversations. I just purchased it today and hope to begin reading it tomorrow. I just finished Finn by Jon Clinch and I have to let that settle a bit first. It was very powerful. I also am attracted to forums where the author is present. Hello to Bentley and Paul, both of whom I remember from The Road. Imagine the author being present for that one!!!!

Lizabeth




Hello Lizabeth,

Glad you are here too. Yes, wouldn't it have been something to have Cormac with us.

After I decided to have a change of pace, I decided to purchase The Reluctant Fundamentalist. The discomfort level I discovered is high for this book as well; but every bit worthwhile reading. Powerful issues.

And I ran into PaulH who is moderating this bc. He may begin to think we are following him around .

Regards,

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 05-01-200709:48 PM

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



dianearbus wrote:
Hi! My name is Lizabeth and I was drawn to the book by the title and the promise of some very interesting conversations. I just purchased it today and hope to begin reading it tomorrow. I just finished Finn by Jon Clinch and I have to let that settle a bit first. It was very powerful. I also am attracted to forums where the author is present. Hello to Bentley and Paul, both of whom I remember from The Road. Imagine the author being present for that one!!!!

Lizabeth




Hello again, Lizabeth. Did I see you and Bentley on the 4 train this morning. Just kidding :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

PaulH wrote:


dianearbus wrote:
Hi! My name is Lizabeth and I was drawn to the book by the title and the promise of some very interesting conversations. I just purchased it today and hope to begin reading it tomorrow. I just finished Finn by Jon Clinch and I have to let that settle a bit first. It was very powerful. I also am attracted to forums where the author is present. Hello to Bentley and Paul, both of whom I remember from The Road. Imagine the author being present for that one!!!!

Lizabeth




Hello again, Lizabeth. Did I see you and Bentley on the 4 train this morning. Just kidding :smileyhappy:




PaulH,

You never know..(smile) We could all be passing each other and talking on this bc.

Maybe all of us should meet in NYC for an person book discussion since we are obviously all from the same parts. Wine and cheese. Anybody who is a BN book club person just shows up. I guess that is what the book clubs are like on line like a social get together where you can wander around and go from room to room. You can see what kind of party goer I am; I find a comfortable seat (more comfortable the better),preferably by a fire or which has a good view, get a glass of wine and some good company and then I never move. Sort of like the way I am here..I sit for awhile and digest. Just joking but probably true. Maybe BN can have a city social (a meet and greet).

On the more serious side, glad that a few of us are here from The Road.We never got many answers, but we sure had a good time talking about it. And I am still reading McCarthy. May pick up Mohsin's first book when I have a chance. Very interested in Mohsin's input which has been terrific.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 05-02-200704:04 PM

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

You never know..(smile) We could all be passing each other and talking on this bc.

Maybe all of us should meet in NYC for an person book discussion since we are obviously all from the same parts. Wine and cheese. Anybody who is a BN book club person just shows up. I guess that is what the book clubs are like on line like a social get together where you can wander around and go from room to room. You can see what kind of party goer I am; I find a comfortable seat (more comfortable the better),preferably by a fire or which has a good view, get a glass of wine and some good company and then I never move. Sort of like the way I am here..I sit for awhile and digest. Just joking but probably true. Maybe BN can have a city social (a meet and greet).

On the more serious side, glad that a few of us are here from The Road.We never got many answers, but we sure had a good time talking about it. And I am still reading McCarthy. May pick up Mohsin's first book when I have a chance. Very interested in Mohsin's input which has been terrific.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 05-02-200704:04 PM






:smileyhappy: A good time indeed on The Road, Bentley. Stop back over if you get a chance. More posts are a posting, but in the meantime, you're right, Mohsin's input has been terrific and I can't wait for more from him.
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Bentley--

I would love to have that kind of meeting. Sounds wonderful. We could post the time and place on the site and see who shows up. I would post it also on the site of The Road discussion. If B&N is not interested in providing the space, we can find someplace else. Even have a topic of conversation:

The Muslim Fundamentalist Meets the Road?

On the Road with the Muslim Fundamentalist?

Just playing....

BUT...both books deal with serious and relevant topics. Both books give us pause. Can the issues raised in The Muslim Fundamentalist lead to what happened in The Road?

Lizabeth
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



dianearbus wrote:
Bentley--

I would love to have that kind of meeting. Sounds wonderful. We could post the time and place on the site and see who shows up. I would post it also on the site of The Road discussion. If B&N is not interested in providing the space, we can find someplace else. Even have a topic of conversation:

The Muslim Fundamentalist Meets the Road?

On the Road with the Muslim Fundamentalist?

Just playing....

BUT...both books deal with serious and relevant topics. Both books give us pause. Can the issues raised in The Muslim Fundamentalist lead to what happened in The Road?

Lizabeth




Hello Lizabeth,

I was joking at first; because it is altogether possible that all of us have connections here on the site and then just pass each other as strangers on the streets of New York City or even on the number 4 train like PaulH joked.

Why not do what you suggest. Maybe all of us would be surprised. I vote for On the Road with the Muslim Fundamentalist (Changez)..that sounds interesing (lol).

I think when folks think a certain way about people or things...they get what they think. They can build up hatred for peoples they don't even know in the name of national fervor..pretty sad commentary.

Regards,

Bentley
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



PaulH wrote:
You never know..(smile) We could all be passing each other and talking on this bc.

Maybe all of us should meet in NYC for an person book discussion since we are obviously all from the same parts. Wine and cheese. Anybody who is a BN book club person just shows up. I guess that is what the book clubs are like on line like a social get together where you can wander around and go from room to room. You can see what kind of party goer I am; I find a comfortable seat (more comfortable the better),preferably by a fire or which has a good view, get a glass of wine and some good company and then I never move. Sort of like the way I am here..I sit for awhile and digest. Just joking but probably true. Maybe BN can have a city social (a meet and greet).

On the more serious side, glad that a few of us are here from The Road.We never got many answers, but we sure had a good time talking about it. And I am still reading McCarthy. May pick up Mohsin's first book when I have a chance. Very interested in Mohsin's input which has been terrific.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 05-02-200704:04 PM






:smileyhappy: A good time indeed on The Road, Bentley. Stop back over if you get a chance. More posts are a posting, but in the meantime, you're right, Mohsin's input has been terrific and I can't wait for more from him.




Will do and agree wholeheartedly.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself (Lizabeth)


bentley wrote:


dianearbus wrote:
Bentley--

I would love to have that kind of meeting. Sounds wonderful. We could post the time and place on the site and see who shows up. I would post it also on the site of The Road discussion. If B&N is not interested in providing the space, we can find someplace else. Even have a topic of conversation:

The Muslim Fundamentalist Meets the Road?

On the Road with the Muslim Fundamentalist?

Just playing....

BUT...both books deal with serious and relevant topics. Both books give us pause. Can the issues raised in The Muslim Fundamentalist lead to what happened in The Road?

Lizabeth




Hello Lizabeth,

I was joking at first; because it is altogether possible that all of us have connections here on the site and then just pass each other as strangers on the streets of New York City or even on the number 4 train like PaulH joked.

Why not do what you suggest. Maybe all of us would be surprised. I vote for On the Road with the Muslim Fundamentalist (Changez)..that sounds interesing (lol).

I think when folks think a certain way about people or things...they get what they think. They can build up hatred for peoples they don't even know in the name of national fervor..pretty sad commentary.

Regards,

Bentley



Hello Lizabeth,

I will let you post the time and place on the site and if you would like to include The Road readers or anybody else..that is OK with me. Feel free. On type of location may I suggest any of the following: (public place optimal..restaurant, social area in restaurant and/or extended nice sitting area in bar/coffee house open area and/or museum like setting...for example a place where you can get a coffee, glass or wine or whatever while we are Waiting for Godot)....whatever you come up with. We'll see who shows up. Would be like an adventure in Lahore (only transported to NYC but way safer).

Ciao,

Bentley
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 682 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: