Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
tomwatson
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tom. I was primarily drawn to this book by a desire to understand a culture that is completely foreign to me and about which I have yet to reach even a miniscule understanding. Virtually everything we come across these days has political "spin" so we can't rely on much of anything to learn about the Muslim culture. I am hopeful that the mixture of this book, Mr. Hamid's comments and the comments of the other readers will give me a broader, and more accurate, view of a culture so rich in history yet so not understood by me.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Tom
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

tomwatson wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My name is Tom. I was primarily drawn to this book by a desire to understand a culture that is completely foreign to me and about which I have yet to reach even a miniscule understanding. Virtually everything we come across these days has political "spin" so we can't rely on much of anything to learn about the Muslim culture. I am hopeful that the mixture of this book, Mr. Hamid's comments and the comments of the other readers will give me a broader, and more accurate, view of a culture so rich in history yet so not understood by me.

Tom

Glad to have you here, Tom, and we're looking forward to your questions & comments.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
You never know..(smile) We could all be passing each other and talking on this bc.

Maybe all of us should meet in NYC for an person book discussion since we are obviously all from the same parts. Wine and cheese. Anybody who is a BN book club person just shows up. I guess that is what the book clubs are like on line like a social get together where you can wander around and go from room to room. You can see what kind of party goer I am; I find a comfortable seat (more comfortable the better),preferably by a fire or which has a good view, get a glass of wine and some good company and then I never move. Sort of like the way I am here..I sit for awhile and digest. Just joking but probably true. Maybe BN can have a city social (a meet and greet).

On the more serious side, glad that a few of us are here from The Road.We never got many answers, but we sure had a good time talking about it. And I am still reading McCarthy. May pick up Mohsin's first book when I have a chance. Very interested in Mohsin's input which has been terrific.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 05-02-200704:04 PM

:smileyhappy: A good time indeed on The Road, Bentley. Stop back over if you get a chance. More posts are a posting, but in the meantime, you're right, Mohsin's input has been terrific and I can't wait for more from him.

PaulH,

I did as you suggested and I found one poor person still on The Road alone (smile). Their posting made me laugh out loud. I know her feeling. I did post a couple of places to respond (felt bad) but I think they may have already left as well and somebody forgot to turn off the lights. :smileyhappy:

Maybe somebody else will show up! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

liz-road

dianearbus wrote:... The Road. Imagine the author being present for that one!!!!

Lizabeth

very unlikely, you can't get it all, honey :smileywink:

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:Hello again, Lizabeth. Did I see you and Bentley on the 4 train this morning. Just kidding :smileyhappy:

These bookclubs are getting very provincial :smileywink:

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:I find a comfortable seat (more comfortable the better),preferably by a fire or which has a good view, get a glass of wine and some good company and then I never move.

oh bentley, in my opinion you are rather like an effective secretary digging up relevant and irrelevant research material with hyper speed, I do not see you sitting and relaxing by fire :smileyvery-happy:

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote: Mohsin's input has been terrific and I can't wait for more from him.

...and your input?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

drinking tea

tomwatson wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Tom

Reading your post I feel a sadness rising. In a very few brush strokes Mohsin paints a specific atmosphere in the first chapter. The two strangers (that I suspect are not strangers, just two human beings) drink a good tea. A good tea is difficult to find. There so much fear and suspicion in the air as conveyed in just a few sentences and also so many common denominators. And there comes the sadness when I think about the impossibility of two cultures meeting on friendly terms. That tea will simply not be ordered. The why of it is a huge subject.

ziki
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:

PaulH wrote: Mohsin's input has been terrific and I can't wait for more from him.

...and your input?

ziki

I wouldn't want to spoil any of the book until you read further, ziki, but as the threads go deeper into the plot, and the ultimate ending of the book, I do drop a few thoughts of my own. Read on :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself (Spoiler)

PaulH wrote:

ziki wrote:

...and your input?

ziki

I wouldn't want to spoil any of the book until you read further, ziki, but as the threads go deeper into the plot, and the ultimate ending of the book, I do drop a few thoughts of my own. Read on :smileywink:

"Yes you do and very much appreciated" as I enjoy the fact that Friday is finally here..sitting on my couch enjoying a glass of wine; looking over some exciting legal briefs that needed finishing and putting my feet up at last..aaaah...actually enjoying Moth Smoke (I like the story line more I think than TRF). Didn't realize the undercurrent in Pakistani society and classes and didn't realize that anybody drank in Pakistan. Guess I was thinking more of the Muslim faith where I thought made it forbidden. And the drugs wasn't aware of the depths of the problems with that either. While in China realized the long history and drama related to drugs in that country during their history and spent a lot of time in Asia where the problem was prevalent (I think mainly to cover up the despair and the misery). Surprised at the protagonist's use of drugs..and once again the theme of consequences..Too me, it was almost the story of Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit mixed up some of the events which may have been influenced from the Great Gatsby..not the first time that this novel was an inspiration.

PaulH, you must have read Moth Smoke..what were your thoughts?
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ziki wrote:

bentley wrote:I find a comfortable seat (more comfortable the better),preferably by a fire or which has a good view, get a glass of wine and some good company and then I never move.

oh bentley, in my opinion you are rather like an effective secretary digging up relevant and irrelevant research material with hyper speed, I do not see you sitting and relaxing by fire :smileyvery-happy:

ziki

But then you don't know me..more a legal eagle and a fundamentalist myself (financial analysis that is)...maybe irreverent but never irrelevant (smile) :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by bentley on 05-04-200705:52 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

pace of reading and the talks

[ Edited ]
Don't spoil it, speak on the level where I or other readers might be.
It seems like you are willing to discuss only the whole book...it is not a big book to read but there can be a certain value in taking about some things while we read, don't you agree?

I'll read in my own pace, I have a whole month! No need to swallow a book in two hours :smileyvery-happy:
Some books can be savoured and not just gulped down (as if I were bulimic).

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 05-04-200705:25 PM

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

I confess. I haven't read Moth Smoke, Bentley, but it's good to hear that you're enjoying it.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

I confess. I haven't read Moth Smoke, Bentley, but it's good to hear that you're enjoying it.

I am enjoying it. Developed characterizations.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bentley wrote:But then you don't know me..more a legal eagle and a fundamentalist myself (financial analysis that is)...maybe irreverent but never irrelevant (smile) :smileyhappy:

Hi, thanks for your comment. I understand. I reacted to your speed and effectiveness, feeling almost overwhelmed but I just learned an important lesson from you. I actually encounter the same reaction IRL from others when I drive different projects that need to be carried out, no unnecessary rattle. At times it created troubles for me. Hmmm, I'm an inch wiser, I just saw something about myself. :smileyhappy:

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 05-05-200712:13 PM

Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

Bentley writes:

Hello Lizabeth,

I will let you post the time and place on the site and if you would like to include The Road readers or anybody else..that is OK with me. Feel free. On type of location may I suggest any of the following: (public place optimal..restaurant, social area in restaurant and/or extended nice sitting area in bar/coffee house open area and/or museum like setting...for example a place where you can get a coffee, glass or wine or whatever while we are Waiting for Godot)....whatever you come up with. We'll see who shows up. Would be like an adventure in Lahore (only transported to NYC but way safer).

Ciao,

Bentley

My response:

Forgive me for not responding to this post sooner. The time that I am free to meet is probably totally different from most people. Weekday mornings are my only free time and the only place I thought might be okay is the cafeteria of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Because there is no waiter service, we could hang out for a while without interference.

Since my availability would probably pose problems for most people, I did the next best thing. I decided not to think about...In addition, I have been fighting a cold, taking medication that is making me irritable and etc......and preparing for a trip to Italy next Sunday.

Lizabeth
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

dianearbus wrote:
Bentley writes:

Hello Lizabeth,

I will let you post the time and place on the site and if you would like to include The Road readers or anybody else..that is OK with me. Feel free. On type of location may I suggest any of the following: (public place optimal..restaurant, social area in restaurant and/or extended nice sitting area in bar/coffee house open area and/or museum like setting...for example a place where you can get a coffee, glass or wine or whatever while we are Waiting for Godot)....whatever you come up with. We'll see who shows up. Would be like an adventure in Lahore (only transported to NYC but way safer).

Ciao,

Bentley

My response:

Forgive me for not responding to this post sooner. The time that I am free to meet is probably totally different from most people. Weekday mornings are my only free time and the only place I thought might be okay is the cafeteria of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Because there is no waiter service, we could hang out for a while without interference.

Since my availability would probably pose problems for most people, I did the next best thing. I decided not to think about...In addition, I have been fighting a cold, taking medication that is making me irritable and etc......and preparing for a trip to Italy next Sunday.

Lizabeth

I know the cold well...sorry you have it. It takes awhile but does go away like all things. Don't think about anything except your splendid trip.
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Have just read this board. Very insightful. Want to ask a question, so hope Mohsin Hamid is still following what is here.

I was one of those who read The Reluctant Fundamentalist because B&N offered a 40% discount right after publication. I am glad for the decision and hope the marketing ploy toward readership and sales has been successful for both Hamid and B&N.

Personally, I have never shared a single book with so many people, so I have helped readership, but, if sales, only indirectly.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:
Have just read this board. Very insightful. Want to ask a question, so hope Mohsin Hamid is still following what is here.

I was one of those who read The Reluctant Fundamentalist because B&N offered a 40% discount right after publication. I am glad for the decision and hope the marketing ploy toward readership and sales has been successful for both Hamid and B&N.

Personally, I have never shared a single book with so many people, so I have helped readership, but, if sales, only indirectly.

Welcome to the board, Peppermill. Mohsin's book is certainly one to be passed along and along.
Users Online
Currently online: 72 members 752 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: