Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Star Wars themes

Curious as to how readers felt about the Star Wars themes and quotes. Sensed America was depicted as the evil meddling empire and as being insufferable in its opinionated dogmatism, etc. And Wainwright with his comment: Beware of the dark side.

What images did this conjure up for you? Any interpretations or feelings about these themes or portrayals? I know how I felt about them; but wondered if I was alone.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Star Wars themes

bentley wrote:
Curious as to how readers felt about the Star Wars themes and quotes. Sensed America was depicted as the evil meddling empire and as being insufferable in its opinionated dogmatism, etc. And Wainwright with his comment: Beware of the dark side.

What images did this conjure up for you? Any interpretations or feelings about these themes or portrayals? I know how I felt about them; but wondered if I was alone.

Is it possibly a spoof on the deployment of a missile defense shield (the so-called Star Wars project). Not sure about the connection with that title..but there were plenty of analogies. More of a question?
Frequent Contributor
x-tempo
0 Kudos

Yes, that's very good, but I think you missed a couple.

When Jim tells Changez "You can ask me anything you need to know -- think Twenty Questions -- and you can do your calculations with that pencil and paper. Ready?" it's an obvious allusion to President Bush's reply to WHDH-TV political reporter Andy Hiller, who, during the 2000 presidential campaign inquired about Gen. Pervez Musharraf: "Can you name the general who is in charge of Pakistan?" To which Pres. Bush replied (and I quote) "Wait, wait, is this Fifty Questions?"

You also seem to have missed this statement of Jim's: "I'm going to throw you a curve ball. You're going to need to get creative here," a thinly-veiled reference to the Iraqi cabdriver code name "Curveball," who was the Bush administration's chief source on Saddam Hussein's alleged weapons of mass destruction. (You can't make this stuff up!)

And finally, you missed the "little shrub" on p. 121.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

x-tempo wrote:
Yes, that's very good, but I think you missed a couple.

When Jim tells Changez "You can ask me anything you need to know -- think Twenty Questions -- and you can do your calculations with that pencil and paper. Ready?" it's an obvious allusion to President Bush's reply to WHDH-TV political reporter Andy Hiller, who, during the 2000 presidential campaign inquired about Gen. Pervez Musharraf: "Can you name the general who is in charge of Pakistan?" To which Pres. Bush replied (and I quote) "Wait, wait, is this Fifty Questions?"

You also seem to have missed this statement of Jim's: "I'm going to throw you a curve ball. You're going to need to get creative here," a thinly-veiled reference to the Iraqi cabdriver code name "Curveball," who was the Bush administration's chief source on Saddam Hussein's alleged weapons of mass destruction. (You can't make this stuff up!)

And finally, you missed the "little shrub" on p. 121.

I know x-tempo..I wanted to know if I was the only one seeing these things..I thought no it can't be..and then I thought again. Thank you for pointing out others. I have to admit I missed Curveball...smile I have to admit I thought that it could not be.
Frequent Contributor
x-tempo
0 Kudos

Bentley, When the reporter quizzed George Bush on world leaders (I think it was in Nov. 1999) he replied that he thought General Pervez Musharraf was bringing "stability to the subcontinent." It seemed like an odd thing to say because only a month earlier Musharraf had taken power in a military coup, overthrowing the democratically-elected leader of a country with nuclear weapons. And India had recently tested their own bomb. Bill Clinton called the coup a step backwards for democracy, and I believe he was the one who had intervened with then-president Nawar Sharif to restrain General Musharraf's incursion into Kashmir. In any event, both Pakistan and India were under sanctions by the U.S.

I know Mohsin supports Pervez Musharraf with reservations. I borrowed Gen. Musharraf's ghosted biography titled after a Dirty Harry movie, and I'd like to read at least a chapter or two.

steve
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

x-tempo wrote:
Bentley, When the reporter quizzed George Bush on world leaders (I think it was in Nov. 1999) he replied that he thought General Pervez Musharraf was bringing "stability to the subcontinent." It seemed like an odd thing to say because only a month earlier Musharraf had taken power in a military coup, overthrowing the democratically-elected leader of a country with nuclear weapons. And India had recently tested their own bomb. Bill Clinton called the coup a step backwards for democracy, and I believe he was the one who had intervened with then-president Nawar Sharif to restrain General Musharraf's incursion into Kashmir. In any event, both Pakistan and India were under sanctions by the U.S.

I know Mohsin supports Pervez Musharraf with reservations. I borrowed Gen. Musharraf's ghosted biography titled after a Dirty Harry movie, and I'd like to read at least a chapter or two.

steve

I think Mohsin describes Musharraf as a cheetah. See Mohsin's website. I would love to hear what your take is on the biography if you get a chance.

And I don't think you ever heard that I had great pride in our leadership or that there were unforgettable quotes. Most of them I find I would like to forget. I have been very upset for our country for almost seven years and love it very much but am worried. Our policies around the world just make me shake my head in disbelief. With each new day, I wonder how we can extricate ourselves or improve any of these situations not just for us but for others as well.

Despite the escapades of Clinton, I felt that he had a grasp of the world and its relationships and fostered some good will. I think he was right and was a very bright man. I just would like to stay away from discussing our present leadership..it just doesn't do any good.
Frequent Contributor
x-tempo
0 Kudos

Bently, Yes, I read Mohsin's review in The Independent in which he calls him a "cheetah."

steve
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

x-tempo wrote:
Bently, Yes, I read Mohsin's review in The Independent in which he calls him a "cheetah."

steve

And did you agree, disagree...what was your take?
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 808 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: