Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

First Impressions

Use this thread to discuss your first impressions of the book, especially if this is your first time reading it. Do you dis/agree with others' impressions?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
GrandmaJean
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

I'm having a hard time reading it because of the sentence structure.  I find myself rereading lines to make sense of them or just reading on to get a sense of what's being said.  I don't like Defoe leaving out names and simply putting in a blank because the name may have been referred to a living important person of the time.  He could have made up a name.  What about making disclaimers?  Wasn't that a product of the times or did that come later?

Moll doesn't call people by their names but just as a relation or an acquaitance.

I have no one to agree or disagree with yet.:smileyindifferent:
Grandma Jean
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hi, GrandmaJean--

On the matter of the blanks where names could go--Defoe is mimicking a convention of the time.  He's pretending that Moll is leaving out the names of the "innocent," when in actuality, her entire story--including the names of characters "she" leaves out, "famous" or not--is fiction.

Hope this helps!

~ConnieK 

GrandmaJean wrote:
I'm having a hard time reading it because of the sentence structure.  I find myself rereading lines to make sense of them or just reading on to get a sense of what's being said.  I don't like Defoe leaving out names and simply putting in a blank because the name may have been referred to a living important person of the time.  He could have made up a name.  What about making disclaimers?  Wasn't that a product of the times or did that come later?

Moll doesn't call people by their names but just as a relation or an acquaitance.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
GrandmaJean
0 Kudos

I do understand what Defoe is doing as it was explained in a footnote, but it would be nice to have a name to keep things straight or to refer to mentally.  Thanks!

ConnieK wrote:
Hi, GrandmaJean--

On the matter of the blanks where names could go--Defoe is mimicking a convention of the time.  He's pretending that Moll is leaving out the names of the "innocent," when in actuality, her entire story--including the names of characters "she" leaves out, "famous" or not--is fiction.

Hope this helps!

~ConnieK 

GrandmaJean wrote:

Grandma Jean
New User
Dinkie32
0 Kudos

Hello, GrandmaJean and everyone!

It might be easier if you could find an "Unabridged" Audio Book version of Defoe's Moll Flanders and listen to it first and then maybe go back and read the book? Just a suggestion. I'm going to follow my own advice and head over to the public library and secure the unabridged audio book version of this book.

I've done this(audio books) for the reading of Jane Eyre and Fingersmith, I find my attention span lasts longer if I am kept engaged in the sound of the narrators voice. If I simply read from page to page, unless the plot line or story is extremely interesting I tend to wonder off the path and skip around hoping to find a character or plot point to compel me to read on further. That's just sloppy reading I know but, that's what it takes for me to finish what I start.

I just joined this book discussion today and hope that I can keep up with the threads!
I look forward to reading and listening to this book.
I am a product of my generation and listen to most books instead of physically reading, but in some instances I will do both simultaneously.

I prefer the old Barnes and Noble version (back when it was called Barnes and Noble University!

It's annoying to me having to locate the correct folder and then read most if not ALL of the previous threads in order to feel engaged in the subject or topic of discussion!

Will there be discussion questions for this reading?? 
How about a new folder: "Thread Reading 101??"  Ha!

Frequent Contributor
GrandmaJean
0 Kudos

Dinkie!  Welcome and I do like your idea but I just didn't think it would be on an audio book so I didn't try..  I do like doing audio books too especially when I am outside working in the yard or just house cleaning.  I especially like doing audio books for those I know are going to be hard to get through without mind wandering ex. You on a Diet....so much technical stuff.  I bet I've listened to it 3 times because it's easy to wander on audio.  I download them to my i-pod.  My son told me how to keep the discs in order, something Itunes does a lousy job of.

And no I don't think you are too late.  It's slow going.:smileyindifferent:  I too did the B&N University, but I like the new version and especially the message posting which is a newer version.  B&N does have a lot more book clubs going on now so one does have to "search" a bit more.  Bookmark favorites helps.

Dinkie32 wrote:

It might be easier if you could find an "Unabridged" Audio Book version of Defoe's Moll Flanders and listen to it first and then maybe go back and read the book? Just a suggestion. I'm going to follow my own advice and head over to the public library and secure the unabridged audio book version of this book.

I've done this(audio books) for the reading of Jane Eyre and Fingersmith, I find my attention span lasts longer if I am kept engaged in the sound of the narrators voice. If I simply read from page to page, unless the plot line or story is extremely interesting I tend to wonder off the path and skip around hoping to find a character or plot point to compel me to read on further. That's just sloppy reading I know but, that's what it takes for me to finish what I start.

I just joined this book discussion today and hope that I can keep up with the threads!
I am a product of my generation and listen to most books instead of physically reading, but in some instances I will do both simultaneously.

I prefer the old Barnes and Noble version (back when it was called Barnes and Noble University!

It's annoying to me having to locate the correct folder and then read most if not ALL of the previous threads in order to feel engaged in the subject or topic of discussion!

Grandma Jean
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Dinkie!  Like anything, the new format takes awhile to get used to, but it works out ok when you do!  Let me know if you have any questions.  There is a "PM" (private message) feature on this board that was not on BNU.

~ConnieK

Dinkie32 wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
readerz
0 Kudos

I agree that the writing style can be a challenge at times, but it forces me to slow down and think more about what I'm reading as I'm reading it.

It's interesting to see that some of the same issues raised in a book written in 1722 are still relevant today--the roles of men and women in society, money, relationships, basic rights, etc.
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 202 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: