Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group!

Have you read Moll Flanders before? If so, what did you like the most about it (careful not to give away any spoilers)?

If not, what has inspired you to read it this time?

And what about other Defoe books? Many of you may have read Robinson Crusoe (or a watered-down version of it) as a child. How do his other books compare to this one?
New User
ajmarkle
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi! My name is Angela - I'm surprised to see there haven't been more responses here so far! I took an entire course on Robinson Crusoe a few years ago in college and started to read Moll Flanders just for fun but never finished it. Perhaps this will be the perfect opportunity to finally do so!

What I love most about Defoe's writing is the exquisite attention to detail, both of scene and character, that brings his stories to life. In fact, Moll Flanders closely mimics morality stories based on true accounts, so Defoe is playing with the line between fiction and reality. He also clearly enjoys the picaresque sort of anti-hero, and challenges the narrator to reconcile her differing perceptions of the of protagonist.

And just to throw something else into the mix, if anyone has read any J.M. Coetzee (a Nobel Prize-winning novelist), he wrote a book called Foe in which he pulls Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe, and a somewhat Moll-esque woman together into one metafictive novel. It's a very good read, especially if you have any interest in Defoe's life and works.
New User
Gypsy33
0 Kudos

Hi...I am an avid reader, but have never read any Defoe. This book has been on my to-do list for years. Seeing this discussion group, I thought it was the perfect opportunity.
New User
Belina
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group!

Have you read Moll Flanders before? If so, what did you like the most about it (careful not to give away any spoilers)?

If not, what has inspired you to read it this time?

And what about other Defoe books? Many of you may have read Robinson Crusoe (or a watered-down version of it) as a child. How do his other books compare to this one?

Read Moll Flander many moons ago -- an early feminist! Loved the BBC video version with Alex Kingston... looking forward to a lusty, lively discussion. I always forget Defoe wrote other novels, looking forward to Angela's take on Dafoe since she recently took a course on him..Speak next week -- Belina i.e Joanne
New User
obx4me
0 Kudos

Hi! I recently completed my M.A. in English (Rhetoric & Composition) and as part of my graduate work, I read Moll Flanders and did an oral presentation on it. I confess to having read it very quickly, since were assigned a novel a week in the class I was taking (and I was taking other classes, as well), so I'm looking forward to a more leisurely appreciation of Defoe's work this time around. I also plan to read Robinson Crusoe for the first time.

Looking forward to the discussion.

~Tamara
New User
Monqiue
0 Kudos

I must admit that I have not had the time to read Moll Flanders or Robinson Crusoe yet, the only two Defoe books I own, but I see this as my opportunity to delve into one of the books finally. I am 21 years old and I am a Black female college student at Roosevelt University in Chicago, Illinois. My major is English and Secondary Education and Reading is my passion.
New User
Rob1150
0 Kudos

Hello all.

My name is Rob, I am a 33 yo Computer Science Major at the Ohio State University. I remember watching the BBC showing of Moll Flanders on Masterpiece Theatre, and I had been wanting to read the book, I guess this will give me a kick in the butt to actually do it.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Angela! I hope you enjoy the book club. Thanks for the book recommendation!

~ConnieK

ajmarkle wrote:
Hi! My name is Angela - I'm surprised to see there haven't been more responses here so far! I took an entire course on Robinson Crusoe a few years ago in college and started to read Moll Flanders just for fun but never finished it. Perhaps this will be the perfect opportunity to finally do so!

What I love most about Defoe's writing is the exquisite attention to detail, both of scene and character, that brings his stories to life. In fact, Moll Flanders closely mimics morality stories based on true accounts, so Defoe is playing with the line between fiction and reality. He also clearly enjoys the picaresque sort of anti-hero, and challenges the narrator to reconcile her differing perceptions of the of protagonist.

And just to throw something else into the mix, if anyone has read any J.M. Coetzee (a Nobel Prize-winning novelist), he wrote a book called Foe in which he pulls Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe, and a somewhat Moll-esque woman together into one metafictive novel. It's a very good read, especially if you have any interest in Defoe's life and works.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Gypsy!

The book clubs are always a good excuse to read, aren't they? I hope you enjoy this one!

~ConnieK

Gypsy33 wrote:
Hi...I am an avid reader, but have never read any Defoe. This book has been on my to-do list for years. Seeing this discussion group, I thought it was the perfect opportunity.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Belina! Hope you get the "lusty, lively discussion" you're looking for, here!

~ConnieK

Belina wrote:
Read Moll Flander many moons ago -- an early feminist! Loved the BBC video version with Alex Kingston... looking forward to a lusty, lively discussion. I always forget Defoe wrote other novels, looking forward to Angela's take on Dafoe since she recently took a course on him..Speak next week -- Belina i.e Joanne

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, obx4me! I hope you and Angela will feel free to jump in and share your knowledge.

~ConnieK

obx4me wrote:
Hi! I recently completed my M.A. in English (Rhetoric & Composition) and as part of my graduate work, I read Moll Flanders and did an oral presentation on it. I confess to having read it very quickly, since were assigned a novel a week in the class I was taking (and I was taking other classes, as well), so I'm looking forward to a more leisurely appreciation of Defoe's work this time around. I also plan to read Robinson Crusoe for the first time.

Looking forward to the discussion.

~Tamara

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Monique! I know what you mean about having so many books on your "to do" list. English majors have so many they have to read, it seems like there is always a "gap" somewhere! I hope you enjoy the discussions of this one.

~ConnieK

Monqiue wrote:
I must admit that I have not had the time to read Moll Flanders or Robinson Crusoe yet, the only two Defoe books I own, but I see this as my opportunity to delve into one of the books finally. I am 21 years old and I am a Black female college student at Roosevelt University in Chicago, Illinois. My major is English and Secondary Education and Reading is my passion.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Rob! Great to hear you're in college. I went the long way around myself, and I've never regretted the long haul--it's worth it. Enjoy our discussions!

~ConnieK

Rob1150 wrote:
Hello all.

My name is Rob, I am a 33 yo Computer Science Major at the Ohio State University. I remember watching the BBC showing of Moll Flanders on Masterpiece Theatre, and I had been wanting to read the book, I guess this will give me a kick in the butt to actually do it.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was a Eng. Lit Major in College but never got around to readig any Defoe. This looks like a good group so far... Anyway... I am a almost 30 year old accountant for a major Hospital in The Bronx, NY. I have 2 amazing children 4 and 9 months and a wonderful husband. Can not wait to start this book right after I finish one other in a day or so... Happy to meet all of you.....
Reader
roadbike
0 Kudos

Greetings. My name is Jeff. I have not read Moll Flanders before but I read Defoe's Robinson Crusoe last year and A Journal of the Plague Year several years ago. I elected to read Moll Flanders because I like Defoe a lot and I have never participated in a reading group either in person or online so this seemed to be a good opportunity. I look forward to it.
Frequent Contributor
GrandmaJean
0 Kudos

Grandma Jean trying another computer to see if it's my computer or all the Norton security that keeps me from posting anything. I can't send a question to the help desk if I can't post anything. I do want to do this book.
Grandma Jean
Frequent Contributor
GrandmaJean
0 Kudos

Great Grandma Jean posted. I guess I'll have to use this computer for this book. I like anything that takes place in England. I haven't done a book on line since Bleak House, Phillipa Gregory's book The Boleyn Inheritance, Thirteenth Tale and Silent in the Grave. All of these were great books. I feel I missed a lot of classics in my youth and am trying to make up for it.
Grandma Jean
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Kourt! You don't need to be an English major to join in the Book Clubs (I'm saying this for the benefit of others who might be seeing several English majors here and wonder about that). Glad to have you!

~ConnieK

Kourt wrote:
Hi All,

I was a Eng. Lit Major in College but never got around to readig any Defoe. This looks like a good group so far... Anyway... I am a almost 30 year old accountant for a major Hospital in The Bronx, NY. I have 2 amazing children 4 and 9 months and a wonderful husband. Can not wait to start this book right after I finish one other in a day or so... Happy to meet all of you.....

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jeff! The fun part of book clubs is that there are no grades, and if you are not quite as far in the book as others, you aren't penalized in any way! You might want to stay away from threads "below the line" on the page to avoid spoilers, though, if you don't want to know the end of the book before you get there yourself.

Glad you've read other Defoe books!

~ConnieK

roadbike wrote:
Greetings. My name is Jeff. I have not read Moll Flanders before but I read Defoe's Robinson Crusoe last year and A Journal of the Plague Year several years ago. I elected to read Moll Flanders because I like Defoe a lot and I have never participated in a reading group either in person or online so this seemed to be a good opportunity. I look forward to it.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome "Grandma Jean!" Your posts look fine from here, so hopefully whatever glitches you may have experienced before are not interfering with your enjoyment this time!

~ConnieK

GrandmaJean wrote:
Grandma Jean trying another computer to see if it's my computer or all the Norton security that keeps me from posting anything. I can't send a question to the help desk if I can't post anything. I do want to do this book.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 591 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: