Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

In February: Linda Gale on Discover What You're Best At

[ Edited ]
Join author Linda Gale to Discover What You're Best At

If you're reading this, you want to know what you are capable of doing before you decide where you are going with your career. And you're not alone. The employed as well as the unemployed ask, "Is it time for a change? Do I want to run my own business after years of working for someone else? Do I love my job? Do I wake up in the morning feeling invigorated and inspired?"

If these are the kinds of questions you're asking yourself, you've come to the right place. This book will lead you on a journey of self-discovery using the techniques made famous by Barry Gale, a leader in the field of vocational and career training. Gale spent years testing individuals from Maine to Hawaii, analyzing the data from his research, and using his findings to develop his original career-aptitude evaluation system, the National Career Aptitude System (NCAS). Linda Gale's book, Discover What You're Best At, an instant bestseller, has helped untold numbers of people determine their ideal career paths by taking the NCAS tests and analyzing their results. Discover What You're Best At goes beyond traditional career publications; it helps people turn worthy experiences into salable skills and pursue careers by careful choice.

Many people want to find another job or restart a career -- even switch careers -- and the choice you make is guaranteed to change your life. It must, because you're likely to spend 80,000 hours of your life on the job, and those hours should be happy. You want them to be productive and satisfying. The process begins when you learn the two major cornerstones of proper career decision-making. First, you need accurate knowledge of yourself. This includes identifying your goals, aptitudes, weaknesses, and any challenges or obstacles you may face, both professionally and personally. Second, you need a working knowledge of the careers you're considering. Do you know that a large majority of people working today are dissatisfied with their jobs? That's why we believe that when it comes to careers, most people leap before they look! The goal is to help you to avoid making that same mistake and to help you choose a satisfying career.

Message Edited by Jessica on 03-30-2007 10:36 AM

Frequent Contributor
emily_card
0 Kudos

Re: Coming in February: Linda Gale on Discover What You're Best At

Yes, I have the book and it looks as if it will be great for anyone with concerns about career. Order it now! See you in February.

Best,

Emily Card
New User
Delicia
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

I am very excited about participating in the threaded discussion. I have already purchased the book and completed the tests. I already have some questions...I'll wait until the class start. Thanks.
New User
KellyP
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just got the book and haven't even looked through it yet as I wwanted to make sure I was able to register. I look forward to participating. I guess I better get started reading and talking the tests.

Kelly
Kelly
Author
LindaGale
0 Kudos

Hi Kelly Possero:

I Look Forward To Hear From You After Completing The National Career Aptitude Test.

Best,

Linda Gale
New User
Lash_LaRue
0 Kudos

To Linda Gale

RE: Discover What You're Best At I have a question and a comment. Question: I could swear I took this same test in 1977. Was it around back then, or is it similar to another? Comment: I can only remember the first and third careers suggested by the test I took in 1977 - engineer and medicine of some kind. I had low scores in business and social. After bouncing around in low paying jobs, I became an accountant. I took the test from your book recently hoping for some insight into a new direction. Unfortunately, the results said i should become a CPA (what I am now). I was a bit disappointed by that result. I scored much better in what I've been working at (which were my weaknesses) and less well in a strength (skills) that has atrophied. My conclusion is that you cannot separate native aptitude from acquired skill, at least in these tests.
Author
LindaGale
0 Kudos

Dear Lash LaRue:

Lash_LaRue wrote:
RE: Discover What You're Best At I have a question and a comment. Question: I could swear I took this same test in 1977. Was it around back then, or is it similar to another?

Discover What You're Best At was published by Simon and Schuster in 1982.
It is still on automatic in bookstores and has sold one million copies in the consumer book store marketplace. There is nothing like it - today nor back then in 1977.

Comment: I can only remember the first and third careers suggested by the test I took in 1977 - engineer and medicine of some kind. I had low scores in business and social. After bouncing around in low paying jobs, I became an accountant. I took the test from your book recently hoping for some insight into a new direction.

Unfortunately, the results said i should become a CPA (what I am now). I was a bit disappointed by that result.

Sorry to hear you feel this way about your results, Lash. When instead you should be proud of yourself that results verified that you are in a career area which utilizes your strengths though I understand you could be bored being an accountant by now and looking for other careers that utilize your capabilities. By the way you did not mention what were your scores on The Nastional Career Aptitude Test that you recently took in my book Discover What You're Best At? And did you go through the entire career cluster system with your results. If so, surely you would have come up with another related or two or three career choices to seriously think about.

I scored much better in what I've been working at (which were my weaknesses)
what are your weaknessess and what are your strenghts according to test results after taking The National Career Aptitude Test?

Do get back to me. Best, Linda Gale
and less well in a strength (skills) that has atrophied. My conclusion is that you cannot separate native aptitude from acquired skill, at least in these tests.

New User
Lash_LaRue
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Lash LaRue:

scores were:
B 46 very superior
C 70 superior
L 50 very superior
M 36 well above average
N 38 superior
S 40 well above average

no, i did not go through the BCL and BLN clusters in great detail. but i will have another look.
Frequent Contributor
emily_card
0 Kudos

Dear Lash,

I agree with Gale that you obviously chose a career that has worked at some level for you.

But, if you are ready for a change (and who isn't at times?), why not use the tests to see new possibilities?

Best,

Emily
Author
LindaGale
0 Kudos

Lash_LaRue wrote:
scores were:
B 46 very superior
C 70 superior
L 50 very superior
M 36 well above average
N 38 superior
S 40 well above average

Dear Lash: Thanks for responding so promptly. No doubt you scored very well. You should be proud of yourself. Let's talk after you go through the BCL and BLN clusters. Best, Linda

no, i did not go through the BCL and BLN clusters in great detail. but i will have another look.

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 282 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: