Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Investing: Women & Men

Read "A Final Note about Women and Investing" on pages 174-178 of The Net Worth Workout.

Were you surprised at any of the statistics in this section? Do (or will) any of the situations described here affect your investments (ex: divorce, recently married, out of the work force, etc...)?

If you're a woman, can you identify with the investment style Susan describes?

Discuss your investment style, in general. Is is similar or different to others in your family?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Frequent Contributor
emily_card
0 Kudos

Re: Investing: Women & Men

In the past, I taught the BNU course Women and Money Management. Many women did have issues which were different than their spouses' or partners. Let's get our thinking caps on and put our queries here.

Emily
Author
SueFeitelberg
0 Kudos

Hi

How many of you co-ordinate with your spouse your 401K, IRA choices? There was an interesting study by the Boston College Center for Retirement Research that found most don't at all. Why do you think that is? How do you approach investment decisions with your spouse or significant other?
Frequent Contributor
emily_card
0 Kudos

Hi, Although we have moved from the topic of investing, anyone may post here and I will answer--or try to! Thanks.

Emily
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Yesterday I read an article (dated December 2006) which said that the women in The Netherlands have better results than men and the difference was bigger than the study they compared it with (not sure if that was the USA or the world numbers).
I am single now and since there are no Princes knocking down my door, I am not thinking too much about these differences. But the article said, men do more trades than women and that is one of the reasons women do better. I take note of that and check how I am doing on that scale.
I also learned that my current broker has relatively high fees compared to a few others. But this is the only one who offer 750+ funds to choose from. Since my current investment style does not involve doing many trades, I think I will stay put.

One thing that I wish were easier, how to evaluate how I am doing. Money goes in, money goes out, value goes up and down. But the deposits and withdrawals make it complicated because it is not a case of comparing December 31 to January 1st.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
emily_card
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
Yesterday I read an article (dated December 2006) which said that the women in The Netherlands have better results than men and the difference was bigger than the study they compared it with (not sure if that was the USA or the world numbers).
I am single now and since there are no Princes knocking down my door, I am not thinking too much about these differences. But the article said, men do more trades than women and that is one of the reasons women do better. I take note of that and check how I am doing on that scale.
I also learned that my current broker has relatively high fees compared to a few others. But this is the only one who offer 750+ funds to choose from. Since my current investment style does not involve doing many trades, I think I will stay put.

One thing that I wish were easier, how to evaluate how I am doing. Money goes in, money goes out, value goes up and down. But the deposits and withdrawals make it complicated because it is not a case of comparing December 31 to January 1st.

Caroline

Dear Caroline,

Thanks for your comments.

I do believe men tend to "churn" their stocks more, as suggested in your study. But, then what's new? We know that men tend to churn women more as well? Anyway, that's the stereotype.

Seriously, also in certain European countries, women do enjoy more equality which does lead to more serious opportunities for investment.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Best,

Emily
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Thank you Emily, I am happy to report that my broker just posted they won't be charging fees anymore. So I can buy and sell my shares in mutual funds to my hearts content.

The markets keep on changing, now with the free information from the internet, it becomes harder to keep your clients! I am happy with the change but I won't adjust my investment policy to more buying and selling. I just sold most of my portfolio, cashing in on the profit, and put them into savings. The recent price fluctuations made me too uneasy.
I still have faith in the market but I am now only investing what I am sure I won't be spending in the next five years. Every once in a while, it is a good thing to take a closer look at the short / medium / long term goals.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

Hi - I just started my own business - self-employed. I don't have a 401 K but saw somebody on cnbc saying that there are 401 K for the self-employed. Anybody knows about that?
Also, I'm very interested in investing in the stock market. I've been following some stocks for a while in healthcare and also maritime transports and I would like to invest in them. I think China will succeed in cooling down their economy and then money will go to the US. What moves markets up are the speculators, not the fundamentals. The fundamentals move markets down (reality check).
I live in a state that has no income tax. Do I pay only 15 % on stock gains?
TIA.
Contributor
successinwords
0 Kudos

Investing, if done correctly, should continue to bring in a positive cashflow despite your circumstances. Your money should be working hard for you. I to am an investor and have found ways to make my money work hard for me in real estate, network marketing and a few paper assets. Networking is a great way to get your money working for you 24/7. I found a great opportunity in a company who actually pays you to read good literature. Books you want to purchase are done so at a fraction of the cost. Its a no hype, come and go as you please win win situation. AT any rate, with a little knowledge, you can be financially free in any circumstance!
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

successinwords wrote:
Investing, if done correctly, should continue to bring in a positive cashflow despite your circumstances. Your money should be working hard for you. I to am an investor and have found ways to make my money work hard for me in real estate, network marketing and a few paper assets. Networking is a great way to get your money working for you 24/7. I found a great opportunity in a company who actually pays you to read good literature. Books you want to purchase are done so at a fraction of the cost. Its a no hype, come and go as you please win win situation. AT any rate, with a little knowledge, you can be financially free in any circumstance!

Whis is the company that pays you to read good literature? I love to read.
TIA
Contributor
successinwords
0 Kudos

klavinm

The company is called bookwise. If you want to know more, go to winninginthemargins.com and enter my passkey 107739 and Richard Paul Evans (Author of The Christmas Box and founder of bookwise) will give you a presentation of the company. If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me at mclarsen71@yahoo.com. There are some amazing things going on in this company!
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

successinwords wrote:
klavinm

The company is called bookwise. If you want to know more, go to winninginthemargins.com and enter my passkey 107739 and Richard Paul Evans (Author of The Christmas Box and founder of bookwise) will give you a presentation of the company. If you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me at mclarsen71@yahoo.com. There are some amazing things going on in this company!

Thanks. My audio is not working, but the presentation was very interesting.
New User
Sirwade
0 Kudos

successinwords wrote:
klavinm

Bookwise sounds like and interesting company I will have to check it out.
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 738 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: