Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Questions for Skip McGrath

Do you have a question for Skip, not related to any of the discussion topics? Reply to this message to start the conversation.
Contributor
johnbull22
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Skip McGrath

Hi Skip-while I'm waiting for the book to arrive I do have a question.I'm finding that my lack of computer knowledge could be limiting my ability to sell better.I've never had any classes and my computer has Windows 98.What do you suggest I do for further knowledge and what do I need to know that will help in my listings and maybe help me progress to the business level?Right now I'm just selling items I have at home to declutter-but also to gain experience.Thanks
Author
SkipMcGrath
0 Kudos

Hi Johnbull:

Well first of all you are doing the right thing. I always recommend starting out by selling things around the house to get some experience. As for computer knowledge, you don't really need that much to work on eBay. The platform is web based and it has an HTML editor so you really just have to follow the instructions. I always recommend getting a high speed interconnection like DSL or cable because you don't want to spend forever waiting for pages to download. Once you start selling on eBay you will find that time really is money and you want to do everything you can to save time.

If you do decide to upgrade to a new computer you might want to look at the new Apple computers. They are reliable and fast and much easier to use than a PC and the new Macs can run any of the PC based programs now. We have both Macs and PCs and find ourselves gravitating to the Mac more and more.

Good luck on eBay
Skip McGrath
Skip McGrath
Author and publisher of The eBay Seller's News
Subscribe at http://www.skipmcgrath.com
Contributor
johnbull22
0 Kudos

Thanks Skip-I do find listing and researching is very time consuming.As far as the HTML-I am stumped.I also am not very good at keeping records.At times I feel I am losing more than gaining.Thanks for the help.
Frequent Contributor
emily_card
0 Kudos

Re: What steps did you complete this week?

[ Edited ]
Hi Readers,

Have you gone through the beginning steps for the first week? How did they work?

1. Register your eBay Account and sign up for a PayPal business account.

2. Buy something on eBay for experience

etc. See page 27 of the book.

Personally, I am still on steps (1) and (2) but that's okay because I have the book and two more weeks.

How about you?

Best,

Emily

Message Edited by emily_card on 03-11-200705:05 PM

Contributor
johnbull22
0 Kudos

Hi-I finally received the book and I noticed it suggested a business paypal account.I already have the premier-I have been trying to figure out what advantages the business has over the premier-Thanks ps-right now I am just selling my own household items,but in the near future possibly taking it to the business level due to need of more financial income.
I have to say I am learning a lot from the book-even HTML, but as I keep reading there is so much more to master.
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 290 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: