Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mimmi
0 Kudos

Re: Tuesday Visiting Author, NINA BRUHNS!

Hi, Nina!!   

I totally agree with you about romantic suspense vs mystery/thriller.  I think the main line I see between the two are that RS focus's on the romance, and while the suspense may be driving the story, I'm still going to get my HEA.  With a thriller, while there might BE romance in it, it's not the focal point of the story.  I'm sad to say that I have actually quit reading some authors who I LOVED their romances who have gone to straight thriller/mysteries, and not saying their thrillers aren't great, but I want the romance, and there are too many out there waiting for me to read them!! 

New User
kerribookwriter
0 Kudos

Re: A belated welcome to our Tuesday Visiting Author, NINA BRUHNS!

Oh yeah, and forgot to mention how totally impressed I am by your archeology profession.  I really do want to learn more about this.  Amazing!  You're kind of like our very own "Bones" in the romance world!  Too cool, Nina! 

Hugs,

K.

Author
NinaBruhns
0 Kudos

Re: our Tuesday Visiting Author, NINA BRUHNS!

LOL Kerri :smileyvery-happy:!!! Gee, I hope I'm not quite as anti-social as Bones is... ;D.

Just wanted to drop in and let everyone know I'll be answering questions in a few hours. I've had some awful news and I'm kinda reeling at the moment. 

My good friend, wonderful writer, and all-around amazing person, Blake Snyder, who wrote the best book on writing ever penned -- SAVE THE CAT -- passed away yesterday suddenly. He was younger than I, and in a million years I never thought I'd be hearing he'd left us so soon. He was a vibrant, incredible person, so very alive at every moment. 

He'll be terribly missed. :smileysad: 

Nina

Nina Bruhns
www.NinaBruhns.com
SHOOT TO THRILL, Berkley, Aug 09
IF LOOKS COULD CHILL, Berkley, Dec 09
A KISS TO KILL, Berkley, Apr 10
New User
kerribookwriter
0 Kudos

Too sad, Nina.  Please send our thoughts and prayers to all the friends and family. 

Hugs,

K.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, Nina, I'm so sorry! I heard about Blake Snyder's death last night from a friend, and then saw it confirmed on his Twitter profile (I had been following him there). His book Save the Cat! is a must for new writers.

Nina, your visit seems to be jinxed. Take time to mourn today, and come back with us again tomorrow.

Here's a link to Blake's book (and a second book I didn't know about):

Save the Cat!   Save the Cat! Goes to the Movies  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just a reminder to everyone that I've invited Nina to stay on an extra day. Her visit got off to a bumpy start, so please give her a big welcome today!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Nina - I'm fascinated by your studies in Egyptology -- I'm a big Agatha Christie fan, and possibly because of her books, I have been fascinated by Egypt ever since I was a teenager. I nearly went to Cairo once, but something came up (my writer's union went on strike; this was when I lived in London) and I didn't get to go. Don't know if I'd feel comfortable going there now, but I must admit to a fondness for The Mummy movies!

Can you tell us more about that aspect of your life/career? 

Author
NinaBruhns
0 Kudos

Re: Tuesday Visiting Author, NINA BRUHNS!

Hi Mimmi!

Hey girl! Great to see you here :smileyvery-happy:. You are absolutely right about the HEA. Duh!!! I totally forgot to include that aspect in my post, but the Happily Ever After is definitely essential to a romantic suspense. If there isn't a happy ending, it is not romantic suspense, period. It's a  mystery/suspense with romantic elements. :smileyvery-happy:

And I hate to say it, but I also have lost favorite authors because they have stopped putting the romance in their books. As I mentioned earlier, I rarely read anything that's not romance, simply because my main reader satisfaction comes from the relationship part. If I want a good mystery...ack, I hate to admit this too!...I'll most often go to TV or the movies. But even there, it's a rare day when the screenwriter hasn't included a romance of some kind in the story. Though it can go the other way around. I love Elizabeth George's books, which the PBS Inspector Lynley series is based on, and I also love the show, but they have left out nearly all the complex relationships that George puts in her books. :smileysad: Too bad, because it adds so much! 

Nina

Nina Bruhns
www.NinaBruhns.com
Author
NinaBruhns

Egyptology...what can I say? What a fascinating subject! And one that captured my imagination from an early age. My mom was a librarian who loved art and archaeology, so our home was always filled with amazing color illustrated books of far off lands and cultures. 

I started studying archaeology in high school, when an after-school class was offered where we were actually able to go on a dig out in the California desert. That hooked me and the rest, as they say, is history (haha ;D). But I'll admit I found American archaeology a bit boring compared to the things I'd read about in my mom's books! At that time the American Indan Movement was in full swing, and I was occasionally asked by my NA friends, "Why don't you go dig up your own ancestors?" LOL. Sometimes it was a joke, sometimes not. But when I went to Sweden on a junior year abroad program (they didn't have one in Denmark, which is where my family is from), I ended up staying for 6 years, where I studied Nordic archaeolgy for 2 years. It was very enlightning and sometimes fascinating. But still not as cool as Minoan palaces ;D. I switched to Classical archaeolgy for 2 more semesters, then decided to take a stab at Egyptology. I ended up loving it, and getting my degrees in that specialty. And I figured I'd done my time digging up my own ancestors, so if anyone asked I now had a good reply! LOL.

I'll admit, part of the reason I loved Egyptology, despite definitely not being what you'd call a classical archaeologist (there is a huge difference in emphasis in classical vs "modern" archaeology--a much more object-oriented discipline vs a humanist-oriented one), I loved the fact that language study is such a big part of Egyptology (heiroglypics, etc), and I also fell totally in love with reading the old books by the British explorers and early experts in the field (Gardner, Petrie, Davies, and yes! Barbara Mertz (better known as Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels). I know, crazy to get a degree in a subject just because you like the books!:smileyvery-happy: But there you go. The power of the written word!

Egypt of the Pharaohs 

I've been lucky to travel to many exciting places for digs and archaeological surveys, and I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world.  My all-time favorite job ever was organizing the Egyptian pottery at the famous Oriental Institute museum while studying for my PhD at the University of Chicago (where Egyptology was born and the founder of which Indiana Jones was based on). The OI was responsible for much of the early work done in the field, and as a consequence has an incredible collection. To actually get to handle those vessels from the tombs of the ancient pharoahs was incredible!

When I first started writing, a big disappointment was that at the time foreign settings were not selling well in romance, so no publisher would take a chance on a book set outside a very narrow area (USA and Britain).  So it wasn't until recently that I've been able to use any of the knowledge I have about Egypt and the Sudan (part of the ancient Egyptian culture area, and my specialty) in my writing. I had an archaeologist heroine in Sins of the Father (Silhouette Intimate Moments Series) , but that's it. Until this year! As you know, SHOOT TO THRILL is set partly in the Sudan. Yay! Finally!

And the best news is that next year I'll have a 3-book series out with Silhouette Nocturne that are all set in contemporary Egypt.

The heroes are all shapeshifters, serving an ancient Egyptian demi-god, one of the last left on earth,  a disciple of Seth. The heroines are sisters, one an anthropologist, one an archaeolotist, one an historian, all working in Egypt. They get caught up in the ancient cult, a twisty mystery, and the search for their missing parents...all while falling in love with the most dangerous men they've ever met. It is a very cool series that I'm really excited about! For any of you who have read my previous Nocturne, Night Mischief (Silhouette Nocturne #25)  you'll know I love writing dark, uber-dangerous heroes who at first seem like they might be very, very bad. But they can't resist the even stronger power of true love... 

Nina Bruhns
www.NinaBruhns.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wow -- I am sooo impressed! First, my son just graduated from the University of Chicago, so I am familiar with the Oriental Institute Museum there. Amazing place!

Have you read Mallowan's Memoirs -- the autobiography of Agatha Christie's second husband? I don't know if you are a Christie fan, but her Egypt-based mysteries are good, too -- although possibly not as popular as Elizabeth Peters' books these days.

Loretta Chase's historical romance Mr. Impossible was one of the books that turned me on to that sub-genre, partly because of its wonderful setting in Egypt.

I'm fascinated to learn about all the places you did your archealogical work. I never thought of Sweden as a place for digs, except maybe for Viking sites. My brother went to the University of New Mexico and majored in Native American Archealogy as well as Anthropolgy. This was awhile back -- I don't know if that type of major is politically correct anymore, because of the ancestral issues. He went on digs in Mexico, and he said those were really interesting.

Thanks so much for telling us about this. Writing must seem kind of tame after all your adventures around the world! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: A belated welcome to our Tuesday Visiting Author, NINA BRUHNS!

Thanks to Nina for extending her visit, since her arrival was wrought with problems.

I don't know what time zone Nina is in, so I want to thank her for visiting with us this week, and I hope she'll come back again.

Just a reminder that this thread (what we call a group of related comments) will always be accessible here. It may get bumped back by more recent posts, but you can search Nina's name and it will pop right back up. Nina, this also means that you can come back later and see how many  more people have viewed this thread. If anyone comments later on, I'll contact you to let you know.

Thanks so much for spending time with us! (And, no, I'm not kicking you out -- I'm just going off the computer for awhile, and didn't want to miss you.)