Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Agatha Christie Trivia

Interesting articles, Becke, thanks for posting them!  Although I don't know where you are finding the time - get back to packing!  LOL!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Interesting articles, Becke, thanks for posting them!  Although I don't know where you are finding the time - get back to packing!  LOL!!!

It's been an insane couple of weeks, that's for sure. I tend to troll news sites when I'm stressed - happened to spot these yesterday!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I found this on an interesting blog:

OntheairMOVIES

Sony Pictures acquired all rights in the U.S., Canada and some international territories toCrooked House, an adaptation of Agatha Christie's mystery novel. The project will be directed by Neil LaBute, who also co-wrote the script with Oscar winner Julian Fellowes (Gosford ParkDownton Abbey) and Tim Rose Price.

http://inreferencetomurder.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/07/media-murder-for-monday-2.html

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Great!  I hope they are much more faithful to the story than the recent Miss Marple episode!  Julian Fellowes' participation can't hurt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Great!  I hope they are much more faithful to the story than the recent Miss Marple episode!  Julian Fellowes' participation can't hurt.

If any of you find out more about this, please post it here!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have to thank my daughter for sending me this link: 

http://www.gettingcheeky.com/2012/08/inspired-by-literature-agatha-christie.html?spref=fb

Makeup inspired by Agatha Christie - how cool is this?

Getting Cheeky

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

There's an interesting game/contest starting next week on the Christie website.  Find the Mystery Man!  It involves following Twitter, though, so I don't think I'll do it.  Read all about it here:

http://www.agathachristie.com/insight/christie-news/2012/09/04/mystery-man-game-2012/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

There's an interesting game/contest starting next week on the Christie website.  Find the Mystery Man!  It involves following Twitter, though, so I don't think I'll do it.  Read all about it here:

http://www.agathachristie.com/insight/christie-news/2012/09/04/mystery-man-game-2012/

Thanks, Dulcinea! I'm engrossed in John Curran's new book about Christie's notebooks - it's fascinating!

Agatha Christie  

becke_davis

What fun! Look what I found - the Chipping Cleghorn Gazette!

http://chippingcleghorngazette.com/

Chipping Cleghorn Gazette

THE LATEST NEWS FROM CHIPPING CLEGHORN, MUCH BENHAM AND ST MARY MEAD

Articles include:

//
you're reading...
POISON

What’s Your Poison?

A Most Delicious Death

becke_davis

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/feb/04/agatha-christie-mi5-bletchley

Agatha Christie was investigated by MI5 over Bletchley Park mystery

Intelligence chiefs feared crime writer had a spy in Britain's top-secret codebreaking centre during second world war

Agatha Christie
Agatha Christie: the name she gave to a character in her wartime novel – Major Bletchley – aroused MI5's suspicions that she had inside knowledge of codebreaking operations. Photograph: Popperfoto/Getty Images

Did Agatha Christie have a spy in the government's top-secret codebreaking centre at Bletchley Park?

That was the fear of intelligence chiefs at MI5 during the second world war who were so concerned that they decided to investigate her contacts.

What made MI5 suspect one of Britain's famous crime writers? The answer, it can now be revealed, lay in the name of a character in her wartime novel N or M, whom she called Major Bletchley. He appears in the book as a friend of Christie's pair of detectives, Tommy and Tuppence.

In the book, published in 1941, N and M are the initials given to two of Hitler's agents as Tommy and Tuppence hunt for the enemy within. Major Bletchley comes across as a tedious former Indian army officer who claims to know the secrets of Britain's wartime efforts.

Christie happened to be a close friend of Dilly Knox, one of the leading codebreakers at Bletchley Park. MI5 was concerned that the major's inside knowledge of the progress of the war was based on what the codebreakers knew about Hitler's plans. Had Christie mischievously named the character Bletchley because Knox told her what was going on there?

The codebreakers at Bletchley Park in Buckinghamshire had broken German Enigma machine cyphers, enabling Churchill and his military commanders to know what the enemy was planning. Berlin believed Enigma was unbreakable, making it all the more essential to ensure that only a very small circle of people knew what the codebreakers at Bletchley were up to.

What worried MI5 even more was that it was Knox who had just broken the Enigma machine cypher used by German secret service officers sending spies to Britain.

According to a new account of the achievements of Bletchley Park – The Codebreakers of Station X, by Michael Smith, published on Monday by Shire books – MI5 was anxious to find out what Christie knew. It sent officers to question Knox, fearing that if they or the police questioned Christie the investigation was certain to be publicised.

Knox said Christie could not possibly know what was going on at Bletchley, but agreed to ask her himself. He realised he had to be careful exactly what he said to the author. He invited her to his home at Courn's Wood, Naphill in Buckinghamshire, and, according to friends of Knox, over tea and scones asked why she had named the Indian army major Bletchley.

Christie replied: "Bletchley? My dear, I was stuck there on my way by train from Oxford to London and took revenge by giving the name to one of my least lovable characters." MI5 was relieved.

Knox was dying of cancer when he broke the Enigma code used by German spymasters. He did not live to see how his discovery was a key factor behind the success of the "D-Day Double Cross" deception operation.

British military commanders deceived their German opposite numbers and knew that Berlin believed the allied landings would take place near Calais and not on the Normandy beaches.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

THE QUEEN OF MYSTERY: AGATHA CHRISTIE

NOW AVAILABLE IN E-BOOKS

The Queen of Mystery has come to William Morrow (an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)! William Morrow is pleased to announce that Agatha Christie, the acknowledged mistress of suspense—creator of indomitable sleuth Miss Marple, meticulous Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, and so many other unforgettable characters—brings her entire oeuvre of ingenious whodunits, locked room mysteries, and perplexing puzzles to William Morrow E-Books.

From iconic novels such as the 4:50 From Paddington, to Death by Drowning and Miss Marple Tells a Story, all the classic Christie tales will be rolled out and made available digitally during the course of the year.  To kick off this great campaign, the following Agatha Christie stories are currently available in E-Book format:

• The Blue Geranium
  • The Companion
  • The Four Suspects
  • A Christmas Tragedy
  • The Herb of Death
  • The Affair at the Bungalow
  • Death by Drowning
  • Miss Marple Tells a Story

The Blue Geranium  

The Companion  

The Four Suspects  

A Christmas Tragedy  

The Herb of Death  

The Affair at the Bungalow  

Greenshaw's Folly  

The Case of the Perfect Maid  

…and keep an eye out for the release of the following titles on June 28th:

• The Case of the Perfect Maid
  • Greenshaw’s Folly

Look for more Agatha Christie titles to be released next month!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

AGATHA CHRISTIE Re-Release Titles

In June of 2013, HarperCollins started re-releasing some classic Agatha Christie titles, and will continue to do so through December 2013. For more iformation on the various titles and release dates, see below.

• The Blue Geranium (Miss Marple)—6/4 on-sale
  • The Companion (Miss Marple)—6/4 on-sale
  • The Four Suspects (Miss Marple)—6/4 on-sale
  • A Christmas Tragedy (Miss Marple)—6/11 on-sale
  • The Herb of Death (Miss Marple)—6/11 on-sale
  • The Affair at the Bungalow (Miss Marple)—6/11 on-sale
  • Death by Drowning (Miss Marple)—6/18 on-sale
  • Miss Marple Tells a Story (Miss Marple)—6/18 on-sale
  • The Case of the Perfect Maid (Miss Marple)—6/25 on-sale
  • Greenshaw’s Folly (Miss Marple)—6/25 on-sale
  • The Adventure of the Cheap Flat (Poirot)—7/2 on-sale
  • The Mystery of Hunter’s Lodge (Poirot)—7/2 on-sale
  • The Chocolate Box (Poirot)—7/2 on-sale
  • The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb (Poirot)—7/2 on-sale
  • The Veiled Lady (Poirot)—7/2 on-sale
  • The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman (Poirot)—7/9 on-sale
  • The Case of the Missing Will (Poirot)—7/9 on-sale
  • The Lost Mine (Poirot)—7/9 on-sale
  • The Affair at the Victory Ball (Poirot)—7/9 on-sale
  • The Adventure of Johnnie Waverly (Poirot)—7/9 on-sale
  • The Market Basing Mystery (Poirot)—7/16 on-sale
  • The Incredible Theft (Poirot)—7/16 on-sale
  • The Adventure of the Clapham Cook (Poirot)—7/16 on-sale
  • The Cornish Mystery (Poirot)—7/16 on-sale
  • The Double Clue (Poirot)—7/16 on-sale
  • The Theft of the Royal Ruby (Poirot)—7/23 on-sale
  • The Lemesurier Inheritance (Poirot)—7/23 on-sale
  • The Submarine Plans (Poirot)—7/23 on-sale
  • Double Sin (Poirot)—7/23 on-sale
  • Wasps’ Nest (Poirot)—7/23 on-sale
  • The Third-Floor Flat (Poirot)—7/30 on-sale
  • The Mystery of the Baghdad Chest (Poirot)—7/30 on-sale
  • Dead Man’s Mirror (Poirot)—7/30 on-sale
  • How Does Your Garden Grow? (Poirot)—7/30 on-sale
  • Problem at Sea  (Poirot)—7/30 on-sale
  • Murder in the Mews  (Poirot)—7/30 on-sale
  • A Fairy in the Flat (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/6 on-sale
  • A Pot of Tea (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/6 on-sale
  • The Gentleman Dressed in Newspaper (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/6 on-sale
  • Blindman’s Buff (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/13 on-sale
  • The Crackler (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/13 on-sale
  • The Sunningdale Mystery (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/13 on-sale
  • The Unbreakable Alibi (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/20 on-sale
  • The Clergyman’s Daughter/The Red House (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/20 on-sale
  • The Ambassador’s Boots (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/27 on-sale
  • The Man Who Was No. 16 (Tommy & Tuppence)—8/27 on-sale
  • The Hound of Death—9/3 on-sale
  • The Fourth Man—9/3 on-sale
  • The Gipsy—9/3 on-sale
  • The Lamp—9/3 on-sale
  • Wireless—9/10 on-sale
  • The Call of Wings—9/10 on-sale
  • The Last Séance—9/10 on-sale
  • S.O.S. —9/10 on-sale
  • The Strange Case of Sir Arthur Carmichael—9/17 on-sale
  • Three Blind Mice—9/17 on-sale
  • In a Glass Darkly—9/17 on-sale
  • Accident—9/24 on-sale
  • Sing a Song of Sixpence—9/24 on-sale
  • The Dressmaker’s Doll—9/24 on-sale
  • The Listerdale Mystery—9/24 on-sale
  • At the ‘Bells and Motley’—10/1 on-sale
  • The Sign in the Sky—10/1 on-sale
  • The Soul of the Croupier —10/1 on-sale
  • The Man from the Sea—10/8 on-sale
  • The Voice in the Dark—10/8 on-sale
  • The Face of Helen—10/8 on-sale
  • The Bird with the Broken Wing—10/15 on-sale
  • The World’s End—10/15 on-sale
  • Harlequin’s Lane—10/15 on-sale  
  • The Case of the Distressed Lady—10/22 on-sale
  • The Case of the Discontented Husband—10/22 on-sale
  • The Case of the City Clerk—10/22 on-sale
  • The Case of the Rich Woman—10/22 on-sale
  • Have You Got Everything You Want? —10/22 on-sale
  • The Pearl of Price—10/29 on-sale
  • Death on the Nile: A Parker Pyne Short Story—10/29 on-sale
  • The Oracle at Delphi—10/29 on-sale
  • Problem at Pollensa Bay—10/29 on-sale
  • The Regatta Mystery (Parker Pyne version) —10/29 on-sale
  • The Girl in the Train—11/5 on-sale
  • A Fruitful Sunday—11/5 on-sale
  • The Golden Ball—11/5 on-sale
  • Swan Song—11/5 on-sale
  • Magnolia Blossom—11/12 on-sale
  • Next to a Dog—11/12 on-sale
  • The Edge—11/12 on-sale
  • The Actress—11/19 on-sale
  • While the Light Lasts—11/19 on-sale
  • The House of Dreams—11/19 on-sale
  • The Lonely God—11/26 on-sale
  • Manx Gold—11/26 on-sale
  • Within a Wall—11/26 on-sale
  • Star Over Bethlehem—12/3 on-sale
  • The Naughty Donkey—12/3 on-sale
  • The Water Bus—12/3 on-sale
  • In the Cool of the Evening—12/10 on-sale
  • Promotion in the Highest—12/10 on-sale
  • The Island—12/10 on-sale

For more information, visit the AGATHA CHRISTIE page on HarperCollins.com

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: AGATHA CHRISTIE Re-Release Titles

I don't get it - these are short stories.  They're releasing them separately?  I'd rather have the original collections.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

ducinea3, I went to the Barnes and Noble site, and found that most of the titles being discussed here are now being offered in NOOK format. However, there is one book that's a "bundle" of Christie's first three mystery novels, if that would be of interest to you.

In light of the article posted in this thread, about M!5 investigating Agatha Christie because of her use of the name Major Bletchley in her Tommy and Tuppence book about espionage, the book, N or M is available.

N or M? (Tommy and Tuppence Series)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Personally, I am disappointed that most of the titles I am interested in from the list are in NOOK or e-book format, I do hope that the Regatta Mystery   featuring Parker Pyne will be available in paperback format. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Poirot version differs from the one featuring Parker Pyne

The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Actually, Fricka, I probably should have been clearer - I HAVE the original collections, as well as all the novels.  I just meant that I think the collections are better than acquiring each story separately.  Although some of them were just random collections, some had a theme or were meant to be read together.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Actually, Fricka, I probably should have been clearer - I HAVE the original collections, as well as all the novels.  I just meant that I think the collections are better than acquiring each story separately.  Although some of them were just random collections, some had a theme or were meant to be read together.

Ohhhh, right, I get it. Like, for example, The Harlequin Tea Set has the Harlequin/Mr. Satterthwaite stories together. I'm also a fan of the Parker Pyne stories and have the book that has those stories, so I wouldn't really be in the market for a single Parker Pyne story, unless it was one that for whatever reason, hadn't been included in that collection. Same with Tommy and Tuppence stories. However, as I am in the process of writing this, it occurs to me that there could be readers who haven't read Christie at all or maybe just one or two, and if they happen to own a NOOK or e-reader, these stories would be fine for them. To each her own!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Personally, I am disappointed that most of the titles I am interested in from the list are in NOOK or e-book format, I do hope that the Regatta Mystery   featuring Parker Pyne will be available in paperback format. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Poirot version differs from the one featuring Parker Pyne

The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories  

I don't think many of her anthologies were available for Nook prior to this, and some of these short stories were only available in British editions. I don't know if these will also be published in new paper editions, but it would be fun (and expensive for me!) if they are!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

William Morrow to publish fully-authorized new Agatha Christie novel written by internationally bestselling author Sophie Hannah

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE New York, NY (Tuesday, September 3, 2013) – William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers today announces plans to publish the first-ever new Agatha Christie novel, fully authorized by the Christie estate, to be penned by international bestseller Sophie Hannah.  The deal for World English rights was negotiated by Daniel Mallory, VP, Executive Editor at William Morrow, and David Brawn, Estates Publisher at HarperCollins UK with Hilary Strong, Managing Director at Christie rights manager Acorn Productions Ltd/Agatha Christie Ltd, the UK based rights holding production arm of RLJ Entertainment, Inc (NASDAQ: RLJE) and Hannah’s agent Peter Straus at Rogers, Coleridge & White.  The novel will be published in September 2014 by HarperCollins worldwide.

The new novel will feature Hercule Poirot in a diabolically clever murder mystery sure to baffle and delight Christie's fans, and those who have never read her work. Agatha Christie introduced the Belgian detective to the world in her first book, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, published in 1920. It has been 38 years since Agatha Christie’s last novel, Sleeping Murder, was published in 1976, and 39 years since the final Poirot, Curtain.

“It was pure serendipity that led to Sophie Hannah being commissioned to write this book,” notes Mathew Prichard, Chairman of Agatha Christie Ltd and grandson of Agatha Christie. “Her agent happened to approach HarperCollins in exactly the same week that my colleagues and I started discussing a new Christie book. Her idea for a plot line was so compelling and her passion for my grandmother’s work so strong, that we felt that the time was right for a new Christie to be written.”

Hannah, a leading writer of psychological crime fiction who is published in 24 countries, says, “It is almost impossible to put into words how honored I am to have been entrusted with this amazing project—in fact, I still can't quite believe that this is really happening! I hope to create a puzzle that will confound and frustrate the incomparable Hercule Poirot for at least a good few chapters.”

"In the years since William Morrow began publishing the world's bestselling novelist, we have seen astounding results across a range of formats and promotions,” notes Mallory.  “Sophie Hannah's spellbinding novel marks a new stage in our relationship with Agatha Christie, and along with our colleagues at Harper UK, Acorn, Agatha Christie Ltd, and of course Mathew Prichard and the family, we are looking forward eagerly to bringing whole new generations of readers to this legendary author.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Sophie Hannah is the internationally bestselling author of eight psychological thrillers, which have been published in more than 20 countries and adapted for television.  Last year, her novel Kind of Cruel was shortlisted for the Specsavers National Book Awards Crime Thriller of the Year.  Sophie is also a poet, and has been shortlisted for the TS Eliot Prize.  Sophie lives in Cambridge, and is an Honorary Fellow of Lucy Cavendish College.  Her website is www.sophiehannah.com and you can follow her on Twitter at @sophiehannahcb1.  

ABOUT THE AGATHA CHRISTIE:

Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time, outsold only by the Bible and Shakespeare. Her books have sold over a billion copies in English with another billion in foreign languages. She is the author of 80 crime novels and short story collections, 19 plays (including The Mousetrap, the longest-running play in history), and six novels written under the name Mary Westmacott. Agatha Christie was made a dame in 1971, and died in 1976.

ABOUT ACORN PRODUCTIONS LIMITED:

Acorn Productions Limited is the UK based rights holding production arm of RLJ Entertainment, Inc (NASDAQ: RLJE) a premier independent licensee and distributor of entertainment content and programming in North America, the United Kingdom and Australia with over  5,300 exclusive titles. Acorn Productions Limited manages intellectual property rights including the rights to the Agatha Christie estate and Foyle’s War.

ABOUT HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS
HarperCollins Publishers, one of the largest English-language publishers in the world, is a subsidiary of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NNC, NNCLV). Headquartered in New York, HarperCollins has publishing groups around the world in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and India. HarperCollins is a broad-based publisher with strengths in literary and commercial fiction, business books, children's books, cookbooks, narrative nonfiction, mystery, romance, reference, pop culture, design, health, wellness, and religious and spiritual books. With nearly 200 years of history, HarperCollins has published some of the world's foremost authors, including winners of the Nobel Prize, the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award, the Newbery Medal, and the Caldecott Medal. HarperCollins is consistently at the forefront of innovation, using digital technology to create unique reading experiences and expand the reach of its authors. You can visit HarperCollins Publishers online at:http://www.harpercollins.com