Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Agatha Christie's A Murder Announced

Hi, everyone, My book club is doing an Agatha Christie month. We are all reading a different one.

I choose A Murder Announced, a Miss Marple. It is funny and good. I like the characters and I like the way the book is developing and I want to read more. I think I will read more of her books once we are done with this month's club.

I will tell you what I think of the book once I finished it.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: Agatha Christie's A Murder Announced

Hi Patti,

What a good Idea !   I have been thinking about reading a Christie book for a while but never took the plunge until now. I know lots of readers here love them. Also they don't take to long to read about 150 pages. Ok I will start with this one, and let you know !      :smileyhappy:   Optic 

The Moving Finger, A Miss Marple Mystery  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

A Murder is Announced is among my favorite Christie novels!  And I know that Becke has said before what I also found - we both managed to solve it before the end!  I wonder if you will, too, Patti!  It was a very rare thing for me to figure a Christie out for myself.

This is the edition I have:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple Series)  

It looks like these editions are all still available.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

"A Murder is Announced" is a great little social commentary on life in the small English village. And it's so nostalgic to remember the days when there were multiple local newspapers to read, even in a small place like the setting of this story.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

"A Murder is Announced" is a great little social commentary on life in the small English village. And it's so nostalgic to remember the days when there were multiple local newspapers to read, even in a small place like the setting of this story.

I know - it's sad how many things in her books are anachronisms today.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, I just finished A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie. It kept my guessing until the end. A lot of twists and turns in this one.

Worth the read.

I really enjoyed it.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Patti,

What a good Idea !   I have been thinking about reading a Christie book for a while but never took the plunge until now. I know lots of readers here love them. Also they don't take to long to read about 150 pages. Ok I will start with this one, and let you know !      :smileyhappy:   Optic 

Hi Patti,

I finished The Moving Finger. By Agatha Christie

I was happy to see that my first Christie book was one of Agatha's favorite !

I enjoyed the story, about poisen pen letters being mailed out anonymously by someone in a village that resulted in murder. 

But I was a bit confused when I read far into the book. That their had not been mentioned a Miss Marple yet. It wasn't until page 80 of a 120 page nook book that she first appeared.

Is this common in Miss Marple books ?   :smileyhappy:  Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

becke_davis, I just finished A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie. It kept my guessing until the end. A lot of twists and turns in this one.

Worth the read.

I really enjoyed it.

ReadingPatti

I liked that one a lot. Did you know there are TWO televised versions of it?

I'm not finding a link at B&N, but you can read about them here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/mystery/announced/index.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

And here's the other version:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087756/

Agatha Christie's Miss Marple: A Murder Is Announced Poster

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Patti,

Hi Patti,

I enjoyed the story, about poisen pen letters being mailed out anonymously by someone in a village that resulted in murder. 

But I was a bit confused when I read far into the book. That their had not been mentioned a Miss Marple yet. It wasn't until page 80 of a 120 page nook book that she first appeared.

No, this isn't exactly common. It's been done similarly in a couple of Poirot novels, too, where the so-called main character isn't introduced until 1/2 or 2/3 of the story is gone. I think that it's fun, because these sleuths only come on the spot in many cases after the story has already taken place and in these rare instances, we get to experience that feeling along with them. I'm trying to remember the title of one story she wrote that uses this as the focus of the complete story... I think it was "Toward Zero" in which Christie wrote about the murder as the conclusion of a long succession of events and trying to reverse to the turning point moment that made murder inevitable.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

optic_i wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Patti,

Hi Patti,

No, this isn't exactly common. It's been done similarly in a couple of Poirot novels, too, where the so-called main character isn't introduced until 1/2 or 2/3 of the story is gone. I think that it's fun, because these sleuths only come on the spot in many cases after the story has already taken place and in these rare instances, we get to experience that feeling along with them. I'm trying to remember the title of one story she wrote that uses this as the focus of the complete story... I think it was "Toward Zero" in which Christie wrote about the murder as the conclusion of a long succession of events and trying to reverse to the turning point moment that made murder inevitable.

This is a favorite of mine - and I like the PBS version, too. Really good!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I picked up three books yesterday:

Talking about Detective Fiction 

Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot Series) 

An Affair with Mr. Kennedy    

I've been meaning to get the P.D. James one for a long time. I bought Sad Cypress because it's a neat new edition and my two copies are old and falling apart.

AN AFFAIR WITH MR. KENNEDY is interesting. It's a historical mystery/romance set in the late 1800s:

Overview

London, 1887. Part stoic gentleman, part fearless Yard man, Zeno “Zak” Kennedy is an enigma of the first order. For years, the memory of a deadly bombing at King’s Cross has haunted the brilliant Scotland Yard detective. His investigation has zeroed in on a ring of aristocratic rebels whose bloody campaign for Irish revolution is terrorizing the city.

When he discovers one of the treacherous lords is acquainted with his free-spirited new tenant,Cassandra St. Cloud, his inquiry pulls him unexpectedly close to the heart of the conspiracy—and into the arms of a most intriguing lady.

Cassie is no Victorian prude. An impressionist painter with very modern ideas about life and love, she is eager for a romantic escapade that is daring and discreet. She sets her sights on her dour but handsome landlord, but after she learns their meeting was not purely accidental, she hardly has a chance to forgive her lover before their passionate affair catapults them both into a perilous adventure.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, tonight is my book club at the library. I will let you know how is went. I am anxious to hear what everyone thought about the book they read.

We each have a different Agatha Christie.

Should be fun.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

becke_davis, tonight is my book club at the library. I will let you know how is went. I am anxious to hear what everyone thought about the book they read.

Should be fun.

ReadingPatti

Patti - Come back and tell us about it. In fact, invite your friends to join us and tell us about the book they read, too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Should be fun.

ReadingPatti

Patti - Come back and tell us about it. In fact, invite your friends to join us and tell us about the book they read, too!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, I am back. Book club was really good. It was so interesting to hear about what each of our members read and what they thought of the book.

Here are some that were read.

Black Coffee-originally a play wrote by Agatha.

And then there were none.

A Murder Is Announced.

Mysterious affair at Styles

Harlequinn Tea Set.

Hercules Periot's Christmas

One member read three books- Murder at the Vicarage, and two other I can think of the names

Murder in the Orient

Nemesis

Crooked House

Spider's Web

We all like what we read and want to read more. We liked how Agatha gave us red herring's and then when we thought we knew who did it someone else did.

We also talked about Agatha herself and her like. How she became the best selling mystery author. In the Guiness book of world records. As I saw on the net over 4 billion books.

I was surprise that she wrote plays and the a man took the plays and made then into books.

I was glad we did this. It was interesting.

I have two new members for my club. We now have twelve.

It was really a great night.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

becke_davis, I am back. Book club was really good. It was so interesting to hear about what each of our members read and what they thought of the book.

Here are some that were read.

Black Coffee-originally a play wrote by Agatha.

And then there were none.

A Murder Is Announced.

Mysterious affair at Styles

Harlequinn Tea Set.

Hercules Periot's Christmas

One member read three books- Murder at the Vicarage, and two other I can think of the names

Murder in the Orient

Nemesis

Crooked House

Spider's Web

We all like what we read and want to read more. We liked how Agatha gave us red herring's and then when we thought we knew who did it someone else did.

We also talked about Agatha herself and her like. How she became the best selling mystery author. In the Guiness book of world records. As I saw on the net over 4 billion books.

I was surprise that she wrote plays and the a man took the plays and made then into books.

I was glad we did this. It was interesting.

I have two new members for my club. We now have twelve.

It was really a great night.

ReadingPatti

Out of the books listed here, Nemesis and Crooked House are my favorites!

Nemesis (Miss Marple Series) 

Crooked House