becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: America Mystery Classics: CRAIG RICE

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Over the weekend, I read:

Who Was That Lady?  

and one of her books called THE LUCKY STIFF.

I really enjoyed Jeffrey's biography. She definitely was quite a person. I really felt sorry for her because she was a victim of the times. There is a lot more known about bipolar, alcoholism and domestic abuse today. If she lived today, her life could have been alot better and possibly she would have lived longer than 49 years. 

She was a very talented writer and I really enjoyed THE LUCKY STIFF. She was also very humorous and told lies and stretched the truth a bit, but that was part of her disease. You couldn't help but like her as was obvious by her ability to pull people into her stories and lies. She was very entertaining and that's what people liked about her! 

I am definitely looking forward to reading more of her books and also some of Jeffrey's other biographies!

It's sad and shocking so little is known about her today. If it wasn't for Jeff's book, I'd never have heard of her - and I've been reading mysteries from that era all my life. Honestly, I'm surprised my parents didn't have copies of her books.

Maybe people liked her so much that they held onto her books or she was so controversial people stopped buying them. That is such a mystery that your parents didn't have any of her books!

They had pretty  much every other mystery author, so it is kind of strange.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
I've not heard of her."Who was that lady?" Sounds like a fiting title then.

She was famous enough to make the cover of time, and yet I rarely find her books in used book stores. Very odd.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Craig, Hi and welcome. I hope you have nice visit. I was looking at your books covers and they are intriguing. Very different from what I used too.

How did you come up with them?

What do you like about writing mysteries?

I always wonder this.

So again welcome and have a great visit.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Craig, Hi and welcome. I hope you have nice visit. I was looking at your books covers and they are intriguing. Very different from what I used too.

How did you come up with them?

What do you like about writing mysteries?

I always wonder this.

So again welcome and have a great visit.

ReadingPatti

Patti - Sadly, Craig Rice died some time back, but Jeff Marks - who wrote the definitive biography about her - will be checking in with us this week. He's at Sleuthfest right now:

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Welcome Jeff! I do have a question. If you were to meet Craig Rice today. What would you say or ask her?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Contributor
JeffMarks
0 Kudos

Hi

No, I really did not leave much out that I learned. I toned down some of the seamier aspects of her life, as the bad years were really unattractive. But I did not leave anything out. 

I've learned a few things since publication of the book. For example, James Lipton, of Inside the Actor's Studio, was Craig's stepson. 

There have been other scholarly publications. There was a book on the Heirans case. There have been 2 more biographies of Gypsy (which bore out my own research.) 

Jeff

Contributor
JeffMarks
0 Kudos

Craig started in journalism, which was still a man's game in the 1920s-1930s. She had built up a reputation there, and did not want to lose her name recognition. So she kept the name for mystery writing. 

Contributor
JeffMarks
0 Kudos

Wow, great question!

I'd probably start with clarifying a few details that I wasn't able to confirm about her life. Then I'd ask her about her marriages. I'd like to find out more about why she selected each one of them. They were all so different!

Jeff

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

JeffMarks wrote:

Wow, great question!

I'd probably start with clarifying a few details that I wasn't able to confirm about her life. Then I'd ask her about her marriages. I'd like to find out more about why she selected each one of them. They were all so different!

Jeff

Seems to me that she did't want to be alone and had to have a man in her life, so whoever was available at the time became the next man in her life for better or for worse!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeffMarks wrote:

Hi

No, I really did not leave much out that I learned. I toned down some of the seamier aspects of her life, as the bad years were really unattractive. But I did not leave anything out. 

I've learned a few things since publication of the book. For example, James Lipton, of Inside the Actor's Studio, was Craig's stepson. 

There have been other scholarly publications. There was a book on the Heirans case. There have been 2 more biographies of Gypsy (which bore out my own research.) 

Jeff

You're kidding - James Lipton was her stepson? Are you going to try to interview him one day, or have you moved on? (I noticed you're working on Erle Stanley Gardner and Ellery Queen now...)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jeff - How's everything going at Sleuthfest? I didn't realize it was in Orlando - my daughter lives there. Darn, wish I'd noticed that sooner!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff, was there somthing you found out about Craig Rice that made you say "WOW!"?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I had never heard of Craig Rice before, but it's been very interesting reading about her.  Jeff, thanks for your insights into her life!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
JeffMarks
0 Kudos

Yes, one and the same! 

I bought a copy of his own memoir to see if it would be worthwhile to interview him and update the biography, but by his own admission, he had little to do with his father (the father left the family to go marry Craig), and what few facts he included about Craig were entirely wrong. So I didn't feel it would serve much purpose. 

Yes, I'm nearly done with Gardner and beginning to look towards Ellery Queen!

Contributor
JeffMarks
0 Kudos

Wow, it would have been nice to see you in Orlando! 

Contributor
JeffMarks
0 Kudos

The audacity of lying to Time magazine was probably the biggest WOW factor I had. 

The best memory from doing the book was probably watching the movie version of Home Sweet Homicide with Craig's children. (the book was loosely based on her own family.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeffMarks wrote:

Yes, one and the same! 

I bought a copy of his own memoir to see if it would be worthwhile to interview him and update the biography, but by his own admission, he had little to do with his father (the father left the family to go marry Craig), and what few facts he included about Craig were entirely wrong. So I didn't feel it would serve much purpose. 

Yes, I'm nearly done with Gardner and beginning to look towards Ellery Queen!

Jeff - This is our schedule for the new, last week of the month feature we're calling American Mystery Classics. Stop in and join us for some of these, too!

January: ERLE STANLEY GARDNER (aka A.A. FAIR)

February: CRAIG RICE

March: DASHIELL HAMMETT

April: FRANCES AND RICHARD LOCKRIDGE

May: FREDERICK DANNAY AND MANFRED BENNINGTON LEE (aka ELLERY QUEEN)

June: ED MCBAIN

July: CHARLOTTE ARMSTRONG

August: REX STOUT

September: HELEN MACINNES

October: IRA LEVIN

November: DORIS MILES DISNEY

December: RAYMOND CHANDLER

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeffMarks wrote:

The audacity of lying to Time magazine was probably the biggest WOW factor I had. 

The best memory from doing the book was probably watching the movie version of Home Sweet Homicide with Craig's children. (the book was loosely based on her own family.)

I want to try and find that. There are clips on YouTube - I think I posted one here.