Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: American Mystery Classics: DORIS MILES DISNEY

[ Edited ]

11.48 [--] Kraft Mystery TheatreTRICK OR TREAT

10-Sep-1958 NBC Wed
Teleplay by Vance Bourjaily; Story by Doris Miles Disney

guest stars
Robert Pastene 
Will Kuluva
Ellen McRae ........ Linda
Robert Mandan
Mary Finney .......... Mary Finney
Synopsis:
A middle-aged housewife discovers her husband in climbing the ladder of success wants to get rid of her. On Halloween night a murderer, disguised as a ghost, comes to the front door and shoots her to death. [RF] 

Synopsis 2:
A dull middle-aged housewife Edna Monro discovers her husband Mike in climbing the ladder of success wants to get rid of her. She is aware of a love affair between her husband and his secretary Linda. On Halloween night, a murderer, masked as a ghost, rings her doorbell and shoots her to death. [RF]

You can watch this whole episode here: http://www.ovguide.com/tv_episode/kraft-television-theatre-season-11-episode-48-trick-or-treat-20428...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just spotted this: http://jdcarr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715

The 10 best mysteries of all time

Anthony Berkeley - "Jumping Jenny"
John Dickson Carr - "The Crooked Hinge"
Agatha Christie - "Five Little Pigs"
Doris Miles Disney - "The Straw Man"
Ross MacDonald - "The Far Side of the Dollar"
Geoffrey Halliday Hall - "The End is Known"
Ngaio Marsh - "Surfeit of the Lampreys"
Ellery Queen - "The Siamese Twins Mystery"
Patrick Quentin - "Puzzle for Puppets"
Dorothy L. Sayers - "The Nine Tailors"
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I've heard the name before but unfortunately I've never read any of her books. I'll have to see if any are at the used book store tomorrow.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I've heard the name before but unfortunately I've never read any of her books. I'll have to see if any are at the used book store tomorrow.

Her books are often compared to books from the Golden Age of Mystery. I think it's interesting that so many were turned into films and TV shows.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

It's always interesting to learn about classic authors I'm not familiar with.  I've never read any of her books, and I don't think I've seen any of those movies, except possibley Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate, which sounds a bit familiar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

It's always interesting to learn about classic authors I'm not familiar with.  I've never read any of her books, and I don't think I've seen any of those movies, except possibley Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate, which sounds a bit familiar.

Considering how popular her books were - I remember getting several as Crime Club selections - I'm surprised how little information I've been able to find about her. Very...mysterious!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Maybe it was unusual to discuss it in public?  I think I want to read her just for that reason alone though.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I thought it was interesting that the article discussed her politics, even if just a little bit.

becke_davis wrote:

I found a newspaper article with new of her death - and a photograph! - here:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/garchives?searchquery=doris+miles+disney%2C+mystery+writer&submit...

I can't figure out how to copy it, though.

There is some discussion about Doris Miles Disney's books at this forum:

http://jdcarr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2146

You're right - was it that unusual for a writer to have "left of center" politics back then?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Maybe it was unusual to discuss it in public?  I think I want to read her just for that reason alone though.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I thought it was interesting that the article discussed her politics, even if just a little bit.

becke_davis wrote:

I found a newspaper article with new of her death - and a photograph! - here:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/garchives?searchquery=doris+miles+disney%2C+mystery+writer&submit...

I can't figure out how to copy it, though.

There is some discussion about Doris Miles Disney's books at this forum:

http://jdcarr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2146

You're right - was it that unusual for a writer to have "left of center" politics back then?

I can't think of any examples of her politics coming through in her books, but I DO remember how tense and suspenseful her stories were. 

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

The Lakeland Library Cooperative (of which my local library is a member) has 18 of her books available. I requested "Only Couples Need Apply" quite randomly. I hope it's not too musty - makes me sneeze! I'll let you know what I think after I get it and try to read it.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

The Lakeland Library Cooperative (of which my local library is a member) has 18 of her books available. I requested "Only Couples Need Apply" quite randomly. I hope it's not too musty - makes me sneeze! I'll let you know what I think after I get it and try to read it.

I remember reading that one. At one time, I think I had almost all of her books. As often as we moved when I was young, I'm amazed I kept as many books as I did!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Busy weekend but I did start reading, VOICE FROM THE GRAVE. I'll report back when I finish. So far I like her voice very much.
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:
Busy weekend but I did start reading, VOICE FROM THE GRAVE. I'll report back when I finish. So far I like her voice very much.

I've always found her books to be very fast reads - in part because none of them are very long, by today's standards, and in part because they're so suspensful.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Finished VOICE FROM THE GRAVE. The ending was a big surprise. The plot twist was excellent. Didn't expect what happened. Will definitely have to read more of her books. Really good writer!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Finished VOICE FROM THE GRAVE. The ending was a big surprise. The plot twist was excellent. Didn't expect what happened. Will definitely have to read more of her books. Really good writer!

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it!

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12

Here's my review of Only Couples Need Apply :

We open the book to an urban-pastoral scene - a young couple sitting in a diner, enjoying breakfast together, reading the newspaper and looking for an apartment. I can almost hear the bacon and eggs sizzle. But slowly, we find that this unassuming couple is anything but ordinary. They are cold-blooded killers looking for their next victim.

This literary approach was very effective for me, especially since the method of our criminals is to be unobtrusive, earning the trust of their prey and then without emotion, take all their valuables and end their lives without remorse. Ms. Disney is a writer that is efficient in her prose and deliberate in her pacing. At only 188 pages in the first edition, there's no room for errors, just as in the crimes portrayed.

Out of print, this book was a great find thanks to my friends over and the Barnes & Noble Mystery Book Clubs. Thankfully, my library has some first edition hardcovers of Doris Miles Disney. I may be checking out more of her stories at some point in the future!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Here's my review of Only Couples Need Apply :

We open the book to an urban-pastoral scene - a young couple sitting in a diner, enjoying breakfast together, reading the newspaper and looking for an apartment. I can almost hear the bacon and eggs sizzle. But slowly, we find that this unassuming couple is anything but ordinary. They are cold-blooded killers looking for their next victim.

This literary approach was very effective for me, especially since the method of our criminals is to be unobtrusive, earning the trust of their prey and then without emotion, take all their valuables and end their lives without remorse. Ms. Disney is a writer that is efficient in her prose and deliberate in her pacing. At only 188 pages in the first edition, there's no room for errors, just as in the crimes portrayed.

Out of print, this book was a great find thanks to my friends over and the Barnes & Noble Mystery Book Clubs. Thankfully, my library has some first edition hardcovers of Doris Miles Disney. I may be checking out more of her stories at some point in the future!

I think it's interesting that several of her books were turned into movies and TV shows. They translate very well into the big screen!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Thanks for the review of this hard-to-find book, Ruth!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia