Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: American Mystery Classics: ERLE STANLEY GARDNER

When I was a kid and watched the series, I always found "Ham" Burger's name hilarious!!! :smileylol:

Well, I've now read a Perry Mason novella (The Case of the Crying Swallow) and a novel (The Case of the Queenly Contestant), three non-Mason short stories, and watched two episodes of the TV series (it's on at night on a local station)!  It's been a lot of fun revisiting!

Becke, the amount of info you've found is almost overwhelming! :smileywink: I'm lookng forward to reading through it!  Love the vintage covers!

I used to have a number of volumes from the Detective Book Club, each of which had two novels in it, except for the introductory volume, which had three.  In every case, one of the two would be a Perry Mason novel, with the other being by a variety of authors.  I only kept the two that had Christie novels, so those were the ones I read the Gardner stories from.  But I do recall that in one or two cases, the other novel was by A.A. Fair.  I'm not sure I realized at the time that it was the same author.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

[ Edited ]

I read:

The Case of the Caretaker's Cat 

The Case of the Perjured Parrot   

I enjoyed them both. They were both in one book that I found at a thrift store but I couldn't find the book under Add Product, so I posted them separately. 

I also have a copy of:

The Case of the Careless Kitten 

The Case of the Fabulous Fake   

I haven't read these yet. 

I agree, Becke, these books are very addictive!

On another thread was a comment about Perry and Della getting married.

In Caretaker's Cat, they actually posed as a married couple and went on a pretend honeymoon. It was a ploy in order to find someone who was driving a car. They had to report the car stolen but needed to pretend they were someone else who just got married in order to get info to report the car stolen. You need to read the story in order to understand the circumstances - too confusing to tell it here. But at the end of the story, here's Perry and Della's comments:

"And," she said, "now that we've finished up this case, we have an extra Buick sedan on our hands. What are we going to do with it; sell it, or sell the convertible?"

"No," Mason said slowly, "we'd better keep them both."

She raised her eyebrows.

"You see," he said, "it's a handy car to have around --- in case I should ever want to go  on a honeymoon."

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

I read:

I enjoyed them both. They were both in one book that I found at a thrift store but I couldn't find the book under Add Product, so I posted them separately. 

I also have a copy of:

In Caretaker's Cat, they actually posed as a married couple and went on a pretend honeymoon. It was a ploy in order to find someone who was driving a car. They had to report the car stolen but needed to pretend they were someone else who just got married in order to get info to report the car stolen. You need to read the story in order to understand the circumstances - too confusing to tell it here. But at the end of the story, here's Perry and Della's comments:

"And," she said, "now that we've finished up this case, we have an extra Buick sedan on our hands. What are we going to do with it; sell it, or sell the convertible?"

She raised her eyebrows.

"You see," he said, "it's a handy car to have around --- in case I should ever want to go  on a honeymoon."

Ooh - foreshadowing?? I wonder if this series ever actually ended. I read the first book, but not the last. 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

I read:

I also have a copy of:

She raised her eyebrows.

Ooh - foreshadowing?? I wonder if this series ever actually ended. I read the first book, but not the last. 

It would be interesting to see how it ended!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

That's very interesting about Hamilton Burger and I'm reading the Case of the Counterfeit Eye as we speak. I have always loved the Perry Mason Series. and did not know that Gardner also wrote under A.A. Fair. If those books are available, I will have to check them out. It's too bad that most of the Perry Mason books are no longer in print. I feel as if I could read a few more.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

That's very interesting about Hamilton Burger and I'm reading the Case of the Counterfeit Eye as we speak. I have always loved the Perry Mason Series. and did not know that Gardner also wrote under A.A. Fair. If those books are available, I will have to check them out. It's too bad that most of the Perry Mason books are no longer in print. I feel as if I could read a few more.

The thing I found interesting about the Case of the Counterfeit Eye was that fake eyeballs seemed fairly commonplace. I wonder if that was a leftover from the war?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I bet this was a fun game!

It reminds me of one of my favorite Christmas presents ever - I got it when I was 8 or 9:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis

Mort Drucker's Perry Mason 

"The Night Perry Masonmint Lost A Case" is a favorite of mine, from Mad #48, 1959. Not only am I a fan of of artist Mort Drucker, but I also remember the Raymond Burr TV show with fondness. I watched it every week. 

I downloaded the scans of the original art from Heritage Auctions. It went through some production phases in which it was cleaned up, where the bleed edges of the panel borders were covered up, giving it a neater appearance than it had in its primary state. Like many artists whose work was done for black line printing, Drucker used Craftint paper, "painting" with the chemical that brought out the ben day effects. That paper became known as Grafix, and is now no longer produced. (The end of an era.) 

The first Perry Mason series lasted for nine seasons on CBS, and there was a time when he actually lost a case on television (CNN did some research at some point and found out he actually lost three of three hundred, not a bad track record). I remember the hoopla around that first "losing" episode. I wonder if this satire gave some Perry Mason producer or writer the idea. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Don't know about the eyeballs, Becke. But it does make for an interesting point.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Don't know about the eyeballs, Becke. But it does make for an interesting point.

These books were written a LONG time ago so there are bound to be a lot of things that seem quaint or very-outdated (like the glass eyes). 

What have you all noticed, particularly?

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke, for linking to that comic book blog with the hilarious Mad Magazine spoof, "Perry Masonmint." I was an even bigger fan of Mad in the 50s than I was of Perry Mason, so this really brings back great memories. The character names in this parody are very clever, especially "Lt. Drag."

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm digging around on the web for more Erle Stanley Gardner and/or Perry Mason trivia:

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2011/09/01/art-literature/story-illustrations-part-1.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Now this is interesting - Agatha Christie is the best selling author of ANY kind (possibly tied with William Shakespeare, depending on your source) but I wonder if that was true back in the day:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos