0 Kudos

Re: American Mystery Classics

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I noticed your message on the other thread, Becke, but I don't see any new suggestions on this thread, so I am still going to say that an author I don't have is best for me this month, as Middlemarch is still taking up all my time, so I am pretty sure I will not have time to read anything else.  I've been reading that novel for about two and a half weeks, and I'm only about two-thirds of the way through it!  It's a good thing I'm enjoying the story!  So the ones I don't have are Doris Miles Disney (never read anything by her) and Ira Levin (have read some of his horror, but do not currently own anything).  But if you do choose somebody I do have, I will just read it later and post next month or something, so that's fine.

Let's go with Doris Miles Disney. Her books are hard to find, but definitely worth reading. That way you all don't need to read her books first. I'm hoping someone will bring her books back into print - she was hugely popular in the Sixties.

That's fine with me. I have one of her books from GOT BOOKS! Thanks Becke!

If you ever find used copies, grab them! I've read all of her books - back in the day, mostly - but I liked them enough to save them all these years.

I just checked to see what books I have. I remember that you sent me one but I now have four: VOICE FROM THE GRAVE, THE NEXT OF KIN, THE MAGIC GRANDFATHER and BLACKMAIL. So I have found some at thrift stores. I have to admit that I never heard of her before you sent me one of her books. In fact, I thought you were sending me a book about Walt Disney written by one of his family members! LOL

Was that The Magic Grandfather? I remember I liked that one. It's weird, she's so thoroughly entrenched in my mind as a mystery author, I don't even think about her as a Disney. I wonder if she's related?

This is all Wikipedia says: 

Doris Miles Disney (December 22, 1907 – March 9, 1976) was an American mystery writer. She was born in Glastonbury, Connecticut, and died in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Disney wrote 49 novels. Many of her novels were both best sellers and the bases for major feature films.[1]

Disney was known for her character development and the creative mystery surrounding her plots. Most of her main characters were based on acquaintances known to her or her daughter, Elizabeth. Disney liked to use her society experiences as a female character base for novels.

Novels

• A Compound for Death (1943)
  • Murder on a Tangent (1945)
  • Dark Road (1946)
  • Who Rides a Tiger (1946)
  • Appointment at Nine (1947)
  • Enduring Old Charms (1947)
  • Testimony by Silence (1948)
  • That Which Is Crooked (1948)
  • Count the Ways (1949)
  • Family Skeleton (1949)
  • Fire at Will (1950)
  • Look Back on Murder (1951)
  • Straw Man (1951)
  • Heavy, Heavy Hangs (1952)
  • Do Unto Others (1953)
  • Prescription: Murder (1953)
  • The Last Straw (1954)
  • Trick or Treat (1955)
  • Room for Murder (1955)
  • Unappointed Rounds (1956)
  • Method in Madness (1957)
  • My Neighbor's Wife (1957)
  • Black Mail (1958)
  • Did She Fall or Was She Pushed? (1959)
  • No Next of Kin (1959)
  • Dark Lady (1960)
  • Mrs. Meeker's Money (1961)
  • Find the Woman (1962)
  • Should Auld Acquaintance (1962)
  • Here Lies… (1963)
  • The Departure of Mr. Gaudette (1964)
  • The Hospitality of the House (1964)
  • Shadow of a Man (1965)
  • At Some Forgotten Door (1966)
  • The Magic Grandfather (1966)
  • Night of Clear Choice (1967)
  • Money for the Taking (1968)
  • Voice from the Grave (1968)
  • Two Little Children and How They Grew (1969)
  • Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate (1970)
  • The Chandler Policy (1971)
  • Three's a Crowd (1971)
  • The Day Miss Bessie Lewis Disappeared (1972)
  • Only Couples Need Apply (1973)
  • Don't Go Into the Woods Today (1974)
  • Cry for Help (1975)
  • Winifred (1976)
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I noticed your message on the other thread, Becke, but I don't see any new suggestions on this thread, so I am still going to say that an author I don't have is best for me this month, as Middlemarch is still taking up all my time, so I am pretty sure I will not have time to read anything else.  I've been reading that novel for about two and a half weeks, and I'm only about two-thirds of the way through it!  It's a good thing I'm enjoying the story!  So the ones I don't have are Doris Miles Disney (never read anything by her) and Ira Levin (have read some of his horror, but do not currently own anything).  But if you do choose somebody I do have, I will just read it later and post next month or something, so that's fine.

Let's go with Doris Miles Disney. Her books are hard to find, but definitely worth reading. That way you all don't need to read her books first. I'm hoping someone will bring her books back into print - she was hugely popular in the Sixties.

That's fine with me. I have one of her books from GOT BOOKS! Thanks Becke!

If you ever find used copies, grab them! I've read all of her books - back in the day, mostly - but I liked them enough to save them all these years.

I just checked to see what books I have. I remember that you sent me one but I now have four: VOICE FROM THE GRAVE, THE NEXT OF KIN, THE MAGIC GRANDFATHER and BLACKMAIL. So I have found some at thrift stores. I have to admit that I never heard of her before you sent me one of her books. In fact, I thought you were sending me a book about Walt Disney written by one of his family members! LOL

Was that The Magic Grandfather? I remember I liked that one. It's weird, she's so thoroughly entrenched in my mind as a mystery author, I don't even think about her as a Disney. I wonder if she's related?

This is all Wikipedia says: 

Doris Miles Disney (December 22, 1907 – March 9, 1976) was an American mystery writer. She was born in Glastonbury, Connecticut, and died in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Disney wrote 49 novels. Many of her novels were both best sellers and the bases for major feature films.[1]

Disney was known for her character development and the creative mystery surrounding her plots. Most of her main characters were based on acquaintances known to her or her daughter, Elizabeth. Disney liked to use her society experiences as a female character base for novels.

Novels

• A Compound for Death (1943)
  • Murder on a Tangent (1945)
  • Dark Road (1946)
  • Who Rides a Tiger (1946)
  • Appointment at Nine (1947)
  • Enduring Old Charms (1947)
  • Testimony by Silence (1948)
  • That Which Is Crooked (1948)
  • Count the Ways (1949)
  • Family Skeleton (1949)
  • Fire at Will (1950)
  • Look Back on Murder (1951)
  • Straw Man (1951)
  • Heavy, Heavy Hangs (1952)
  • Do Unto Others (1953)
  • Prescription: Murder (1953)
  • The Last Straw (1954)
  • Trick or Treat (1955)
  • Room for Murder (1955)
  • Unappointed Rounds (1956)
  • Method in Madness (1957)
  • My Neighbor's Wife (1957)
  • Black Mail (1958)
  • Did She Fall or Was She Pushed? (1959)
  • No Next of Kin (1959)
  • Dark Lady (1960)
  • Mrs. Meeker's Money (1961)
  • Find the Woman (1962)
  • Should Auld Acquaintance (1962)
  • Here Lies… (1963)
  • The Departure of Mr. Gaudette (1964)
  • The Hospitality of the House (1964)
  • Shadow of a Man (1965)
  • At Some Forgotten Door (1966)
  • The Magic Grandfather (1966)
  • Night of Clear Choice (1967)
  • Money for the Taking (1968)
  • Voice from the Grave (1968)
  • Two Little Children and How They Grew (1969)
  • Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate (1970)
  • The Chandler Policy (1971)
  • Three's a Crowd (1971)
  • The Day Miss Bessie Lewis Disappeared (1972)
  • Only Couples Need Apply (1973)
  • Don't Go Into the Woods Today (1974)
  • Cry for Help (1975)
  • Winifred (1976)

I've highlighted in bold some of the ones I remember most clearly. On looking at this list, I'm not sure I've read all of her early books. More to look for!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I remember watching the TV movie of DO NOT FOLD, SPINDLE OR MUTILATE:

Brief Synopsis

Four elderly ladies with time on their hands create a fictional girl for a computer dating service and get involved with a psychopath. Helen Hayes, in her first TV movie, was Emmy-nominated for her performance.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0228392/

It looks like the whole movie is viewable on YouTube. Here's part one:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Well, clearly I'm losing my mind. I've been frazzled this month, working on a huge garden writing feature while packing up everything in my house and with painters here every day. I blame this on the fumes!

So, since I've already posted Charlotte Armstrong, Ellery Queen can be July. Evan Hunter/Ed McBain is the other one for June - EQ is July now.

*bangs head on desk* Sorry! Hopefully once I get moved things will be back to normal. Right now I'm a basket case!

Contributor
REDonald
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

Don't forget John D. MacDonald.  His Travis McGee (and The Busted Flush) series is awesome!

R.E. Donald, author of the Hunter Rayne highway mystery series
becke_davis
0 Kudos

John D. MacDonald

[ Edited ]

REDonald wrote:

Don't forget John D. MacDonald.  His Travis McGee (and The Busted Flush) series is awesome!

Good idea - we'll have to get him on the schedule for 2013. My dad used to have a whole bookcase dedicated to John D. MacDonald!

Contributor
Free2012
0 Kudos

Is this discussion still on-going?  I seem to see the last post in June of this year.  It seems like a great discussion and these are some of my favorite authors. 

Also, I am very new to all of this.  How does one pick up the pictures of the books that are being shown in the section on What Am I Reading Now? 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Free2012 wrote:

Is this discussion still on-going?  I seem to see the last post in June of this year.  It seems like a great discussion and these are some of my favorite authors. 

Also, I am very new to all of this.  How does one pick up the pictures of the books that are being shown in the section on What Am I Reading Now? 

I think we are covering Rex Stout for September, Free2012. if you've read the previous posts, you'll see that we've been adding names to our list of  classic mystery authors we'd like to see discussed.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi Free2012, and welcome!  This is a kind of general thread about the American Mystery Classics feature that we have been doing for almost a year now.  Each month we discuss an author during the last week of the month.  Becke (our wonderful moderator) posts a separate thread for that author at that time.  Fricka is a month off - we just did Rex Stout for the last week of August.  Of course, we can always keep adding to whatever thread we want, no matter how old it is.  At the beginning of this thread is a schedule, but even though Becke was keeping up with modifying that original post as we made changes, at one point I think she stopped, so it may not be accurate now.  I think the author for the last week of this month (September) is Mary Roberts Rinehart.  You can verify this if you look for a post called something like September in the Mystery Forum.  Becke posts a thread like this for each upcoming month, where she lists all of the guest authors and author blogs, and she also says which classic author we will be discussing.

This feature has been a lot of fun!  I know that in your introductory post you said that you like to learn about authors, and Becke always posts so much information on the featured author that it can be almost overwhelming!  We have already done some of your favorite authors, like Erle Stanley Gardner and Dashiell Hammett, but lots more great authors are to come!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Free2012 wrote:

Yes, plus if you scroll down you can see the most recent post about Rex Stout, authot of the Nero Wolfe mysteries.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

September: *NOTE CHANGE* Mary Roberts Rinehart (by popular request)

**Note**Due to the full schedule the last week of September, I'm going to bump American Mystery Classics' September feature to the first week of October. There will still be an October feature at the end of the month.

October: IRA LEVIN

November: DORIS MILES DISNEY

December: RAYMOND CHANDLER

For 2013:

Helen MacInnes (She's actually Scottish - any other suggestions for an American mystery author we haven't featured yet? Maybe Anna Katherine Green??)

John D. MacDonald

???

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

That gives me time to get in another MRR book by then.

Anna Katherine Green would be on I'm interested in.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

**Note**Due to the full schedule the last week of September, I'm going to bump American Mystery Classics' September feature to the first week of October. There will still be an October feature at the end of the month.

For 2013:

Helen MacInnes (She's actually Scottish - any other suggestions for an American mystery author we haven't featured yet? Maybe Anna Katherine Green??)

John D. MacDonald

???

I kind of hate for us to start substituting British authors in this thread, becke. I'd go along with Ryan in suggesting Anna Katherine Green in her place.

Not to be too heretical, but I've always liked the books written by ROSS MacDonald over those by John D. That quibble aside, I really don't have any objection to our discussing JD's books.

I will be looking forward to our discussing Raymond Chandler's books in December, but in the meantime I will need to be brushing up on Ira Levin and DMD.

Here's a few more names I thought I'd toss into the mix, and we can discuss whether we'd like to cover them in 2013.:

Eric Ambler

Charlotte Armstrong

Earl Der Biggers(Charlie Chan books)

Anthony Boucher

Ray Bradbury

James M. Cain

John Dickson Carr(also wrote under the names Carter Dickson, Carr Dickson)

Mignon G. Eberhart

Of the above listed authors, Mr. Dickson would be my first choice. I'd also like to read and discuss more books by Anthony Boucher. I really enjoyed reading one of his short novellas in an anthology, but haven't had much luck in getting his novels to read. Becke, you've been to Bouchercon, right? Do they sell some of Anthony's books there????

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I guess I have mostly British authors, but checking through my Great Detectives anthology, I come up with Ross MacDonald also, William Faulkner, Ray Bradbury, and Donald Westlake.  I do also have something by Mignon G. Eberhart.

When we eventually run out of ideas for American authors, I wouldn't mind starting on British.  Part of the idea was to discuss authors who are considered classic, mostly deceased, and so not likely to make author visits here!  There are plenty of great British authors that would be fun to discuss.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

dulcinea3 wrote:

I guess I have mostly British authors, but checking through my Great Detectives anthology, I come up with Ross MacDonald also, William Faulkner, Ray Bradbury, and Donald Westlake.  I do also have something by Mignon G. Eberhart.

When we eventually run out of ideas for American authors, I wouldn't mind starting on British.  Part of the idea was to discuss authors who are considered classic, mostly deceased, and so not likely to make author visits here!  There are plenty of great British authors that would be fun to discuss.

Well, I don't really have any objection to our covering British authors whom we consider writers of "classic" mysteries. Have to admit, after Poe, Hammett, and Chandler, I started having to exert my little grey cells to think of classic AMERICAN mystery writers. I had to go to Stop! You're Killing Me! to get the names of the authors in my above post, since I had gone blank, blank, blank. Part of the problem is that I have read a LOT of British authors, so when it comes to classics, those names, like Christie, Sayers, Allingham, and Heyer, pop up first for me, and THEN I have to think of an American counterpart!

Also, maybe this will be muddying the waters ever further, but what if we include some YA or even Children's mystery writers? I'm sure most of us grew up reading Nancy Drew, and there are other similar series, like the Trixie Belden one. Think we might include Carolyn Keene or one of the other "Kiddie-mystery" writers into the mix? ( I do know that Carolyn Keene is a pseudonym, and that there were many  "ghost" writers under that name.) If we do pick Nancy Drew for discussion, we could vote on our top five, and from that maybe we could pick a couple, so we'd all be on the same page. Whaddya think, huh?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

For 2013:

John D. MacDonald

???

I kind of hate for us to start substituting British authors in this thread, becke. I'd go along with Ryan in suggesting Anna Katherine Green in her place.

Not to be too heretical, but I've always liked the books written by ROSS MacDonald over those by John D. That quibble aside, I really don't have any objection to our discussing JD's books.

I will be looking forward to our discussing Raymond Chandler's books in December, but in the meantime I will need to be brushing up on Ira Levin and DMD.

Here's a few more names I thought I'd toss into the mix, and we can discuss whether we'd like to cover them in 2013.:

Eric Ambler

Charlotte Armstrong

Anthony Boucher

Ray Bradbury

James M. Cain

Mignon G. Eberhart

Of the above listed authors, Mr. Dickson would be my first choice. I'd also like to read and discuss more books by Anthony Boucher. I really enjoyed reading one of his short novellas in an anthology, but haven't had much luck in getting his novels to read. Becke, you've been to Bouchercon, right? Do they sell some of Anthony's books there????

There were some booksellers at Bouchercon, and I'm sure there were some Anthony Boucher books there. The only one I remember seeing was this one, which is about Anthony Boucher, not by him. Jeffrey Marks wrote it:

Anthony Boucher  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

For 2013:

John D. MacDonald

???

Eric Ambler

Charlotte Armstrong

Anthony Boucher

Ray Bradbury

James M. Cain

Mignon G. Eberhart

There were some booksellers at Bouchercon, and I'm sure there were some Anthony Boucher books there. The only one I remember seeing was this one, which is about Anthony Boucher, not by him. Jeffrey Marks wrote it:

Anthony Boucher  

I think we have Ross MacDonald on the schedule - or at least we've talked about putting him on the schedule. Carter Dickson aka John Dickson Carr is another good one.

Two authors we've featured in the past are Charlotte Armstrong:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/American-Mystery-Classics-Double-Feature-CHARLOTTE-AR...

and, some time back, Ira Levin:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Ira-Levin-NY-Times-Obituary/m-p/120385/highlight/true...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/A-Kiss-Before-Dying-by-Ira-Levin/m-p/104927/highlight...

These weren't in-depth discussions of Ira Levin - I believe he's up in October.

Keep these suggestions coming!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I wanted to mention that we already discussed Doris Miles Disney back in May, as part of the rescheduling:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/American-Mystery-Classics-DORIS-MILES-DISNEY/m-p/1343...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I wanted to mention that we already discussed Doris Miles Disney back in May, as part of the rescheduling:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/American-Mystery-Classics-DORIS-MILES-DISNEY/m-p/1343...

Good point! I need to update the schedule to account for the changes.