Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Free2012
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

Really looking forward to the Raymond Chandler discussion. 

I agree with several forum members who indicate they would like some British authors in the mix as well.  I have read more British than American mystery classics, although I enjoy several that I hear have already been discussed over the last year. I heard from a forum member (can't remember which one) that one of my favorites, Dashielle Hammett, had been discussed not too long ago.  And Rex Stout as well.  Just my luck!!! 

I think to discuss Christie might take at least two months given her body of work and her several series characters.  And not only was her writing complex, but so was she. 

I would like to read more of Anthony Boucher's work, but I can't find copies either.  I did manage to get some of his short stories through an Inter-Library Loan deal in our library network here (Boucher's Choicest), but there are so many just not available.  I admit I have not tried library systems outside the area.  It is sometimes hard to get copies of books from other libraries as they expect you to check out in person. 

I also think that a discussion of Hugh Pentecost or Richard and Frances Lockridge could be worthwhile.  But there are enough names to keep discussions going for years so plenty of choices.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Free2012 wrote:

I agree with several forum members who indicate they would like some British authors in the mix as well.  I have read more British than American mystery classics, although I enjoy several that I hear have already been discussed over the last year. I heard from a forum member (can't remember which one) that one of my favorites, Dashielle Hammett, had been discussed not too long ago.  And Rex Stout as well.  Just my luck!!! 

I think to discuss Christie might take at least two months given her body of work and her several series characters.  And not only was her writing complex, but so was she. 

I would like to read more of Anthony Boucher's work, but I can't find copies either.  I did manage to get some of his short stories through an Inter-Library Loan deal in our library network here (Boucher's Choicest), but there are so many just not available.  I admit I have not tried library systems outside the area.  It is sometimes hard to get copies of books from other libraries as they expect you to check out in person. 

I also think that a discussion of Hugh Pentecost or Richard and Frances Lockridge could be worthwhile.  But there are enough names to keep discussions going for years so plenty of choices.  

If you type "Agatha Christie" in the search box here you'll find links to some of the many, many discussions and guest blogs about her books here. She's a favorite of mine. We've also discussed Richard and Frances Lockridge but not Hugh Pentecost. Thanks for the suggestions!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Free2012 wrote:

Free2012, I've had that happen to me a couple of times-- I forgot to check on this thread, and when I did, found that the discussion of one of the authors whom I had been looking forward to discussing, had already been covered!

becke, I move that we hereby declare that it will always be "open season" on any of the classic authors that you've listed, so the latecomers can go ahead and add their two-cents' worth.

Who knows--maybe that will lead to some interesting conversations that we wouldn't have otherwise. I for one would enjoy hearing from Free2012 on opinions on Dashiel Hammet, or Rex Stout, two of my personal favorites also.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Free2012 wrote:

Free2012, I've had that happen to me a couple of times-- I forgot to check on this thread, and when I did, found that the discussion of one of the authors whom I had been looking forward to discussing, had already been covered!

becke, I move that we hereby declare that it will always be "open season" on any of the classic authors that you've listed, so the latecomers can go ahead and add their two-cents' worth.

Who knows--maybe that will lead to some interesting conversations that we wouldn't have otherwise. I for one would enjoy hearing from Free2012 on opinions on Dashiel Hammet, or Rex Stout, two of my personal favorites also.

I agree - these are "open" threads, with no cut-off date for additional comments or questions.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Is This An Author Worth Looking Into?

Somebody brought Mignon Eberhart to my attention yesterday, and I must admit I don't know much about her.  Would she be an author worth looking into?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Is This An Author Worth Looking Into?

Ryan_G wrote:

Somebody brought Mignon Eberhart to my attention yesterday, and I must admit I don't know much about her.  Would she be an author worth looking into?

YES!! I've read a lot of her books - I think you'd like them!

Hunt With The Hounds  

While the Patient Slept  

Man Missing  

Another Man's Murder  

The Patient in Room 18  

The House on the Roof  

Wolf in Man's Clothing  

From This Dark Stairway  

Five Passengers from Lisbon  

Dead Yesterday and Other Stories  

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke!  I will check the used bookstores next time I'm there.  We could always schedule her for next year if anyone else is interested.  It will give me the push I need to get her books.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Hunt With The Hounds  

While the Patient Slept  

Man Missing  

Another Man's Murder  

The Patient in Room 18  

The House on the Roof  

Wolf in Man's Clothing  

From This Dark Stairway  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Thanks Becke!  I will check the used bookstores next time I'm there.  We could always schedule her for next year if anyone else is interested.  It will give me the push I need to get her books.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I remember having and reading some Eberhart paperbacks back in the 70s, but they are long gone.  However, I got one of her novels in a Got Books package, so I would definitely be up for adding her to the list!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Hunt With The Hounds  

While the Patient Slept  

Man Missing  

Another Man's Murder  

The Patient in Room 18  

The House on the Roof  

Wolf in Man's Clothing  

From This Dark Stairway  

Good idea - remind me if I forget!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Hunt With The Hounds  

While the Patient Slept  

Man Missing  

Another Man's Murder  

The Patient in Room 18  

The House on the Roof  

Wolf in Man's Clothing  

From This Dark Stairway  

Good idea - remind me if I forget!

I'll have to check her out too!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ira Levin was on the schedule for October, but since we've featured his books several times in the past here and since there's been some interest in Mignon G. Eberhart, I suggest we go with Ms. Eberhart for October. We can still get Ira Levin on the schedule in 2013. Is this okay with you all?

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Ira Levin was on the schedule for October, but since we've featured his books several times in the past here and since there's been some interest in Mignon G. Eberhart, I suggest we go with Ms. Eberhart for October. We can still get Ira Levin on the schedule in 2013. Is this okay with you all?

Unfortunately, that is kind of short notice, and I am already all "booked up" (pun intended!) for October.  I'm reading The Doll (Du Maurier), Henry James' The Aspern Papers and The Turn of the Screw, and Murder in Mesopotamia (Agatha Christie).  I do have one Eberhart novel, and so I was hoping to participate when you did her, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Unfortunately, that is kind of short notice, and I am already all "booked up" (pun intended!) for October.  I'm reading The Doll (Du Maurier), Henry James' The Aspern Papers and The Turn of the Screw, and Murder in Mesopotamia (Agatha Christie).  I do have one Eberhart novel, and so I was hoping to participate when you did her, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

Well, Ira Levin was originally scheduled for this month. Would you prefer if we go back to the original plan?

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Becke, I have not heard of this author. Are her books worth reading? They do look interesting.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Becke, I have not heard of this author. Are her books worth reading? They do look interesting.

ReadingPatti

Do you mean Mignon G. Eberhart? I like her books a lot - I've read quite a few, although it's been some years since I read them. She is definitely a "classic!"

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I guess what is boils down to is this - do you prefer it when you've had time to read some books by the author we feature or do you usually wait to find out about the author and THEN read the books? I've read pretty much all of the authors we're featuring for American Mystery Classics - even though I read some awhile ago - so I'll leave this up to you all. I can post the feature any time - I'm just not sure who the final choice is!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I guess what is boils down to is this - do you prefer it when you've had time to read some books by the author we feature or do you usually wait to find out about the author and THEN read the books? I've read pretty much all of the authors we're featuring for American Mystery Classics - even though I read some awhile ago - so I'll leave this up to you all. I can post the feature any time - I'm just not sure who the final choice is!

I like to try to read the author before we discuss them but if I don't get to them before, I can always comment and say that I am intending to read the author. After I have read at least one book, then I will come back and say what I thought about the book.

So, it doesn't matter to me when we discuss an author. Keep Eberhart on and we can learn about her and read her when we get a chance.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I like to try to read the author before we discuss them but if I don't get to them before, I can always comment and say that I am intending to read the author. After I have read at least one book, then I will come back and say what I thought about the book.

So, it doesn't matter to me when we discuss an author. Keep Eberhart on and we can learn about her and read her when we get a chance.

I guess I could post both Ira Levin and Mignon G. Eberhart. Then you can pick and choose between them!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke, I like to read a book before talking to an author. For me it is something that I have to relate to. But it really does not matter to me.

ReadingPatti

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Personally, I prefer to read before discussing.