Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: American Mystery Classics

Sun_Cat wrote:

Thanks for the Craig Rice links, Becke. Those are great bargains.

I've started reading The Sunday Pigeon Murders. It's a real hoot, humorous and so light it might reasonably be called insubstantial. Goes down easy. I wouldn't want a steady diet of such stuff, but so far it's proving to be an entertaining diversion.

I haven't read all of them (couldn't find them all) but most of the ones I read were very much on the light side.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

American Mystery Classics - possible changes

[ Edited ]

Becke, do you think we can do Mignon G. Eberhart and Mary Roberts Rhinehart?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

[ Edited ]

maxcat wrote:

Becke, do you think we can do Mignon G. Eberhart and Mary Roberts Rhinehart?

Great idea!

I just switched Helen MacInnes' spot to Mary Roberts Rinehart. (We can do Helen MacInnes in 2013.)

What do the rest of you think? Should we postpone one of these others to 2013 and put Mignon G. Eberhart in her spot? I've read a lot of her books - we definitely should include her, either this year or next.

Here's the schedule for 2012 - I put it together off the top of my head, so we can switch any of these around:

Authors we've featured so far:

(This one inspired the new feature)  December 2011: EDGAR ALLEN POE

January: ERLE STANLEY GARDNER (aka A.A. FAIR)

February: CRAIG RICE

March: DASHIELL HAMMETT

April: FRANCES AND RICHARD LOCKRIDGE

COMING UP (We can change these around if you want)

May: FREDERICK DANNAY AND MANFRED BENNINGTON LEE (aka ELLERY QUEEN)

June: ED MCBAIN

July: CHARLOTTE ARMSTRONG

August: REX STOUT

September: *NOTE CHANGE* Mary Roberts Rinehart (by popular request)

October: IRA LEVIN

November: DORIS MILES DISNEY

December: RAYMOND CHANDLER

For 2013:

Helen MacInnes

???

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Actually, even though it may be a bit late, would it be possible to delay Elllery Queen?  I am currently reading Middlemarch by George Eliot for a discussion elsewhere, and it is a very long novel and I am finding it slow going, so I think it may well take me all month to read that.  Originally, I only had two short stories by Queen, but when I was helping my mother clear out some of my father's books, I found a paperback with two novels in it, so I don't think I will be able to read even a fraction of that by the last week of this month.  If others are already into their reading of Ellery Queen, that's ok; I will just come back and add to the thread later when I can.  If you can put it off, the best for me would be switching with Ira Levin or Doris Miles Disney, since I have nothing by either, and so won't have to worry if I don't get to anything this month.  Or even Mary Roberts Rhinehart, since I don't have anything by her, either.

I think I read some Mignon G. Eberhart in the past, but no longer have those books.  But as I was just checking my 'inventory' for this feature, I found that a book you sent me with a Rex Stout novel in it also has a novel by Eberhart!  Yay!  Maybe she (he?) could be added to the 2013 lineup?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Actually, even though it may be a bit late, would it be possible to delay Elllery Queen?  I am currently reading Middlemarch by George Eliot for a discussion elsewhere, and it is a very long novel and I am finding it slow going, so I think it may well take me all month to read that.  Originally, I only had two short stories by Queen, but when I was helping my mother clear out some of my father's books, I found a paperback with two novels in it, so I don't think I will be able to read even a fraction of that by the last week of this month.  If others are already into their reading of Ellery Queen, that's ok; I will just come back and add to the thread later when I can.  If you can put it off, the best for me would be switching with Ira Levin or Doris Miles Disney, since I have nothing by either, and so won't have to worry if I don't get to anything this month.  Or even Mary Roberts Rhinehart, since I don't have anything by her, either.

I think I read some Mignon G. Eberhart in the past, but no longer have those books.  But as I was just checking my 'inventory' for this feature, I found that a book you sent me with a Rex Stout novel in it also has a novel by Eberhart!  Yay!  Maybe she (he?) could be added to the 2013 lineup?

That's actually a good idea, since I just found a box full of Ellery Queen books and all of you who qualify for Got Books are getting at least one in your packages. I'll try to mail those tomorrow, but no guarantees.

So who do you want for the end of the month? You guys pick.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm getting a bunch of requests to change the schedule around. Since I just picked these off the top of my head, that's fine with me.

Stay tuned for the updated schedule!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Good question. Are we supposed to pick from the list of American Authors you already have down, or someone who isn't on the list? How about someone like Carolyn Keene, the nom de plume of various writers of the Nancy Drew books? I note we don't have any YA authors, and most of us cut our teeth on books like the Nancy Drew series.

On a separate note, could we add Donis Casey and Betty Webb to our author discussion list? Looks like 1213 is fairly open for grabs at the moment.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sorry becke, I got a bit confused. I think the list you are working on is the American Classic mystery writers. And shoot, now I've gone blank. Well, if I think of someone who could fit in that list, I'll come back and post later.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Good question. Are we supposed to pick from the list of American Authors you already have down, or someone who isn't on the list? How about someone like Carolyn Keene, the nom de plume of various writers of the Nancy Drew books? I note we don't have any YA authors, and most of us cut our teeth on books like the Nancy Drew series.

On a separate note, could we add Donis Casey and Betty Webb to our author discussion list? Looks like 1213 is fairly open for grabs at the moment.

I like the idea of adding Carolyn Keene to our American Mystery Classics feature. 

I'll see if I can book Donis and Betty for later this year!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I'd like to do Carolyn Keene, but not this month, since I wouldn't be able to read the three or four Nancy Drews I have.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G

I just realized Mary Roberts Rinehart is coming up in the Fall, I'm so frickin excited.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I just realized Mary Roberts Rinehart is coming up in the Fall, I'm so frickin excited.

Ryan - I just added her to the schedule. There's a discussion about this over at the Got Books? thread. I'll bring it over here, if I can.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Okay, I just brought over the discussion that started on the Got Books? thread. It shows up just before Ryan's comments.

We've had a request to postpone the Ellery Queen feature, so we're trying to decide who should be featured this month.

We could always skip a month if you'd like more time to read.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Rinehart stays on the list, since I'm in love with her right now and have already read 14 of her books in the last year, which reminds me I still need to get reviews written for two of them.  And I still have more of hers to read.

I do like the idea of Ira Levin, though all I have are two of his plays.  And Carolyn Keene or Franklin W. Dixon would be fun.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Rinehart stays on the list, since I'm in love with her right now and have already read 14 of her books in the last year, which reminds me I still need to get reviews written for two of them.  And I still have more of hers to read.

I do like the idea of Ira Levin, though all I have are two of his plays.  And Carolyn Keene or Franklin W. Dixon would be fun.

We can go ahead and start listing people for 2013, too.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I noticed your message on the other thread, Becke, but I don't see any new suggestions on this thread, so I am still going to say that an author I don't have is best for me this month, as Middlemarch is still taking up all my time, so I am pretty sure I will not have time to read anything else.  I've been reading that novel for about two and a half weeks, and I'm only about two-thirds of the way through it!  It's a good thing I'm enjoying the story!  So the ones I don't have are Doris Miles Disney (never read anything by her) and Ira Levin (have read some of his horror, but do not currently own anything).  But if you do choose somebody I do have, I will just read it later and post next month or something, so that's fine.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I noticed your message on the other thread, Becke, but I don't see any new suggestions on this thread, so I am still going to say that an author I don't have is best for me this month, as Middlemarch is still taking up all my time, so I am pretty sure I will not have time to read anything else.  I've been reading that novel for about two and a half weeks, and I'm only about two-thirds of the way through it!  It's a good thing I'm enjoying the story!  So the ones I don't have are Doris Miles Disney (never read anything by her) and Ira Levin (have read some of his horror, but do not currently own anything).  But if you do choose somebody I do have, I will just read it later and post next month or something, so that's fine.

Let's go with Doris Miles Disney. Her books are hard to find, but definitely worth reading. That way you all don't need to read her books first. I'm hoping someone will bring her books back into print - she was hugely popular in the Sixties.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Let's go with Doris Miles Disney. Her books are hard to find, but definitely worth reading. That way you all don't need to read her books first. I'm hoping someone will bring her books back into print - she was hugely popular in the Sixties.

That's fine with me. I have one of her books from GOT BOOKS! Thanks Becke!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

If you ever find used copies, grab them! I've read all of her books - back in the day, mostly - but I liked them enough to save them all these years.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

If you ever find used copies, grab them! I've read all of her books - back in the day, mostly - but I liked them enough to save them all these years.

I just checked to see what books I have. I remember that you sent me one but I now have four: VOICE FROM THE GRAVE, THE NEXT OF KIN, THE MAGIC GRANDFATHER and BLACKMAIL. So I have found some at thrift stores. I have to admit that I never heard of her before you sent me one of her books. In fact, I thought you were sending me a book about Walt Disney written by one of his family members! LOL
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt