Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Anyone have any suggestions on books or authors????

Hi, this is my first time looking at the mystery books boards, I was wondering if someone could suggest some new books or authors for me.  I love to read Stephen King, Dean Koontz and John Saul.  I also loved Jonathan Kellerman's older books before he started doing the Alex Delaware series which I have never been able to get into (I have tried multiple times but never seem to be able to finish them).  Anyways, I've pretty much read everything by these authors and need some suggestions of new things to read.  Thanks in advance!!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone have any suggestions on books or authors????

Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch Series #15) Hi Nevermore, and welcome to the club.

Becke has some fantastic suggestions for you and here are a few of my favorite mystery authors as well:

The Neighbor 

These are a few more to whet your whistle. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I second all of those! I could add a whole lot more but I think we've got enough here to keep you going for awhile.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone!!!  I will definitely check some of these out!!! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Come back and let us know which ones you liked best.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Will do!!!!

New User
JLEnjoysToRead
0 Kudos

If you read anything by Nelson DeMille you wont be disappointed.  He grabs your attention and holds it until the very end.

If you chose to read anything by this author I would like to hear your opinion.

Contributor
lingling-cat
0 Kudos

One of my favorite authors is Margaret Truman. She has written several books and they are set in Washington DC. With her knowledge of how the system works in that town her books  are very good and the descriptions of the places mentioned in her books make you visit those places   A good example of this is Murder at the Smithsonian.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

lingling-cat wrote:

One of my favorite authors is Margaret Truman. She has written several books and they are set in Washington DC. With her knowledge of how the system works in that town her books  are very good and the descriptions of the places mentioned in her books make you visit those places   A good example of this is Murder at the Smithsonian.

I like her books, too - my mom is hooked on that series! I've read a couple but not all of them.

Have you heard about this?

Perry Mason provided the final evidence that tied up the loose ends of  The President' s Mystery Story, a novel suggested by Franklin Delano Roosevelt and written by six popular mystery novelists (Rupert Hughes, Samuel Hopkins Adams, Anthony Abbot, Rita Weiman, S. S. Van Dyne, and John Erskine).

First serialized in Liberty magazine(beginning on November 16, 1935), it was published in book form in 1936. Gardner s concluding chapter did not appear until the book was reprinted in 1967, when the book was retitled The President's Mystery Plot.

This is taken from the book flap and back cover:

On Sunday evening, May 12, 1935, the President of the United States was entertaining a few friends at an informal supper in the White House.. .In the course of the evening, the talk turned to mystery thrillers.. .Fulton Oursler asked whether the President had ever thought of writing a mystery himself.

Roosevelt chuckled and said "To tell you the truth, I have often thought about it. In fact, I have carried the plot for a mystery in my mind for years. But I can t find the solution to my own plot! And I ve never found anyone else who could either."

"How can a man disappear with five million dollars in any negotiable form and not be traced?"

"For years I have tried to answer that problem. In every method suggested, I have been able to find a flaw. The more you consider the question, the more difficult it becomes. Now--can you tell me how it can be done?"

Thus said President Franklin Delano Roosevelt to his good friend Fulton Oursler, then editor of Liberty Magazine. "Suppose," replied Oursler, "that we were to ask the leading writers of the United States to solve this problem. Why could they not all collaborate on a mystery story in which your problem is dramatized in the person of a man faced with this predicament?"

The President s famous, joyous laugh responded, "That would be fun! Go ahead. See what you can all do with it."

And that is just what Oursler did, going to the outstanding mystery writers of the day and challenging them to take "the President s mystery plot" and see what they could "do with it." Each contributed a chapter to the mystery embroiling the central character, Jim Blake, in a series of seemingly insoluble situations, and then leaving him for the next author in line.

Out of this conversation came a unique event in publishing history--a "chain" mystery novel in which each chapter is written by a different major author of the day. But like Roosevelt, none of them was able to solve "the President s mystery plot" and so it remained unsolved until P---- M---- entered the case.

Jim Blake was left hanging for thirty years, until Erle Stanley Gardner--in the person of P---- M---- came to his rescue, and the result is the volume you now hold in your hand. Wild adventure, zany humor, a truly absorbing mystery plot--plus Arnold Roth s wild illustrations--all make this unique book highly entertaining, and, as Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. says in his introduction, "a natural for the camp generation."

The President's Mystery Plot is "high camp" entertainment at its best. If you like wild adventure, zany humor and a truly absorbing mystery plot--plus the pop-art illustrations of Arnold Roth--then The President's Mystery Plot is for you.

"A literary curiosity that's plain fun."

There was even a movie made about it:

Read more about it here: 

http://www.libertymagazine.com/presidential_roosevelt.htm