Frequent Contributor
Pipper
0 Kudos

Anyone out there a J.D.Robb fan?

I would love to be Eve Dallas in my next life and kick serious criminal butts! I like the stories being set in the future to see how high-tech plays a part in the story but also like that they don't get too heavy into sci-fi. What do you like about the "Death" series?
Reader 2
ebbielou
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone out there a J.D.Robb fan?

I love JD Robb books. It is not the future setting that sucks me in, but the strong character development. After reading all of the books in the series, I feel like I know them. I overlook the future-ness. It's all about the characters and the chase for bad guys, for me anyway.
Frequent Contributor
Pipper
0 Kudos

And it wouldn't be bad being married to Roarke either! Haha! Do you watch HGTV and see their host Carter Oosterhaus? If he had blue eyes, he would be Roarke!!

The most recent book I read was where Eve's sidekick's parents visited. My gut tells me they are going to end up being related to Eve somehow -- like maybe her parents and she was taken from them when a young child. Just speculation.

I also like her relationship with Feeney, her mentor. It's nice to see the respect she has for him and Roarke has the same amount of respect.
New User
babyflea
0 Kudos

I have not read any of the J.D Robb books but I am a huge fan of Nora Roberts!!!!! Have you read any books by Luanne Rice if not you have to read the book CLOUD NINE... it is so good and it will make you cry. I also like Nicholas Sparks I have read all of his books expect the new one that just came out but I will evenually read that one as well.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just started the first book of Nora Roberts new trilogy: Blood Brothers. It seems as if she's edging away from the romance genre and moving more and more into mystery/suspence/paranormal, kind of like Stephen Kings -- which is interesting, since he wrote the blurb on her cover.
Frequent Contributor
Pipper
0 Kudos

I just saw the Blood Brothers book at the airport and was curious to know if she would follow the same type of story line as she has with Eve Dallas. These sound even less romance than she has in her romance novels and in her Eve Dallas novels. Frankly, I can do with fewer sex scenes in the Eve/Roarke novels. Of course, that could just be me being jealous. Haha! As soon as I finish the stack of 25 novels I currently have lined up, I'll try the Bloood Brothers trilogy. I'd be curious to hear more of your thoughts on these new boooks.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I liked the book a lot and I'm eager to read the next installments!
Frequent Contributor
Pipper
0 Kudos

I think it takes a lot of guts for a writer to switch to a new character

After 28 or so "Death" novels featuring Eve and Roarke, I applaud J D Robb for introducing new characters with Blood Brothers. That's taking a risk, especially in such a competitive business where you are often only remembered for your last novel.
Contributor
ROY99
0 Kudos

Re: I think it takes a lot of guts for a writer to switch to a new character

I absolutely love the "In Death" series. A friend of mine introduced me to these books a couple of months ago & I have been sharing the series with a group of women from all over (NY, SC, Canada, Hawaii, Utah, and me in FL). It amazes me how a good book can bring so many people together--I have made many friends reading the In Death and other books together. I have read the first six in the series & will begin Holiday in Death this week. I, too, love the development of the characters & watching Eve & Roarke's relationship grow. This series makes me feel as though these characters are a part of my life. I love the "keep you guessing" who the murderer is. Even though I have gotten to the point I can pretty much figure out "whodunnit" before the end, Robb (or Roberts) makes me question myself as to whether I have it figured out. Once I start reading, it is difficult to put the book down.
New User
jak5774
0 Kudos

I have read Blood Brothers. I am a huge JD Robb, Nora Roberts Fan. I enjoyed the book blood brothers. As with her other books in the same vane, it is a fast read and I could not put it down. It is very similar to the vampire trilogy she did last year. Her Eve Dallas book are my favorite. The characters are complex and they keep growing.
Frequent Contributor
butterfly30
0 Kudos

I love Eve Dallas and her Partner Peabody(I think?). I had picked up a book in the middle of the series, I have started at the beginning now. I read so many of them back to back that I had to take a break from the series. I do enjoy reading them very much.
"Tomorrow Is A brand New Day With No Mistakes In It" Anne of Green Gables
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

jak5774 wrote:
I have read Blood Brothers. I am a huge JD Robb, Nora Roberts Fan. I enjoyed the book blood brothers. As with her other books in the same vane, it is a fast read and I could not put it down. It is very similar to the vampire trilogy she did last year. Her Eve Dallas book are my favorite. The characters are complex and they keep growing.

I am a big J.D. Robb fan. A co-worker let me read one and it was like almost the middle of the series and I went to the Nora Roberts site and got of a list of all the J.D. Robb books. I've been buying and reading them in order. I want to own them all. I carry the list in my purse so that when I'm at the book store I can pick up the ones I don't have.
Frequent Contributor
angelgirl
0 Kudos

I, like you would like to have Roarke afor a husband. I reall like the writing in the future and the gadgets they use. Her new book Strangers In Death is out this month, I can hardly wait to get it and read it.
Contributor
SherriLee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
When this series was first recommended to me, my first thought was, I dont read crap like that. Well , apparently I do.  I love these books.  LOVE them, and yes, it is the characters that run them, not the future stuff (tho it is a bit cool)  In the entire run, there have been 2-3 weak ones, but you forgive and read the next one, because you know these people and need to find out what they are up to. 

Message Edited by SherriLee on 02-13-2008 09:11 AM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I know what you mean. That's how I felt about paranormals and historicals until recently. I'm still not huge on historicals but, like everything, it depends on the author. There are some authors I would like no matter what they genre they write in.

That said, I do love Nora Roberts but I'm not hooked on J.D. Robb. I've read her "shorts" and the book that was half Nora and half J.D. (which I believe are her sons' first initials). When my TBR pile goes down a bit, I'll try these again.
New User
bettyboop96
0 Kudos

Yes!,, I read them over and over can not wait ; new one due in Feb
becke_davis
0 Kudos

bettyboop96 wrote:
Yes!,, I read them over and over can not wait ; new one due in Feb

Concealed in Death (In Death Series #38) (Signed Edition)