Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Author Wendy Gager blogs about Hercule Poirot

[ Edited ]

Hi, Wendy, and thanks for joining us!  I also got heavily into reading Agatha Christie in junior and senior high school.

As I read your blog about your 'love affair' with Poirot, a thought came to me - I wonder whether there is a link between the sex of an author's main sleuth and their earlier preference for Poirot or Miss Marple.  If we took a poll, would we find that authors with male sleuths are Poirot fans, and authors with female sleuths prefer Miss Marple?  Or maybe they even love Tommy and Tuppence, and ended up with a detecting duo of their own!  I am sure that many mystery authors have been, to some extent, influenced by Agatha Christie, and this gender influence may be conscious for some and subconscious for others (if it exists).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

That was a wonderful blog about Hercule Poirot. I didn't know he was such a small man, I pictured him on the TV series as being taller. I think my best remembrance was The Murder on the Orient Express. Suchet did a new version of the book and it was outstanding. Though I am  Miss Marple fan, the Poirot mysteries were just as good.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dulcinea3 wrote:

Hi, Wendy, and thanks for joining us!  I also got heavily into reading Agatha Christie in junior and senior high school.

As I read your blog about your 'love affair' with Poirot, a thought came to me - I wonder whether there is a link between the sex of an author's main sleuth and their earlier preference for Poirot or Miss Marple.  If we took a poll, would we find that authors with male sleuths are Poirot fans, and authors with female sleuths prefer Miss Marple?  Or maybe they even love Tommy and Tuppence, and ended up with a detecting duo of their own!  I am sure that many mystery authors have been, to some extent, influenced by Agatha Christie, and this gender influence may be conscious for some and subconscious for others (if it exists).

What a fabulous question! We should take a survey.

Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

Yes it is the same one. It is funny how the titles are different depending on whether they are an American or an English publication. I think they changed it to take out the Lord Edgeware figuring that wouldn't go over well with Americans. Just my take anyway.

Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

That is really interesting. I wonder how true it is for writers. I will have to start asking people to see. I hope others will weigh in and let us know which sleuths the liked from Agatha Christie and what they write now. Can't wait to see the unofficial results! Thanks for the comment!

Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

Partly he seems smaller now because people in general are so much taller. Also I think Hollywood has a lot to do with making him appear taller. The esthetics wouldn't be right if he was too short for the leading ladies.

Now we are taking an unofficial poll. If you are a writer, do you write with a male or female sleuth?

Wendy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

WS_Gager wrote:

Yes it is the same one. It is funny how the titles are different depending on whether they are an American or an English publication. I think they changed it to take out the Lord Edgeware figuring that wouldn't go over well with Americans. Just my take anyway.

I think some of the PBS Christie shows use the British titles, because I've noticed a lot of the books have been reissued here and are now available in British AND American titles. Which makes it even more confusing!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

WS_Gager wrote:

Partly he seems smaller now because people in general are so much taller. Also I think Hollywood has a lot to do with making him appear taller. The esthetics wouldn't be right if he was too short for the leading ladies.

Now we are taking an unofficial poll. If you are a writer, do you write with a male or female sleuth?

Wendy

Well, I write romantic suspense, which means I have a hero and heroine who get caught up in the investigation. Now, I am a big fan of Tuppence and Tommy,. but I like Miss Marple best. 

But I also like a lot of the non-series-detective books that feature female "leads."

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Very nice article on Poirot. Christie made him very unique. Someone I could picture in my mind.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

WS_Gager, Thanks for being with us. What do you like about Hercule Poirot? Do you like him better than Miss Marple?

Do you have a favorite?

ReadingPatti

Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

I read a lot of Miss Marple but if I had choice it would be Poirot all the way. Not sure why, he is just my favorite. Hands down.

Also want to add a special thanks to Becke. She does a great job hosting and all the trivia she finds is amazing.

Wendy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wendy - sorry I was gone for awhile. I went to a Jenny Crusie book signing and got home pretty late. Thank you so much for a great blog - you really got the conversation going!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thank you, Wendy, for your blog on Poirot, and becke, for all the wonderfully organized information on Poirot.

I don't know if I have a favorite Poirot books--they are all great, really. I do get a kick out of the ones where Hastings accompanies Poirot. I like the quote where Poirot says to Hastings, "Always the auburn hair", as that is the kind of woman Arthur frequently  is attracted to. I am  now looking forward to reading your books, Wendy, with an eye open for possible Poirot connections! What fun!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Thank you, Wendy, for your blog on Poirot, and becke, for all the wonderfully organized information on Poirot.

I don't know if I have a favorite Poirot books--they are all great, really. I do get a kick out of the ones where Hastings accompanies Poirot. I like the quote where Poirot says to Hastings, "Always the auburn hair", as that is the kind of woman Arthur frequently  is attracted to. I am  now looking forward to reading your books, Wendy, with an eye open for possible Poirot connections! What fun!

Oh, I like that, too - Hastings is such a romantic!